HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve 2.02 FW Upgrade killed my EZServe!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Well, I am done…Followed the instructions, used the discovery tool to upgrade to 2.02 from 1.60 and the ESZerve is officially dead.

The upgrade was “successfull”, waited 45 seconds, tried to discove, nothing, tried to repower on/off, nothing, the unit attempts to reboot repeatedly, the orange led goes on, then goes off, the green led goes on, blinks, the white led on the side blinks 3 times as a normal boot, and then the process begins again. Cannot use the web based interface, cannot see the ip on the discovery tool, a strange IP occationally pops up (169.xxx)

I thought this was an improved/fixed FW…

What now? another TFTP? got my UDI ISY-99i pro on order as a fix.

Good luck to all! It’s been fun…

I have an ezserve for sale if anyone is interested.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you confirm that EZSrve was in DHCP mode and that the RESET from the Server Configuration screen appeared to work before updating with the Java Discovery tool?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a similar problem but if you scroll to the bottom you’ll see that a TFTP to version 1.6, then hard reset, then java discovery to V2.01 solved all my problems which sound identical to yours. I’m now very happy!

Cheers

Peter

http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=663

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was in DHCP…never has a static IP…

Anonymous
    Inactive

everything was working well in 1.60 (configurtion, timers, login, etc.) until upgrade. These issues are worse than 2.01 as with that version, things didn’t work well, but i was able to log in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is something we have not identified about moving from 1.60, either the RESET is not working, something like that. I normally use the HTML screen to upload a new image, even with IE8 (I run in Compatibility View mode). I used the 1.1 Java Discovery tool this time to load 02.02 just to be sure it would, and it worked fine. I was moving from an earlier V2 image so although the Discovery tool worked fine it is not an apples to apples comparison. Moving from 1.60 to any 02.xx requires that V1 xml files be completely erased (reason for RESET/Hard Reset I think) and the DevClusters file has to be uploaded. At 02.00 uploading the DevClusters xml file was a manual process that some were over looking making Device additions incorrect because of the missing DevClusters xml file. Starting with 02.01, the DevClusters xml file is now automatically uploaded from the SHN web site if not found so that manual step has been eliminated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also used the html interface to upgrade in the past, however, the release notes explicitly reccomended the Java Discovery tool to do the upgrade so that is what I used!

Now, that I tried to reload the image using TFTP, the image is not available on-line. Was 2.02 removed? I don’t have 1.60 saved here and can’t find any archive copy (with the Discovery tool you don’t have to download it to your computer to install so I don’t have a copy saved anywhere)

Anonymous
    Inactive

You did right using the Discovery tool. I’m thinking it is file related rather than image related since the Discovery tool worked for me, unless the process to get the image loaded is different when 1.60 is the active image. Even the Discovery tool does not present 02.02 as an option this morning so something has happened since yesterday. Perhaps it was pulled in response to your post. 1.60 image on the way to you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks…I just got the 1.60 that you sent.

Unfortunately, I am at the airport now and wont be able to attempt reload until friday.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I loaded 1.60 on my EZSrve. LIST FILES show the expected 1.60 xml files. Did a RESET on 1.60, after logging back in following reset, used the Server Update HTML screen to load 02.02. I am running IE8 in Compatibility View mode and I always run in DHCP mode. Currently the Discovery tool does not list 02.02 although I did use the 1.1 Discovery tool to load 02.02 yesterday. The 02.02 image loaded successfully from a 1.60 base. I have the expected V2 xml files including DevClusters even though I did not explicitly upload that file. Image 02.02 is running as expected.

This certainly does not mean that the process works on every device but it did work on mine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also tried upgrading from 2.01 to 2.02. I followed all the instructions, DHCP, used Java discovery tool, hard reset and I still have problems. The discovery tool takes a long time to find the unit and when it does, it does not display the firmware version. When I try to connect to it, it does not connect or I get the login, but nothing after that. When I look at the attached devices from my router, the IP address for the EZServe will show up and then a few seconds later it will disappear, only to show up again a few seconds after that.

Looks like I will have to TFTP to 1.60 and try to upgrade from there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just tried one more hard reset before I go the TFTP route, and now the discovery tool does not see the EZServe at all.

I’ve spent alot more time and effort over the last year and three months than I should have had to trying to get this POS working and you guys wonder why I vent about butt-ugly icons? Please, offer me a full refund if I send it back and you’ll never hear from me again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just did a power cycle on my unit, and now it seems to be working on 2.02. Didn’t have to do the TFTP to 1.60. I feel better now, end of rant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe B wrote:

I also tried upgrading from 2.01 to 2.02. I followed all the instructions, DHCP, used Java discovery tool, hard reset and I still have problems. The discovery tool takes a long time to find the unit and when it does, it does not display the firmware version. When I try to connect to it, it does not connect or I get the login, but nothing after that. When I look at the attached devices from my router, the IP address for the EZServe will show up and then a few seconds later it will disappear, only to show up again a few seconds after that.

Looks like I will have to TFTP to 1.60 and try to upgrade from there.

I wonder whether your device got into a reboot loop. I’ve seen similar symptoms with 2.02 (i.e. device becomes unresponsive, both amber and green lights are on, then amber light goes off, then comes back on, then green light flickers with network traffic – cycle repeats every 20-30 seconds). In my case only restoring firmware (TFTP to 1.60) and restoring the flash to factory defaults (hard reset) solved the problem. I found that in this setting the factory reset options on the Discovery tool and the HTML interface don’t seem to work.

Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

SCSweet – Thats sound like what was happening with my unit. For some reason doing the power cycle (unplug, wait a few seconds, plug back in) fixed it. Maybe I just got lucky and stopped the loop at the right spot in the cycle, who knows?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.