HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Can EZServe to control Keypadlinc (KPL) buttons?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Would like EZServe to control/link to individual buttons on KPL but having issues. Is there a reason this won’t work or is it my method?

Thanks

Peter

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can link to first button (that controls load) but not others so far

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unfortunately, that is not the way the keypadlinc works. The primary button you can control, but the other buttons are not responders. So, a controller such as the EZServe cannot actuate the other buttons. They are groups setup within the Keypad Linc.

Now – you can control whatever device you have setup for control from those buttons, as those should be responders.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm I’m not sure I completely understand.

If I link a secondary keypadlinc button to the outletlinc and cross link (ie outletlinc back to keypadlinc) and then turn on outletlinc via a timer in EZServe are you saying that secondary keypadlinc will indicate status of outletlinc?

Thanks

Peter

Anonymous
    Inactive

The way the keypad works is that it has groups for the buttons (basically).

So, when you press a button, it then sends an insteon command to the device(s) in that group. The button itself is not a physical entity (responder), so we cannot tell it to “turn on” or “turn off”.

You will have to add the devices you want to control into the EZSrve and then control them directly by addresses or groups.

Now, we can control the status shown on the keypad linc as I mentioned in the other thread – I’ll get that demo out there.

-Paul

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got it – thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have 2 RemoteLincs. I’ve “linked” the 6 keys on this device to a mix of outletlincs and also to the specific keypads on the 8 button keypadlinc. I’ve also linked the individual buttons on the keypadlinc to semi-match the buttons on the remotelincs. This has worked pretty well.

As long as I operate my loads from either the remotelincs or the keypadlinc, the lights on the keypad will match up with the status of the lights. Of course, the timers running on EZServer do not link up this way tho I hope that it will work this way in the future.

It would be very interesting if there were an application on the PC that would log the Insteon traffic. It would become easy to follow how things work and to debug things.

Just a thought.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are working on a very user friendly way to keep these updated.

In regards to logging – there is of course a utility.

Question to users out there – would a syslog server work for you guys? Are you aware of what this is, or would you prefer a client running on a PC that connects and records the info?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If a syslog server is a separate device, I would not like that. I’d prefer a program that I could run on my PC that is already on the network.

I would not think you would want to waste programming space on the EZServe hardware for logging purposes.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Question to users out there – would a syslog server work for you guys? Are you aware of what this is, or would you prefer a client running on a PC that connects and records the info?

Stick with Syslog. That way you can log to anyone who’s got a standard Syslog server, and you don’t have to worry about providing (and supporting) your own log server software — just point people to a list of free and low-cost syslog servers for windows.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How would a generic syslog server tell that it was Insteon traffic versus normal network browsing?

When EZServe receives a data block from a device, does it then put it out as a traceable IP Data Block as well? If not, you would not have complete tracking of the INSTEON conversations that are going on.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently we are sending IP traffic via all connected sockets for insteon or x10 messages.

The syslog would be an addition – each insteon packet would be tagged, and sent out to the network. This is currently how we are leaning, though we will provide a means to disable the network traffic if users would prefer to not have it enabled.

For those not familiar – here is syslog on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syslog

Anonymous
    Inactive

I apologize in advance if I am being confused by the “Responder” terminology as it relates to EZServ. I have not yet unpacked my EZServ. In the Insteon world, Keypadlinc buttons 2-8 can be linked as Responders and do function as Responders. Every Input on my EZIO2X4s and EZIO6I that have active connections have at least one Keypadlinc button in the 2-8 range linked to it as a Responder. That way I display the status of the condition being monitored by the Input. For example, Input 1 on a 2X4 is connected to a magnetic switch on the garage bay door. The ON/OFF status of Input 1 tells me if the garage door is open or closed. I have linked a Keypadlinc button 7 as a Responder to Input 1 on the 2X4. Button 7 LED on the Keypadlinc reflects the ON/OFF status of Input 1, and therefore the OPEN/CLOSE status of the garage bay door. Link records look like this…

EZIO2X4 01.01.01

Link record 1 – Controller of device: 02.02.02 Group : 1 Data 1,9,29

Keypadlinc 02.02.02

Link record 1 – Responder of device: 01.01.01 Group: 1 Data fe,1f,7

When the EZIO2X4 sends an ON command to the Keypadlinc, button 7 LED turns on, when the 2X4 sends an OFF command to the Keypadlinc, button 7 LED turns off.

The “7” in the Responder link record in the Keypadlinc identifies the button number that is acting as the responder. Buttons 2-8 on a Keypadlinc must function as responders or the LEDs under the buttons would never be in sync with the devices in the Insteon network that they are controlling or monitoring. I have many Keypadlinc devices and they have always worked that way. They would be useless otherwise.

Now, for EZServ. It sounds to someone standing on the outside looking in, who obviously has no experience with EZServ as yet, but with years of experience using Insteon Keypadlinc devices, that EZServ has a serious issue not being able to define Keypadlinc buttons 2-8 as responders. If this is only a misunderstanding resulting from terminology I apologize again. However, EZServ must be able to handle Keypadlinc buttons 2-8 as responders, using Insteon world words. And it must be able to do this without Peeks and Pokes.

I am adding some objective information to demonstrate the scope of the problem. The following devices are currently installed in my Insteon network….

(3) Icon in-wall dimmers
    (22) Icon in-wall on/off switches
    (3) Lamplincs
    (1) Controlinc
    (3) EZIO2X4s
    (1) EZIO6I
    (Eight) (8) Keypadlincs – Button 1

That is a total of 41 devices currently installed and supported by EZServ (I assume).

(Eight) (8) Keypadlincs – Buttons 2-8

That is a total of 56 buttons not supported by EZServ

There is hardly a circuit in my Insteon network that will not be adversely affected by not having support for Keypadlinc buttons 2-8. All the active Inputs on the EZIO2X4s and EZIO6I are linked to a Keypadlinc button in the 2-8 range.

Certainly not every Keypadlinc button 2-8 is currently being used in my Insteon network. I like to have a button or two on each Keypadlinc available for expansion. For example, the Keypadlinc at the top of the basement stairs controls and monitors the 6 light circuits in a partially finished basement. Button 7 and 8 will be used if more light circuits are added as the basement is finished. Same with the Keypadlinc covering the detached garage lighting. Button 7 and 8 on that Keypadlinc are currently unused. Another Keypadlinc is dedicated to the monitoring and controlling of the garage bay doors. Four Keypadlinc buttons cover the four Inputs on one of the EZIO2X4s monitoring the fully open/fully closed status of the two bay doors, with two more of the Keypadlinc buttons controlling the two bay door openers through the two Outputs on the same EZIO2X4. In this case, buttons 1 and 2 are unused.

With Keypadlinc buttons 2-8 functioning as responders; even Simplehomenet hardware devices accepting those buttons as responders, I think the case is made for EZServ to pick up support for Keypadlinc buttons 2-8 as responders. Please!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry it’s taken me so long to clarify this.
    EZSrve defaults to link as a Controller, that is, when devices are linked to it with the electronic or pushbutton method, a controller link will be written in the EZSrve PLM, and a corresponding responder link will be written in the responder. Thus, it is possible to link buttons 2-8 of a keypadlinc, just as it is possible to link relays 1-8 in an EZIO8SA, or relays 1-4 in an EZIO4O. The method is as described in the user guide for most INSTEON devices. Simply go to add a device, select a new group, enter a name (such as KPL button 3) and hit “save”. Then, when prompted to add a record in the PLM, say yes. The EZSrve goes into linking mode. Then press the corresponding button on the KPL you want linked for about 6 seconds (the main button lights up or flashes). The EZSrve will say that it found a device and complete the linking. What just happened, is that a device was added (the particular button on the KPL) that can now be controlled like any other device.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must be doing something wrong. I’ve tried to add the second key of my 8 key keypadlinc. I’ve even gotten a message that it added the device correctly. But, then I cannot seem to find the device in the device list.

What gives??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.