X10 Problem with Macros 2008-07-11T21:52:45+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve X10 Problem with Macros

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    #40003 |

I have setup all of my existing X10 devices in EZSrve and they all turn on/off/dim using the EZServ Web Interface without a hitch.

I have a X10 RR501 RF Transceiver and a X10 KC674 key FOB. They have been setup to receive each other’s signals and they have been tested to work. For example, pressing the ON on the key FOB causes the light on the RR501 to turn on, OFF, etc…

Now, I would like to have a macro setup that when the key FOB button is pressed (assigned to M01) that another X10 item (say A01) is turned ON/OFF/DIM accordingly.

I have created a Macro, that is states that if M01 is turned ON (at any time or day) then turn A01 ON after no delay.

Unfortunately nothing is working. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any way to determine if the EZServ is even getting the M01 ON command?

Thanks,
    Steve

Anonymous

I have defined a Macro that uses F03 in the IF ON and F04 in the Then ON. The EZSrve does not issue the full F04 ON sequence. In both the Houselinc trace and a hardware X10 Signal Analyzer, this is what I see ….

F03
    F ON
    F04

The second part of the F04 ON sequence is not issued, or at least not traced by two independent entities. I could see that Houselinc might miss something but I dug out my Power Line Signal Analyzer and it does not show the second part of the X10 F04 ON message. Voltage level of the 3 traced X10 messages is fine (not marginal).

I changed the Then clause to an Insteon ICON switch ON and the X10 F03 ON signal does cause the ICON switch to turn on. I’m running 1.52 image.

I have repeated the If F03 ON, Then F04 ON several times and the result is always the same. The second part of the F04 ON message is not issued.

EDIT:
    I added a second Macro which turns on a LampLinc when the F03 ON X10 signal is generated. This Macro works as long as the If F03 ON Then F04 ON macro is disabled by unchecking the current day of the week. When I make the If F03 ON Then F04 ON macro active, where the second F04 ON message segment is not sent, the If F03 ON Then LampLinc ON Macro is not triggered. As though the If F03 ON Then F04 ON sequence traps/abends preventing the second F04 ON segment from being sent and preventing the If F03 ON Then LampLinc ON Macro from being triggered.

Anonymous

Based on the above post, it appears that X10 signals are not being sent correctly from EZSrve Macros (using 1.52 Firmware).

I don’t have any Insteon devices (except the EZSrve) so I can not complete all of these tests.

This is a CRITICAL situation for me and if I can not get macros to detect a X10 trigger (in this case M01) and then respond with another X10 event (A01) then the EZSrve is going back.

As another update, I have set a number of X10 devices to M01 house code and found that the signal is broadcast to all locations of the house so I am certain that the M01 ON signal is getting to the EZServ outlet. Now, if I could only determine what the EZServ is receiving and what it is trying to send. Any ideas????

Thanks,
    Steve

Anonymous

I would call the SimpleHomeNet support number. They are very responsive. The forum is in place for the user community to exchange experiences and ideas as well as communicating with SHN but turn around for forum activity does not have the priority a phone call will have. Someone from SHN will comment on this thread but a phone call to support will yield faster response. There is also an email address posted for support if you prefer.

Anonymous

You can bring up the Simplehomenet Utility Suite (free download), connect to EZSrve, select the EZSrve/EZBridge tab, and select the Control tab, which displays a Data Received window. The received two part X10 message will appear here as well as the single SndX10 message. At least that is what I am seeing on my system.

EDIT:
    You will be looking at raw X10 data. The EZBridge/EZSrve Reference Manual (from download list) page 21 has an X10 Translation Table that will allow you to translate the raw data into meaningful X10 data.

Anonymous

This is from my test example of If F03 ON Then F04 ON. The F3, F ON, F4 are my annotations…..

:
    :
    X10Msg
    0X2
    0X52
    0X92 F3
    0X00

:
    :
    X10Msg
    0X2
    0X52
    0X92 F ON
    0X80

:
    :
    SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X9A F4
    0X00
    0X6

If the SHN logging function has been enabled (under the Control tab), you will find a log.txt file in the SHN Utility Suite install directory. That is where the above came from. Could not copy the Data Received window data to the clip board.

Anonymous

I created and ran a Timer that turns F4 ON. The following two X10 message segments are from that Timer ….

:
    :
    SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X9A F4
    0X00
    0X6

:
    :
    SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X92 F ON
    0X80
    0X6

As with the previous post, the F4 and F ON are my annotations.

Anonymous

First, Thank you for this response and I will call support on Monday if this doesn’t clear it up. I did as you recommended and received this:

SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X66
    0X00
    0X6

X10Msg
    0X2
    0X52
    0X2
    0X80

X10Msg
    0X2
    0X52
    0X6
    0X00

Reading from the bottom up, I believe that this is saying:

Received:
    M1
    M ON

Sent:
    A1 ON

Did I interpret this correctly? If so, then this is indeed good news as the software appears to be working. The problem then becomes why isn’t it getting sent across the wires.

Thanks,
    Steve

Anonymous

Unless you missed posting the second of the A01 ON X10 message segments, the only thing in your post is the first A1 (house/unit) message segment in the one SndX10 command. There should be two SndX10 commands. The first (in time) being the house/unit code (A1) and the second (in time) being the house/command code (A ON). You do show both X10 messages being received for the M01 ON. The first (bottom up) being the M1 and the second (bottom up) being the M ON.

The following are the two SndX10 messages generated by a Timer turning A01 ON. These are from my log.txt file so the top one is the first in time being the 0x66 A1 (house/unit), the second is the 0x62 A ON (house/command), which is missing in your post. Unless you saw that second SndX10 message on your system and it got lost in the posting process, you are also missing the second part of the A01 ON X10 message sequence when issued by a Macro.

Set up a Timer to do an A01 ON while the SHN Utility is running. You should see two SndX10 messages when A01 ON is issued by a Timer (as below). Compared to a Macro doing an A01 ON where only the first of the two required SndX10 messages is generated.

Log file entries from a Timer A01 ON

:
    :
    SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X66 A1
    0X00
    0X6

:
    :
    SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X62 A ON
    0X80
    0X6

Anonymous

Well it looks like we are making progress. If I use a timer I get:

SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X62
    0X80
    0X6

SndX10
    0X2
    0X63
    0X66
    0X00
    0X6

Which is correct, however when I use a macro I get just the three ‘s. 2 Receives and 1 Send. Clearly that is the problem. Any idea on why the EZSrve wouldn’t send the ON statement? In the “then” clause I select the item name (assigned to A01) and select ON for the “does”.

I assume that is correct, anything that I might be doing wrong? Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks,
    Steve

Anonymous

I think you uncovered a defect in the Macro processing that I was able to recreate. It is legal for the same event to trigger multiple macros. I added a second macro that trips when my F03 ON (your M01 ON equivalent) X10 signal is sent. This macro turns on an Insteon device and works fine when run alone. When I activate the If F03 ON Then F04 ON macro, not only does the second part of the F04 ON (your A01 ON equivalent) not get sent, my second macro that turns on an Insteon device does not run. Putting the two symptoms together, I’m guessing that the macro processing handling the Then X10 ON runs into a problem and traps/abends between the sending of the A1 message and the A ON message, ending the processing associated with the original trigger condition, M01 ON in your case. That is only a guess as to what is happening but there is a problem of some kind for sure. Lots of variables that might affect an Insteon action (ie my mistakes) but specifying an X10 action is about as simple as they come. Particularly when a Timer X10 action works and the same Macro X10 action does not.

SHN will review the forum posts that came in over the weekend. Probably even post some conclusions about what we have encountered but that could take a few days. If it really is critical I would call the support number Monday. They are really interested in resolving any problems found in EZSrve. I found a Macro display problem a few weeks ago which they diagnosed and corrected in very short order. SHN is working on the next image and may be able to incorporate a fix for this problem in that image.

Thanks for all the testing you have done. I feel better about a conclusion when more than one person is seeing the same thing.

Anonymous

Thanks for your help.

Since this is the most important part of my replacement of Mr. House for home automation (at least from my spouses point of view 😉 ) I will call today.

I too am very glad that this was reproducible since it will help the engineers determine the root cause and hopefully fix this soon.

Thanks for your help.
    Steve

Anonymous

We are on it – we duplicated the bug, and are looking for a fix ASAP!

Anonymous

Thanks everyone, the 1.53 update indeed worked. Thanks grif091 for helping me understand how to test my environment and understand what was happening and thanks to the SimpleHome support/development team for getting this fix out there.

I now have a bunch of testing to do, but the current problem is resolved.

THANKS!!!!!

Steve

Anonymous

Ditto on test results at 1.53 and thanks to the SHN team. My X10 tests are correct and both Macros run from the same trigger condition. Nice job guys (and girls).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.