HOME Forums Controllers EZX10RF Can’t link after update

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hello,

I just got my EZX10RF back from updating. Before the update I used the QS guide Oct 21/07. I see the guide on your website (Rev 1.6 Nov 3, 2009) is a little different in the initial holding the set button, it was previously 4 seconds now it is 12. Following the procedure I can’t link. I hold the button 12 seconds, release and the blue LED blinks dimly. I press button p11 on my X10 remote and the LED goes bright and blinks faster. I use indigo so I click on the “Send PowerLinc Button” in place of the button on the 2413U. The blue LED stops for a second then starts blinking again. I press the set button on the EZX10RF for 4 seconds and the LED stops blinking, I don’t want any timers so I press again for 4 seconds and the LED stops then starts blinking again so I press the button once to finish. Using the utility I check Manage Device Links and nothing has been written. Is there a newer procedure?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What option are you selecting for Links Database Size when Displaying the link database?

EDIT: for a refreshed device Links Database Size: Large would be the expected choice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I couldn’t get manual linking to work but I have got it set up using the Utility. I have established 4 links to 4 buttons on a KR22 x10 remote. Button 1-4 on the remote correspond to Insteon buttons 1-4.

I want the responder for the EZX10RF Insteon buttons to be the 2413U so I can use the EZX10RF Insteon buttons in Indigo. Below are the 4 links for the EZX10RF. Do I also need to create links in the 2413U to be a responder to the EZX10RF? Using the links below can you tell me the format to create the links in the 2413U if they are needed?

thanks,

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

The link records look good. They are Controller records in the EZX10RF. The X10 Code Records (Virtual Inputs) have to be set for each X10 button if you did not link using the Set button method.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I set the X10 codes for each button. Do I also need to create links in the 2413U to be a responder to the EZX10RF? Can you tell me the format to create the links in the 2413U if they are needed?

thanks,

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Insteon requires Responder link records in the responder device for each Group with the Insteon address of the Controller.

The SHN Utility cannot be used to write link records in the PLM being used for powerline communication.

A responder link record contains

Group number matching group number used by the controller
    ID is the Insteon address of the controller
    LD1/2/3 has no meaning in a responder link record in a PLM and can be set to 00 00 00

Anonymous
    Inactive

Then I have it set wrong as the links I sent you have the 2413U set as the controller when it is actually the responder. The links I sent should have the address of the EZX10RF set as the controller.

I am using a separate 2412S PLM just for the Utility and I have a 2413U for use with Indigo so I can write links to the 2413U?

So I have to set links in the 2413U to set it as a responder to the address of the EZX10RF?

thanks,

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob

Sorry, I misunderstood that post. The link records in the EZX10RF should be Controller of links with the Insteon address pointing to the PLM. The link records in the PLM should be Responder to links with the Insteon address of the EZX10RF. The EZX10RF is functioning as a Controller, the PLM is functioning as a Responder.

You can write link records into a PLM with the SHN Utility when it is not the PLM being used by the Utility for powerline access. The Link Database Size: for a 2413 is Medium (link database starts at 1FF8). Verify this by displaying link records in the 2413 before writing new ones. You need to find the end of the active link list in the PLM anyway. All of my 2413 PLMs start the link database at 1FF8.

If you have any problems with all of this you should be able to use the Set button method, using the PLM Set button when time to identify the Responder. Some later PLMs (internal in the EZX10RF) may need an extra tap of the EZX10RF Set button to complete the linking process after what is described as the last 4 second EZX10RF Set button tap. I think the blue shaded area of the Quick Start guides have been updated to reflect this.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got all the links for the 2413U and there were 55 of them. I don’t have that many Insteon devices so I matched up the addresses of the devices I have to the links as shown below. The links that don’t match up are at the bottom, I should be able to delete those right? Is there any other way to clean up unused links other than delete them?

You say the links database starts at 1FF8 but I don’t see anything that corresponds to that number. Wouldn’t the end of my active link list in the PLM be Link Rec 55 as seen below?

If I delete the unused links recs can I write new ones in the deleted ones place? For example if I delete link rec 4 can I write a new link rec 4?

I can see only one link exists for the EZX10RF button one so I can write the links for the other 3 buttons.

thanks,

bob

ApplianceLinc 0F.80.D8
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.B7.16
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.B7.50
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.CD.86
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.CE.D1
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.CF.B3
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.D0.42
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.D1.8E
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.D2.0D
    ApplianceLinc V2 07.D3.A7
    ApplianceLinc V2 08.28.A7
    EZIO82X4 Input/Output Controller 09.FB.D9
    EZX10RF Wireless Sensor Receiver 08.9B.59
    ICON Appliance 04.D8.6F
    ICON Appliance 04.D8.73
    ICON Appliance 13.55.08
    ICON Appliance 13.55.38
    ICON Appliance 13.55.4C
    ICON Appliance 13.55.9B
    ICON Appliance 13.56.D1
    LampLinc V2 04.D2.1F
    Motion Sensor 14.17.23
    RemoteLinc 0C.48.97
    ToggleLinc V2 Relay 05.9D.9B
    TriggerLinc 13.E4.C7
    TriggerLinc 13.E5.ED

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob

There is an MSB tag (Most Significant Byte) which identifies the high order byte of the memory addresses used when accessing the link database. I would expect it to be MSB=1F for a 2413 PLM. Link record 1 is located as 1FF8, link record 2 at 1FF0, link record 3 at 1FE8, and so on. There is a flag byte at the beginning of each 8 byte link record that indicates Controller/Responder type link record, and whether the link record is “active”. You can also watch the Insteon Traffic tab. Look for a cmd1 of 0x28 Set MSB command. The cmd2 value is the high order memory address which I would expect to be 0x1F for a 2413 PLM link record 1.

The only way to clean up the link database is one record at a time if using the SHN Utility. Since you have records for devices not defined to Indigo perhaps that product has a means of rebuilding the PLM link database with only valid devices. I am not familiar with that aspect of Indigo. Also if Indigo has a means of backing up the PLM link database that would be an good thing to do. Very easy for a finger check to create havoc with the results. The advantage using Indigo is that the activity would be done through the PLM serial interface which is much faster. An entire 8 byte link record is moved across the serial interface where doing it over the powerline through the SHN Utility it is done 1 byte at a time.

Yes, you can delete a link record which flags that specific link record as not active. That link record number can then be reused. For example, if you delete link record 1 and do another Display the first displayed link record number would be 2 as link record 1 is no longer active.

It does appear that link rec 55 is the last active link record. I would display the link database starting at link record 54 to be sure it does end there. Pulling the link database over the powerline requires a significant number of Insteon commands. I have seen powerline problems produce invalid data stopping the display prematurely.

The process would be to delete a link record for a device no longer being used. Then use that same link record number to update the link record with one of the EZX10RF Groups.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lee,

I’m a bit confused. When I access the links with MANAGE DEVICE LINKS I get the following for example;

Link Record 1 - Responder to Device: 7:DO:42: Group 1: Data: 0, 0,FF

I don’t see any MSB tag. Am I looking in the wrong place?

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob

From one of your previous posts….

Device Rec=”?” name=”???????” ID=”08.9B.59″ DevCat=”0x????” Protocol=”2″ MSB=”3F” Status=”0″>

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK I see, the MSB is at the top of the saved xlm file when I select “save display link records list” in the Utility.

I was getting the link records OK now I get a different number every time I try. I have the “device ID” of the 2413U entered, “Links Database Size” set to “medium” and “number of records” set 1 to 100 but I never get the complete list. The PLM is plugged in next to the 2413U.

Any ideas?

thanks,

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob

The normal list of suspects. Computer/UPS power supplies, cell phone chargers, certain flat screen TVs, surge suppression strips. It may be necessary to look at smaller sections at a time. Display 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 or just a single record a few times to be sure the same results are seen each time. When a record is found that contains an address for which there is no device, update that record with one of the EZX10RF groups. When isolating sources of interference a technique that has worked at times is to plug the PLM (in this case both) into a good extension cord and move the PLM plug point away from the computer equipment. When it works reliably at times and not others what appliance is On or not On between the two times. Unfortunately there are no good signal analysis tools for Insteon. I use a Monterey Power Line Analyzer which is an X10 analyzer. It can detect general sources of noise when Insteon traffic is not flowing. The problem is that Insteon traffic looks like invalid X10 segments so it cannot be used effectively while Insteon messages are on the powerline.

Lee

EDIT: it might be helpful to understand that to pull a link database containing 50+ links more than 400 Insteon commands have to work back to back for that display to be successful. That level of sustained command activity will show powerline issues that will never be seen during simple device or scene control.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.