HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx trying to get EZIO2X4 to Control Somfy Drapery controller

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Before going the ISY route. Check their web forums. Some of the Simplehome devices are not supported. Basically because there is more than one memory map for the PLM and Smartlabs seems to not like to share what version is shipping to vendors. Making problems for both UDI and Simplehomenet. ūüė•

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve put off buying any device frm SHN until this gets sorted out. It is important to me that these devices work with the ISY.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would be getting the ISY to handle other things and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on it.

I don’t have problems with my insteon lightswitches and remote communicating with each other, so I tend toblame the simplehomenet products or the utility suite instead of my powerline environment…

Anonymous
    Inactive

When Smartlabs introduced the larger links database feature in the PLM, the database address had to change. Using the i2 protocol for linking there is no problem, as the application does not need to know where this location is. However, applications that assume a fixed location (0x0ff8 if you need to know) will not handle the larger database correctly (since it starts at 0x3ff8). Smartlabs assumption is that the application will determine where the device’s memory starts by querying it (with a series of peeks and pokes), or that the i2 protocol would be used.
    Please call our support line should you desire to update one of your devices for full i2 compliance, or if there are any questions regarding this post.
    Please also note that there is no direct way to interrogate a device, or indicating label relative to its links database size. The application software (such as the ISY or EZSrve) must determine this size by “peek” and “poke” of locations in the device. As the larger database is here to stay for future products based on the PLM, exisitng application software will need to change to conform.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really don’t get what you are saying. I’m not a techno-genius like most of the people are at this forum.

Will the ISY-99 read the ezio2x4 or not? It sounds like you are saying that it can, but it will take a techno-genius to figure it out, so I’d guess that the answer is “no” for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry about some of the confusion. The earlier posts regarding different size memory PLMs and whether ISY can handle the different size memory PLMs do not apply to your situation. Your EZIO2X4 is of the vintage where no one was concerned about the size of the memory because they were all the same size for this discussion.

As to whether ISY can “read” the EZIO2X4, that is really two questions. If you are asking does the ISY have detail knowledge of the features of an EZIO2X4 such that it can Read/Write Timers, set the Configuration Register, etc. I don’t know the answer to that. That is a question about the functional capability of the ISY and the answer to that should come from the manufacturer of the ISY.

The second part of the question as to whether the ISY can “read” the EZIO2X4 is much more complex and gets back to the question of how well the powerline communication is functioning. When Insteon devices like SwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, ICON switches, EZIO2X4 Inputs and Outputs, etc are linked together and control each others On and Off state, an Insteon Group command protocol is used. Group sequences have redundant command sequences and command retry built into the protocol. That is one of the reasons Insteon is so much more reliable then X10 for example. There are other reasons as well, like each Insteon device is a repeater. The powerline can be pretty noisy, devices like TVs, PCs, some types of battery chargers, create noise on the powerline. Some devices have power supplies that attenuate the powerline signals. Smarthome makes devices called FilterLincs to deal with both of these situations. However, if things are not too bad, the redundancy and retry built into the Group protocol and the hardware will mask many of the problems.

The difficulty here is that Group command sequences are not used to configure most Insteon devices, including the EZIO2X4. The Insteon Direct command protocol is used for this purpose and it does not have the redundancy and retry associated with Group sequences. Direct commands are generally used less frequently (some HA enthusiasts will disagree with that statement) and do not require the reliability associated with Group communication. Usually does not matter because the Insteon poweline communication is reliable overall. If a Direct command fails once in awhile you just repeat it. For a configuration activity, you tend to do it a few times until you get the configuration the way you want it and then leave it alone. The problem comes when powerline communication is not reliable. Group sequences tend to mask that, Direct sequences do not. In your case the powerline communication is so suspect that a simple, 12 Direct command sequence to set Timer values cannot be completed. One would expect to do this operation error free most of the time. These errors will be there whether the SHN Utility is issuing the Direct commands or whether the ISY is issuing the Direct commands. The ISY may well have better error handling and retry built into the device compared to the SHN Utility. One is purchased, one is free.

Hope this explanation helps to some degree. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can.

Anonymous
    Inactive

wow, nice explanation. do you think I could have better luck if I just plugged the ezio into the PLC?

Anonymous
    Inactive

First I have to say that what I wrote above is somewhat misleading as there is retry associated with a Direct message. That is what happens when you write something half asleep. There is no command redundancy as with a Group sequence. When you press a paddle or keypad button to turn on other devices, A Group Broadcast message is sent with the expectation that all devices in the Group will execute the command in the message. Following that a Group Cleanup Direct message is sent to each individual device in the Group with the same command. If each individual device already saw the Group Broadcast and executed the associated command, the command in the Group Cleanup Direct is ignored (command is not executed twice). If the Group Broadcast did not get to the device, the Group Cleanup Direct message command will be executed. This message sequence gives each device two opportunities to get a command and react to it. It also allows generally simultaneous reaction by all devices in a Group when the Group Broadcast message is reliable on the powerline network. When using a Direct message alone, there is only one message.

I’m not much of an advocate for piggy backing a device on the PLC directly. I have seen forum posts about using a BoosterLinc link that way to improve X10 signals. Moving a device closer to the PLC for testing purposes can help where powerline signals are being attenuated or are noisy. The problem sometimes is the PLC is powered from the same circuit supplying the PC. The PC itself can be a source of signal attenuation or noise. I used a good three wire extension cord to plug the PLC into a circuit away from the PC. It was this action that convinced me I needed a FilterLinc for the PC to plug into. Don‚Äôt know if it was signal attenuation or noise being generated by the PC but the FilterLinc made a nice improvement. I have seen forum posts where a configuration has been working for months and then something happens. What was a reliable installation suddenly becomes unreliable. When tracked down by unplugging different devices (just turning a device off does not always remove the problem) it is a device that has been fine suddenly becomes a noise maker. There was a case just a few weeks ago where reliability dropped when a new cell phone battery charger was plugged in a room or two away.

Moving the EZXIO2X4 closer or using an extension cord to move the PLC closer are both good diagnostic approaches.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah…and don’t set your EZIO Output Timer to 5 seconds or more; as, this will equal the “configure” time length of the Somfy Controller.

5 or more seconds will set a new up/down/or “MY” position. You don’t want that.

Somfy directly told me to keep it at 2 seconds. They said 1 second may not be enough for the controller to catch the relay closure, and not so long as to go into programming mode!

Enjoy,
    – Rob

PS: Are you using the 1 Channel Wireless Controller, or the multi (4 I think) channel Controller?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.