HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Using EZIO8T for 1Wire + Open/Close Sensor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I’m planning on getting a single EZIO8T to do the following:
    – 1Wire monitoring (ie: temperature, humidity, barometric pressure)
    – Open/Close Sensor (ie: garage sensor)
    – Control the garage door opener

Is this possible with a single EZIO8T or should I go with EZIO8SA instead? If I can do this with an EZIO8T, what’s the process to get this setup to work?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 1-Wire is setup already for temperature monitoring. You can use a DS18B20 hooked up according to the diagram in the quick-guide. We don’t currently supply the sensor. Either EZIO model can be used for the 1-Wire temperature monitoring and they work the same way.
    Either model can be used to monitor contact closures.
    To control switches such as a garage door closing momentary switch, the EZIO8T would require an external AC coil mechanical relay. The EZIO8T has 8 relays built-in and would not need any additional hardware for your application.
    We are working to provide diagrams for such hook-ups but they won’t be available until late next week.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My DS18B20 should be at my door on Monday. So next week I start more playing. The EZIO8SA I ordered arrived yesterday.

Since the connection diagram shows +5; Signal and Ground.
    You are not using the pasasite method of powering the DS18B20. Correct?

So those that maybe reading this. The DS18B20 can do both direct and parasite power. The DS18B20P only does parasite power and is what I have seen on a few web sites for sale.
    Parasite Power is where the DS18B20 steals power from the signal buss and most times the interface has been designed to do that type of drive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@simplehome wrote:

To control switches such as a garage door closing momentary switch, the EZIO8T would require an external AC coil mechanical relay. The EZIO8T has 8 relays built-in and would not need any additional hardware for your application.

Can you clarify this? Do you mean the EZIO8T needs an external AC coil relay but the EZIOSA doesn’t? Can you recommend an external AC coil relay?

@simplehome wrote:

We are working to provide diagrams for such hook-ups but they won’t be available until late next week.

Wonderful. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Where will they be posted?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The EZIO8T has triac outputs that turn on an AC load.
    So an AC relay would have to be activated and its contacts would trigger your event. The coil voltage would have to match the external low voltage transformer you used.

The EZIO8SA has 8 dry contacts [Normally Closed and Normally Open; with a Common] that can be used to trigger your event directly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please bear with me, I’m a newbie to all of these electronics wiring things. 🙂 (when I took senior level electronics lab in physics, I did well, but then I loved pushing the circuits overboard and making capacitors explode. clearly, I don’t want anything exploding now… :))

Wiring diagrams would be helpful, as well as a bill of materials…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please bear with us. Additional, simplified, and solutions-targeted documetation is along the way…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@simplehome wrote:

Please bear with us. Additional, simplified, and solutions-targeted documetation is along the way…

Thanks guys! I greatly appreciate it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wondering how these examples were coming along… any progress?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry we haven’t provided examples yet – hopefully you noticed we have been busy expanding our product line.

We recognize that without some examples, these can be difficult to use. I would ask the community – as we start to work on these examples, we will have limited bandwidth, so what are some of the first examples you would like to see? What would be most helpful?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, for one I’d like to see the scenario here fully documented with a list of other items I’d need and a wiring diagram.

1-Wire examples would be great too.

The other thing I’m interested is using a single EZIOxx to do door contacts, and 1-wire applications. So having a doc cover the these mixed mode scenarios would be nice too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am wondering if it is possible to set up a network of 1-wire sensors using the EZIO8SA? I have a single DS18B20 connected, but in the grand scheme of things, a single temp sensor isn’t all that useful for controlling a greenhouse or HVAC system. Hobby Boards has some great sensor combos (Humidity, Temp, Solar Radiation) that I would love to use to set up control logic for an HA system. Any ideas for setting this up?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

For now the 1-Wire bus supports only one device. We will revise this in the future (August/September timeframe to support multiple units on the bus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will the Aug/Sep Firmware also support 1-wire sensors other than temperature?

Anonymous
    Inactive

No firm plans yet. We are looking at a generalized driver but as you can imagine, this will just push release dates further out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.