Using EZIO2X4 for Insteon Occupancy Sensor 2007-02-27T01:18:30+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Using EZIO2X4 for Insteon Occupancy Sensor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    #39702 |

I am thinking of using a Simplehomenet EZIO2X4 to make an Insteon occupancy sensor but after reading the quick start guide I am confused about a couple of things.

What I want to do is to use the contacts from a security PIR to trigger an input on the EZIO2X4 which would then transmit an ON to the light. I also want to link a relay on the EZIO2X4 to the Insteon switch that controls the light. The relay contacts would be wired as a shunt across the motion detector contacts so that when the light is turned on manually it overides the motion function.

My questions are:

1- Is the logic on the EZIO2X4 correct to do this? There is an example with a magnetic contact that suggests it is but the description of the inputs seems to contradict that and suggest that the light will go off when the detector alarms and on when it clears. Can someone tell me for sure which way the inputs work?

2- The EZIO2X4 has a programmable OFF delay which is nice but it is not clear if it resets if the input goes back to ON before it times out. I assume if the motion trigger was activitated again before the timeout that the light would just stay on but was wondering if anybody can confirm that?

Anonymous

The opto isolated inputs seem to be like the ones in the EZIO8SA. If I read the Quick Users Guide correctly.

In my tests; of a EZIO8SA; no current through the input is called an ON; or so the EZIOxx Utility and my EZIO8SA Inputs are reported. No current in Inputs 1-4 and they are ON; jump the input pins to +12 Volts and Common and that input is then reprted as OFF.

Anonymous

This sounds like a good idea. We would love to share this in more detail with the other users as an example with the EZIO2X4 if you would be willing to share how it worked when you are done. Let us know how things work for you.

1. Is the logic on the EZIO2X4 correct to do this? There is an example with a magnetic contact that suggests it is but the description of the inputs seems to contradict that and suggest that the light will go off when the detector alarms and on when it clears. Can someone tell me for sure which way the inputs work?

The logic on the EZIO2X4 will work. The way it works is a logic low will set the input status to ON, a logic high the input status is OFF. You can then use our utility to map an Insteon command (say to turn on a light) to an input state. So, you can map Input State of OFF to an Insteon command of Cmd1 11 Cmd2 FF, turning on a light.

2. The EZIO2X4 has a programmable OFF delay which is nice but it is not clear if it resets if the input goes back to ON before it times out. I assume if the motion trigger was activitated again before the timeout that the light would just stay on but was wondering if anybody can confirm that?

Each time the input is set, the timer is reset on each transition. If it was activated again during the delay period, the delay period will reset.

Anonymous

Ok so the logic is good but it looks like the shunt won’t work right. If I turn a light on manually the relay will close and shunt the detector contacts but if the PIR is in alarm at the time this will be seen as a transition to high which will start the timer and the light will time out and shut off.

What I need to do is have the relay interrupt the contact line feeding the optical input instead of shunting it. This will ensure the input stays low and the light stays on.

Can the EZIO2X4 relays be programmed to turn OFF when they get an Insteon ON command? Or do I need to use an EZIO8SA so that I have relays with NC contacts to do this?

I would prefer to use the EZIO2X4 because it has an onboard 5VDC source to use with the analog inputs.

Anonymous

The simple answer is that the relays can not be programmed to be open instead of closed when the output receives the ON command. I have been considering some ideas that may help you out though.

There is still a way to use the 2X4 with an external FET and relay, but that may be more than you want to tackle.

Another option is to leverage the EZBridge macro capability. You can have it set the relay to whatever state you want when the switch is turned on (i.e. disable the motion input), and enable the motion input when the light is turned off.
    This will work with a manual activation of the light and when the motion sensor turns the light on. In both cases it is disabled from the 2X4. After the light turns off, it is enabled to the 2X4. May sound like a sales pitch, but you can do some very complex behaviors with the EZBridge. What you would loose with this solution is the reset of the timer if motion is detected during an on period (may be an issue?).

Anonymous

I don’t think there would be much advantage to going with the FET and Relay solution when I am pretty sure I can do what I want by using an EZIO8SA and taking advantage of the form C relays. (Have you considered changing the relays in the 2X4 to form C ?)

I am looking at the EZBridge option also but I’m not sure that it would work better for me than the EZIO8SA. The scheduling option is tempting but if the clock is going to reset whenever the power flickers it may not be a good fit for my environment.

I was also wondering about the Insteon PLM… Is there any way to share that with more than one device? Can I use 1 PLM with 2 EZIO8SA units or 1 EZIO8SA and 1 EZBridge? Or do I just stack individual PLMs using the feed through outlets if I have several devices?

Anonymous

The EZIO8SA will definitely work for you.

In regards to the bridge, the clock will reset when the power flickers, but if it has access to the internet, it will update automatically using the internet to the correct the clock on startup. Also, the functionality I would look at using would not be the timers for this, but the macros (check the new manual online for the latest firmware release).

For the PLMs, each product needs it’s own. Think of it as a serial modem, if it got send / receives from multiple sources, things would start to become very unreliable very quickly. It is possible to stack the PLMs or using something like a SQUID to put them on the same outlet.

Also, got your input on using form C relays on the 2X4. Not many other people have been asking, but it may be worth looking into.

Anonymous

@pauln wrote:

The EZIO8SA will definitely work for you.

Also, got your input on using form C relays on the 2X4. Not many other people have been asking, but it may be worth looking into.

Or how about another version of the EZIO8SA with 8 opto inputs, 8 form C relays, and 12 Volts (for using dry contacts with the opto inputs)? I don’t see myself ever needing analog inputs of 1-wire stuff and would rather see that real estate used for more opto inputs.

Anonymous

Both are good ideas. In response to this and some other posts on the forums, we created a new category for posting new ideas. Feel free to add any other ideas you have, and put your support in for ones that sound good. As we have said before, the customer defines what we develop. Keep the input coming – thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.