Timers 2008-11-24T22:59:19+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Timers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    #40108 |

Is there a way to establish a elapsed time timer; ie. It stays on for 1 minute or other specified time after being turned on?

Lee

Anonymous

A Timer does not have that capability but when used with a Macro you get the desired result. A Timer sends an ON to whatever device you want turned on. A Macro is defined that is triggered from the same ON condition. The Macro has an “After Delaying” option which permits turning the device OFF Hours,Minutes,Seconds after the Macro is initially triggered.

Anonymous

That makes perfect sense. Works too as I just tried this. However, seems to generate a couple of other questions.

I defined a macro that turns off a light with a 15 second delay after it was turned on. To test this, I turned the light on from the EZServe device control page and then after 15 seconds, the light dutifully went off. All good. But on the screen, the light still shows as ON??? This is a bug as far as I’m concerned since EZServe is turning the light off, it should change the status of the light on the device control page.

I went over to a keypad and turned the light on from the keypad. The light never went off. I was hoping that EZServe would see that the device had been turned on and would have executed the macro. It did not.

Thus, I assume that a Macro can only be triggered by an action taken by either a TIMER event or the device control page of EZServe. Even something like a motion sensor would not properly trigger a macro execution. Makes it pretty limited frankly.

One of the disappointments with this product is that it does not see keypad initiated control traffic and does not properly monitor device status. From other discussions, I get the picture that Insteon does not support this sort of capability. Seems strange to me tho.

Anonymous

Since you did not mention it in your post I assume you are turning on the device with a DIRECT command from EZSrve. The ACK message that comes back from the device to EZSrve causes the Macro to trigger. When you press a KPL button, the KPL sends a GROUP command message to the device telling it to turn on. The device sends the ACK message back to the KPL as it is the device that sent the original GROUP command. You can define a Macro that triggers from the KPL button press if you want that action noted and acted upon by EZSrve.

EDIT: for EZSrve to receive a message from the KeypadLinc button EZSrve needs to be linked as a responder to the KPL button. If a KPL button is not linked to anything, no messages are generated at all by a button press.

Anonymous

OK… If I’m understanding this correctly, I need to add a Controller Link to the Keypad with a group number corresponding to the keypad number. Also, this link has to point to the EZServe Insteon address.

Don’t I need a Link also stored into the EZServe device as a Responder with the same link number as the keypad key but with an Insteon address of the Keypad device?

i.e. I need to add 2 links, one for each device. Hmmm… not sure this is easily done tho.

There is not simple Add Link to device from within the EZServe Web Control pages. The SimpleHomeUtility does have an Add link capability but you cannot even look at the links stored in the EZServe itself. I tried to list links for the EZServe device and it did not work using the Utility. I COULD look at the links using the EZServe Web Pages but cannot Add one.

When I tried to add the macro, it really does not indicate how you might specify the group number which would match with the keypad number. Thus, adding a macro linked to the keypad does not seem possible. Suggestion???

Also tried… Added OFF KPL KEY 1 by “adding device” and then pressing and holding KEY 1 until it blinked. I assume that this creates a link within EZServe pointing to the keypad device key number 1. I then tried to ADD macro for this OFF KPL KEY 1 but don’t know if the command is ON, OFF, or whatever??? In any case, after adding the macro, it did not work.

Lee

Lee

Anonymous

One bit of other information…. I just used the EZServe Web Admin tool to checkout the link created for the OFF KPL KEY 1 device. It shows the following.

Controller of OFF KPL on Unit 01 Data 01-09-2C

Unit number and group number being the same as I understand it.

Wouldn’t this entry need to be a RESPONDER for the macro to work? How does one even create the proper entry in the EZServe device. SHU will not work.

Anonymous

Use EZSrve Scenes Management to create a Scene (link) between the KeypadLinc as the Controller and EZSrve as the Responder. The Unit number specified when the KPL is added as the Controller of the Scene is the button number (1-8) assuming you are using the KPL in 8 button mode. Creating this Scene will write a “Controller of” link record in the KPL and a “Responder to” link record in EZSrve. To write the “Responder to” link record in EZSrve using the SHN Utility requires the Utility be connected to the powerline with a PLC.

The Macro If Device: Does: field is set to 11xx where xx is the button number of the KPL to trigger for an ON command (1104 for button 4 ON trigger). A value of 13xx where xx is the button number of the KPL to trigger for an OFF command (1302 for button 2 OFF trigger). The process of entering the 4 Hex digits in the Does: field was added in 1.57 and is written up in the EZSrve Operating Guide posted on the Downloads section of the SHN web site.

Anonymous

Hmmm, would be a little more useful if you would tell us the precise page number within the documentation for things like this…….. I did find it starting on page 9 and running into page 10. Its not quite in your face clear how to enter in the 4 digit hex command sequence……. From the manual; “To
    enter a custom command, first select the first entry in the menu (“Enter Command”), then press the delete key in your keyboard. At this point, the four digits can be entered.” This does work.

I’m expecting some filter lincs tomorrow. Hopefully, that will clean up my network enough to safely add macros and scenes without the craziness that I’ve been seeing. My MacPro which is plugged into an APC SmartUPS seems to be one of the problems. When I unplug the cord to the UPS, things do seem to work better. In another room, I have a nest of laptops that I’ll also isolate.

Thanks for the help. You’ve been quick in responding to my questions and I appreciate it.

Lee

Anonymous

We’re getting closer, but still did not work. Here is what I tried…

I have a ICON 6 button Wall mounted Keypad linc. The load control ON button is one big button at the top and I’m assuming that it is button #01 in the scheme of things. With experimentation, the first smaller button is #03.

I’ve installed Filters between ALL of my computer gear and power from the wall. Things do appear to be working much better now and I’m not getting any failures.

I created a SCENE called OFF KPL 1, The controller is OFF KPL with a unit number of 01. The Responder is EZServe. It would not add until I specified LD1 and LD2 values which I set at 100% and .1 second. The SCENE now shows up properly under the scene management page.

I then created a Macro specifying OFF KPL as the device and 1101 as the Upon value. It is controls the same load as is controlled by Button 01 which is some spotlights above my fireplace. When I press the ON button on the keypad, the light comes on at about 50% intensity (I see this using the manual procedure for setting the default ON light level. The macro never does trigger and I never see any event logging when using the SHU program.

So… we are not there yet.

Another suggestion???

Thanks

Anonymous

Just tried another experiment…. My macro that turns off the spotlights works just fine if I turn them one from the web control page for the EZServe device. I was curious and so also had the SHU running and after letting the sequence of ON, 15 second delay, OFF complete, I looked at the traffic log using SHU.

from ID:05.16.88 flags:27 cmd1:11 cmd2:FF
    from ID:05.16.88 flags:27 cmd1:13 cmd2:0

is what I saw. CMD1 of 11 is indeed ON and I assume that CMD2 of FF is 100% on. Flag of 27??? don’t know
    The OFF is the CMD1 of 13.

Are these commands coming from the OFF KPL device? Or, are they coming from the EZServe device which acts like it is OFF KPL???

Trying to understand this.

Lee

Anonymous

What values are in the following Macro fields…
    If Device:
    Does:
    When:
    Days:
    Then Device:
    Does:

What part of SHN Utility are you referring to when not seeing any Insteon activity?

Anonymous

Regarding your “another experiment” post, the Insteon Traffic tab of the SHN Utility is not a generalized Insteon traffic trace. That facility is there only to show the specific Insteon messages the Utility is issuing to perform a task by the Utility and the responses to those messages. The is showing this message was not the response to something the Utility initiated. Select the EZsrve/EZBrdge / Control tabs and view the Data Received window for a better look at Insteon traffic.

EDIT: the from ID: Insteon address tells you who the messages came from. Is that the address of the KPL or EZSrve?

EDIT2: the flag field (27) indicates an ACK from a DIRECT command. A KPL does not issue DIRECT commands in response to a button press. If the Macro is being triggered from a DIRECT command the If Device: Does: field content is in question.

EDIT3: I posted a document on the Wiki under EZSrve which has screen captures and XML trace samples. It uses an ICON switch as the Macro IF device but since you are using button 1 on the KPL the numbers should be the same.

Anonymous

Finally got it to work… It was a user-interface problem with adding a SCENE. I ADDED the controller and then ADDED the responder but did not SAVE the whole SCENE. After saving the whole SCENE, the macro now sees the button press and 15 seconds later, the light goes off properly.

I was in the middle of trying another button on the KPL when I noticed that the SCENE I had just added was not showing up in the pull down list of SCENES. I then realized I had not SAVED the SCENE…. duhhhhh….

The prompts another question tho. What/Why the “Default-01” scene? It seems to be required for the functionality of the EZServe unit, but I’ve no clue as to why.

Thanks again for the explanations and help.

Anonymous

When a device is added to EZSrve, a link between the device and EZSrve is created. Not all devices support this link and there is an initial question when the device is being added that can override the attempt to create the link. EZSrve keeps track of those initial links in the Default_01 scene.

Anonymous

Hopefully, this is educating all of us…. I went to the EZServe/EZBridge tab and the Control subtab of the SHU. I had defined 2 macros associated with the ICON KPL Linc. Both are to implement a delay of 15 seconds and then send an OFF command to the device (OFF KPL).

The first macro, which I just deleted, look for “Upon ON” of the OFF KPL, delay 15 seconds and then turn OFF KPL OFF. It worked fine whenever I turned ON this device from the Simple Home web control page. I deleted this macro and confirmed that this no longer worked which was as expected.

I just now used the SH Web Page to turn on the device. The following traffic then showed up in the EZServe/EZBridge Control window:

InsStdMsg
    0X2
    0X50
    0X5
    0X16
    0X88
    0X6
    0X4C
    0X94
    0X2B
    0X7F
    0XFF

SndIns
    0X2
    0X62
    0X5
    0X16
    0X88
    0XF
    0X19
    0X00
    0X6

InsStdMsg
    0X2
    0X50
    0X5
    0X16
    0X88
    0X6
    0X4C
    0X94
    0X23
    0X11
    0XFF

SndIns
    0X2
    0X62
    0X5
    0X16
    0X88
    0XF
    0X11
    0XFF
    0X6

============================================================

It would be helpful to understand what is going on here and also where to find documentation of this at this level of detail.

I’ll make another posting for my next test…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.