HOME Forums Controllers EZX10RF X10 Remote to Insteon IO Linc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

1st – I’ve got my x10 remote to turn an insteon light on/off. I used the manual process of linking/etc. Seems to work fine.

Now, I’m trying to turn my x10 remote into a garage door opener. I have 2 Insteon IO lincs on 2 doors and work fine with insteon.

Going into SHN (2.02e) I am able to connect to the PLM. I go into ‘Manage Device Links’ and enter in my Insteon ID. I click display records and get a TON of ‘Unexpected Inbound Message Type. 2 D4…………….’

After a bunch of OK clicks I can see a link record. For the life of me I can’t seem to convert that data back to the Insteon ID of the light I am turning IN/OFF.

Device ID points to my PowerLinc USB Modem, Group 0 and Device Link Data FF 1F 1 isn’t close to any Insteon ID I have.

Going into EZX10RF I can read the index and get index 1 and the correct house/unit code. Group is now 1 and my cmd1/2 for on off are 11/0 and 13/0

I wanted to simply find the light Insteon ID that the x10 remote turns on/off and replace it with the Garage IO ID … and not have to go through the manual linking/etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The I/O Linc shipped since March 2012 are I2CS devices. The PLM must be authorized to communicate with an I2CS device. Otherwise the device returns invalid information. Sounds like the PLM is not authorized to communicate with the I/O Linc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This might help with the errs but doesn’t seem to answer my linking question(s)

Is there a way with this software and/or HouseLinc to configure the x10 remote to control Insteon devices?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Simplehomenet Utility Suite is not an HA application, It can perform individual tasks but does not contain the logical functions to independently manage I2CS devices. It does support the checksum aspects of I2CS so it can physically read/write a link record to an I2CS device. However, it does not contain the logic/function to generate the overall environment required to independently establish the I2CS environment required for a PLM to interface with an I2CS device. If the PLM is already authorized to control the I2CS device the SHN Utility can read and write links records but the Utility cannot establish the authorized environment.

Cannot speak to SmartLabs HouseLinc capabilities. The Smarthome Insteon Gold Line support number can likely provide the HouseLinc information.

The Universal Devices ISY does manage Scenes (links) betweens Insteon devices (including the EZX10RF) and other Insteon devices that require I2CS support.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the replies but unfortunately I am still at a loss.

Here’s how I think it works

X10 remote –> (X10 Signal) –> EZX10RF

EZX10RF (internal DB says x10-123 should go to insteon-XYZ) –> insteon network (insteon-XYZ ON)

insteon XYZ (lamp) turns on

With that I was hoping I could simply change the insteon network id above with some sort of tool/sw?

Anonymous
    Inactive

You indicated earlier the I/O Linc was the device you wanted to change the EZX10RF to point to. The I/O Linc is an I2CS device. That update can be done with the SHN Utility if the PLM has been authorized to talk to the I/O Linc. If the PLM is not been authorized to communicate with the I/O Linc that cannot be done with the SHN Utility.

HouseLinc does not make changes to individual link records. It manages Scenes (links). I do not know how much HouseLinc supports the EZX10RF. HouseLinc does support I2CS devices.

The ISY does not make changes to individual link records. It manages Scenes (links). It does support the EZX10RF and does support I2CS devices.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What may be missing in the understanding is that when a device is linked to another device both devices have link records that point at each other. It is not just the EZX10RF being changed to point to the I/O Linc. The I/O Linc requires a link pointing back to the EZX10RF. It is this part, pointing the I/O Linc back to the EZX10RF where the problem arises.

EZIOX10RF -> I/O Linc
    I/O Linc -> EZX10RF

The SHN Utility exists to configure SHN devices. The Utility has no function to configure the I/O Linc. As such the Utility is not set up to manage an I2CS I/O Linc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the follow-up. I ended up manually (buttons) configuring the EZX10RF with the ioLinc and my garage doors work perfectly … I was trying to not have to break out the ladder 😉

Thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.