HOME Forums General Product Ideas Sensor to detect a Gas Stove was left ON

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Perhaps,
    A Kitchen monitor, where
    – one input is to detect a Gas Stove left ON,
    – Electric Oven left ON.
    – Smoke detector
    – Water leak detector
    – etc …

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is such thing as a propane detector – my motorhome has one – couldn’t you hook something like this to an EzIO2x4? I realize natural gas is not propane but maybe there is also a sensor for this.

Electric oven left on – how about hooking a current transformer to the analog inputs of the same EzIO2x4?

Aren’t they presently selling a water leak detector?

Anonymous
    Inactive

That will be too late to detect propane leaking. I just want to detect a forgetful mistake of leaving the stove on.. However, I’ve thought about it some more. Since gas stove has a igniter which runs on 240V, it’s probably easy to wire a 240V relay to the igniter circuit. That relay will energize as long as any knob is not in the off position. THe relay can be an input to EZIO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you sure? My first thought is a gas stove (like mine) would run on 120 not 240V, as the only reason it needs power in the first place is to operate the low-voltage electronics and possibly the igniter which would consume something along the lines of milliamps. I suppose not all stoves are the same.

And then, how would your setup tell the difference between the stove left on versus you’re just cooking food?

Finally, what would your Insteon-based network do to inform you of the problem? Would you, or somebody else, dedicate a light or something to this? If it were me, I’d ask myself why not just buy the gas detector for RV’s and stick it on the wall so it can reliably just sound an alarm without the fuss of making it Insteon?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.