Support for Motion Sensors in 2.0? 2009-06-01T11:53:52+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Support for Motion Sensors in 2.0?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    #40165 |

Are motion sensors going to be included in 2.0 firmware? They are critical for my applications and if they are not supported relatively soon, I will be left with no choice but switching to ISY… I tried faking them as OTHER or RemoteLincs, manually button-linking them to EZServe (as a responder) but they cannot be used in action conditions and traffic from them is not seen in the TCP interface so there is no way to use them either directly in EZServe or in the software.

Anonymous

I don’t know about the Motion Sensor support as that requires using the I2 commands for linking as the Motion Sensor does not support Peek/Poke. However, defining it as a RemoteLinc should have allowed the device to be used in Actions as it is in the device list. I think the problem with RemoteLinc is it has not made it into the DevClusters file at this Beta level . The Attribute pulldown list is dependent on this. I added my RemoteLinc successfully but could not use it in Actions just as you have already discovered. I queried SHN this morning on the questions. Will post back when I get a response.

EDIT: an updated DevClusters file is being worked on. Maybe next week for availability. That should get you a working RemoteLinc definition. I do not expect to see Motion Sensor device definition with this. Because the Motion Sensor uses standard Insteon Group In commands it should be possible to define the MS as a RemoteLinc which will give you trigger support for the three different Groups the MS uses.

There will be message that the device link database could not be accessed when the RemoteLinc is added but the device will be added to the device list. Probably a good idea to do a SYNCH EZSERVE against the EZSrve device to bring in the MS link definitions that you manually created.

For those who read this without following the whole sequence you can add a real RemoteLinc device and have the link database read when the device is added. You have to put the RemoteLinc in linking mode before the device Add to bring it out of sleep mode.

Anonymous

For test purposes you can Add the Motion Sensor and define it as a KeypadLinc. The Motion Sensor is not going to respond because it is asleep but the device will be added. Now you can define Actions Conditions which trigger from Group 1/2/3 On/Off coming from the Motion Sensor, assuming you have linked the MS to the EZSrve manually. This will allow you to define and test the actions you want to respond to the Motion Sensor Group messages.

Anonymous

Thanks, grif091! Making them KeypaLinc-Relay’s helped, it did not occur to me that RemoteLinc’s are not supported as well, silly me :). I can see ClusterResponse in XML interface, I am getting On/Off on groups 1 and 2 as expected (0x1101, 0x1301, 0x1102, 0x1302). I have not tried actions in EZServe yet but I see no reason why they should not work. It would be great if 2.0 could manage links as well, but that is something I can live without.

Anonymous

Would you be so kind as to post what code I should use to initiate actions – for example what is the two digit code entered into V2.01 for the motion sensor indicating that motion has occured?

Thanks

Peter

Anonymous

The hex code for the Smarthome Motion Sensor indicating motion is 1101. The 0x11 is an Insteon ON command, the 0x01 is Group 01. The Motion Sensor uses Group 1 for motion sensed, Group 2 for dusk/dawn, and Group 3 for Low Battery.

1101 – Motion detected
    1301 – Motion no longer detected
    1102 – dusk
    1302 – dawn
    1103 – low battery

EDIT:
    These codes are also used for other devices. A SwitchLinc, ICON switch, ToggleLinc use Group 1 On/Off.

1101 – On paddle/toggle pressed
    1301 – Off paddle/toggle pressed

For a KeypadLinc the same convention is used, just more Groups.

1101 – Button Main (A) (ON for 6 button KPL) pressed ON (LED and load if connected) turns On
    1301 = same button turns Off (OFF for 6 button KPL)
    1102 – Button B pressed ON for KPL in 8 button mode (LED turns On)
    1102 – same button turns Off
    1103 – Button C pressed ON for KPL in 8 button mode (Button A in 6 button mode) (LED turns On)
    1303 – same button turns Off

Buttons D-H use group numbers 04-08 for 8 button KPL. Buttons B-D use group numbers 04-06 for a 6 button KPL.

Anonymous

Thanks – good info but I’m still having problems. Would you mind posting a screen shots of how I would trigger a dimmer linc to turn on based on motion (motion sensor linked as relay linc per info above).

This is what I have:

[attachment=0:zpyivyfa]EZSERVE2Motion2.jpg[/attachment:zpyivyfa][attachment=1:zpyivyfa]EZSERVE2Motion1.jpg[/attachment:zpyivyfa]

Anonymous

Assuming “Living Rm Ceiling 2” is the dimmer you have the correct Effect. Did you link the Motion Sensor as a Controller to the EZSrve. This has to been done for the internal EZSrve PLM to receive an Insteon message from the Motion Sensor. This link has to be done manually because the Motion Sensor does not support the Peek/Poke commands normally used by most applications (including EZSrve) to write link records.

Anonymous

I entered hex code for the motion sensor only. What is correct process?[attachment=0:qhl3weeh]EZSERVE2Motion3.jpg[/attachment:qhl3weeh]

Anonymous

The Action/Condition screens are correct as far as the hex values entered. If you are asking about the linking process the Motion Sensor Quick Start Guide or the Motion Sensor User Guide should detail how to link the Motion Sensor to a responder. Conceptually you will press some button on the Motion Sensor for some number of seconds to put it into Controller linking mode and then press the SET button on the EZSrve for it to respond as the responder. I don’t have a Motion Sensor so I cannot describe the process from firsthand experience. Every Smarthome device I have received comes with a Quick Start Guide that describes the linking process but the process can have unique details specific to the device involved. The User Guide for each device normally goes into more detail about linking/unlinking than the Quick Start Guide but the Quick Start Guides usually has enough information to create a basic link with a responder.

EDIT:

The need to link a controller to a responder is not unique to EZSrve. When you press a SwitchLinc paddle, a KPL button, and so on, the Insteon device sends a Group message sequence. This Group sequence consists of a Group Broadcast message followed by a Group Cleanup Direct message. It is this second message that is sent to a specific responder device Insteon address. This address is supplied to the controller when a responder is linked to the controller. Without this link most Insteon devices will not issue any messages when a paddle or KPL button is pressed, or in this case when motion is sensed. For the EZSrve to receive a Group message sequence it must be linked as a responder to whatever controller is being used. To trigger an Action with a SwitchLinc paddle press, a KPL button press, or motion there must be a link from the respective controller to the EZSrve as a responder. The motion sensor is unique only in the fact that it does not support Peek/Poke commands and therefore normal I1 link record write techniques cannot be used.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.