HOME Forums Irrigation EZFlora Problems with EZRain

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I found thet Ken Millers freeware program also can tell you what SDM is in use and its path. I also had a few different SDMs installed.
    SetSHPort from: http://www.kenmill.net/PublicInsteon/index.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pauln,
    I decided to take your suggestion #3 and start with a clean machine. I have a second computer from which I removed all smarthome related software using Add/Remove. I also deleted all instances of SDM3.exe. I am also using a different PLC (2814U) on this computer. I installed houselink and then the utility. At this point houselinc and the utility show up in Add/Remove, but there is no Device Manager listed. The SDM3.exe is located in C:Program FilesSmartLabsHouseLinc Desktop. This is the default location installed by houselinc.

Here are the SDM Logs:

RUNNING JUST THE UTILITY:
    downloadTimer started
    timerActivate enabled
    UI:ConnectedAndReady
    SDM:DM=active,1.01.138.308,4/8/2007 1:20:56 PM,responded,00.D5.70,2.12,xdevices=True
    starttime=00:10

THIS TIME RUNNING FIRST HOUSELINC:
    PLC:setlatlong=true,40.870914,-73.04702
    downloadTimer started
    timerActivate enabled
    ui:IsResponding
    PLC:isresponding=True
    uifinished:IsResponding
    ui:!sendeventraw=0x55
    PLC:sendeventraw=True
    uifinished:!sendeventraw=0x55
    SDM:DM=active,1.01.138.308,4/8/2007 1:23:19 PM,responded,00.D5.70,2.12,xdevices=True
    starttime=00:10
    ui:!Salad
    PLC:eventraw=55
    PLC:eventraw=FF
    PLC:salad=true,vid=0001,pid=0003,rev=000C
    uifinished:!Salad

THEN RUNNING THE UTILITY ONLY ADDS THE FOLLOWING LINE:

But at this point the utility runs fine. On my main machine the Device Manager shows up in Add/Remove, it does not show up now. Do I also have to install the SDM308 separately for it to show up in Add/Remove, and if so what location. The default is C:Program FilesCommon FilesSmarthomeDevice Manager, which is different from what Houselinc did above.

So far, I only have only installed houselinc and the utility on this computer with the above results. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,
    George.

Anonymous
    Inactive

BLH,

The SDM3 icon does show up, once, in the system tray in all cases. I only have ‘General Log’ and ‘Timers Log’ tabs, are you referring to the body of the log where the traffic gets listed?

Thanks for the port utility information. I also had several copies of the SDM on my other computer, but I am fairly certain that I was running the same one for each of the applications. I have since removed all but one. I know this 2nd computer only has one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It appears that installing houselinc creates and registers an instance of SDM3.exe. When you install the device manager by itself, then it is located under common files as you describe. So, indeed, your main machine has two instances installed.

For your main machine to work reliably, it sounds like the following steps should produce a satisfactory result:

1) First try to uninstall just the device manager from Add/Remove- this may work by itself…
    2) Continue cleaning out the main machine of houselinc and the applications / utilities. Do NOT install a separate SDM, use the one the comes with houselinc.
    3) Install houselinc first. Then you can install the simplehomenet applications as required.

Let us know if this works for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Before I start cleaning out the main machine, would it not be better to first get the 2nd machine working? The second machine has already been cleaned up and has had first houselinc installed and then the utility. It still exhibits the same behavior as the main machine, namely, it will only run correctly, if houselinc is already running.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GPG,

Sorry, I misunderstood your last posting. We will investigate different configurations here with houselinc. We need to determine the best method to have houselinc, which comes with it’s own SDM version work with our utilities.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you need any information about my machine or want me to test something out, just let me know. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought that the SDM3 with Houselinc Desktop was the last one released for us developers to use.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did anyone find resolution on this? Thank you to Simplehome – I have a unit that is working correctly in the hardware sense. However, I’m now having problems getting it programmed.

I can store times into the unit (with the occasional error stating “Error Sending Message – Please Confirm EZRain Module ID or Retry Command”). However, when I “Get” the times back, it has randomly changed them. In the Manual section it typically brings back the same stored times of 80, 4, 0, 32, 128, 0, 0, 0. The 80 in Zone 1 typically changes to various numbers. However, the 4, 32 and 128 always come up. The other programs 1-4 typically just dont’ store the times I put in there. And if they do store once, they are gone very quickly and replaced with zeros or other random times (the most recent being 30 minutes).

Seems like it should be simpler than this – I’ve been spending a ton of time trying to get this configured!

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I still have not been able to get the config utility to Get or Store times using either of my computers. I am waiting for SimpleHomeNet to provide some solution. Unlike you, I never get any error messages; the unit just hangs up part way through the transmission.

Fortunately, I have be able to enter/edit my times using my HouseLinc software without any problems at all. For the timers, I use InHomeFre.
    This at least enables me to use the EZrain unit. Along with all the other testing I have done, I really think the problem is with the config utility and only an updated version will resolve these issues.

On the plus side, once programmed, the EZrain unit has so far worked flawlessly. I was even able to set it up with X10 addresses, so that my old X10 wireless remote control can control the zones, which is especially useful when working outside on the sprinkler system.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of items I have been able to figure out:

I am able to reproduce the errors you are seeing using houselinc. If I just install houselinc (which includes an SDM) and then install the utility, I can run the utility if houselinc is in the background. This is awkward, but it works. If I install another SDM on top of this, and the run the utility by itself, it does not always work.

In regards to the issue with programming and incorrect read values, I do not understand what is happening, there is something unique to your setup / module. I would ask you either call the toll free support number or give me an email directly:

1-877-495-0144

paul@simplehomenet.com

We will be able to provide you more targeted support and help you resolve the issue ASAP. You are right, it shouldn’t be this hard.

-Paul

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are having difficulty with noise or suffering frequent retries, there is a new version of the EZRain utility available for download on our site that has a more robust communication engine.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.