Using a Rainbird Wireless Rain Sensor with EZFlora 2012-05-14T23:31:49+00:00

HOME Forums Irrigation EZFlora Using a Rainbird Wireless Rain Sensor with EZFlora

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • geogecko
    #40336 |

I’m waiting for my EZFlora to arrive, along with the breakout board for the accessory connector, and started trying to figure out how to hook everything up.

After looking at the manuals for everything it occurred to me, that the Rainbird Wireless rain sensor actually runs off of the 24VAC from the transformer, not 5V, like the EZFlora puts out on the accessory connector. I was a little bummed at first, and then thought, well, one of the wires coming off the wireless receiver has “normally open” on it. This is typical relay terminal terms, which leads me to believe that the output wires on the wireless receiver are just that, relay contacts. I looked at the instructions for wiring up the wireless receiver, and one configuration shows wiring the two wires from the wireless receiver (a sense and a normally closed wire) in series with the common connection on the valves, which means, it is interrupting the current to the valves (which can be around 400mA).

So, after reading though all this, I think I can hook up the rain sensor by still tying it’s power wires to the 24VAC transformer, and then tying the sense and normally closed wires to pins 6/7 on the accessory breakout board, pulling pin 6 high with a 4.7k ohm resistor, and it should work, correct? I eventually will be checking those sense and normally closed wires to see if there is any voltage on them, and if not, then check continuity, but just thought I’d get a head start on my rational. I haven’t seen any threads talking about this, so thought this would be a good place to share.

Just as a reference, this is the sensor I’m talking about. The WRS series sensor, at the bottom of this page: It is all I’ve been able to find anymore, as it appears to be discontinued by Rainbird, so I guess I’m glad I downloaded the manual. Also attached the manual.

I looked at the manual you linked.
    It does look like the Rain Sensor output is a dry contact relay. With both a NC and NO connection. So it may work as you thought it would.

Double checking the rain sensors outputs with a meter sounds like the prudent thing to do.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.