Stop input status changed messages on the EZIO2x4 ? 2007-06-03T17:24:04+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Stop input status changed messages on the EZIO2x4 ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    #39719 |

I have a set up where I am trying to only use 1 output port of the 2×4; I don’t need to read the inputs.

Unfortunately, I get a constant stream of input status changed messages for I3 and I4.

Received INSTEON “IO2x4 in Hall Closet” inputs status changed: 0, 0, 0, 1
    Received INSTEON “IO2x4 in Hall Closet” inputs status changed: 0, 0, 0, 0
    Received INSTEON “IO2x4 in Hall Closet” inputs status changed: 0, 0, 1, 0
    Received INSTEON “IO2x4 in Hall Closet” inputs status changed: 0, 0, 1, 1

I tried connecting I3 and I4 to GND, but it still happens… is there some relevant info missing from the quick start guide ?

Thanks.
    Mike

Anonymous

@asw24b wrote:

I have a set up where I am trying to only use 1 output port of the 2×4; I don’t need to read the inputs.

Unfortunately, I get a constant stream of input status changed messages for I3 and I4.

I tried connecting I3 and I4 to GND, but it still happens… is there some relevant info missing from the quick start guide ?

Thanks.
    Mike

I get the same symptom. Tying I3 and I4 to ground does not prevent the inputs from cycling on/off and sending status change announcements. However, if I connect the inputs to +5V with a pullup resistor, the inputs stay on and the status broadcasts stop. Do I have a defective unit or am I missing something?

-Jim

Anonymous

@RatRanch wrote:

@asw24b wrote:

Thanks.
    Mike

I get the same symptom. Tying I3 and I4 to ground does not prevent the inputs from cycling on/off and sending status change announcements. However, if I connect the inputs to +5V with a pullup resistor, the inputs stay on and the status broadcasts stop. Do I have a defective unit or am I missing something?

-Jim

It’s not defective; That’s what you need to do.

Anonymous

@asw24b wrote:

@RatRanch wrote:

@asw24b wrote:

Thanks.
    Mike

-Jim

It’s not defective; That’s what you need to do.

ASW – thanks for confirming that my EZIO is behaving “normally”. However, I’m still left wondering why the device would work this way. Isn’t it a serious design flaw if a lack of voltage at I3/I4 causes the device to report alternating on/off status?

-Jim

Anonymous

The inputs maybe a high impeadence; so it does not load down an Analog Signal. That could make it sensative to noise. If the unit had an added pull up resistor to stop this built in; it may then get poor readings with an analog signal.

Anonymous

I1/I2 have pullup resisters built in. I3/I4 do not have pullup resisters for the reason BLH mentioned. It would interfere with those inputs when operating those inputs in analog mode. I3 and I4 require pullup resisters if operating those Inputs in digital mode (the default mode) and dry contact switches are used. There are two areas of concern with the results that have been posted. First, connecting GND to I3 and/or I4 should have turned the respective Input to ON for as long as GND is applied. No cycling of the Input connected to GND. Second, connecting a pullup resister between 5V and I3 and a second pullup resister between 5V and I4 should have put the respective Input to OFF, rather than the ON that is indicated in the post. I have 3 2X4s in my network and they all work the same. Also just checked the I3/I4 voltages on one of them to be sure my memory and the quick-start guide were correct. GND turns I3/I4 ON and 5V through pullup resisters (without GND connection) turn the Inputs OFF. What value pullup resisters are you using. I have had good results with 10K pullup resisters. I have had confusing results at times when the wires were not well connected to the plug with the little screws. It is possible to insert the wire into the plug opening but not have it compressed between the two metal plates when the screw is tightened. Also be sure the orientation of the connections is not reversed.

EDIT: Also don’t try placing wires against the head of the little screws. Tempting during testing but does not give a reliable connection.

Anonymous

FYI, I have several 2×4’s in constant use. I3 and I4 have 10K 1/8th watt pull-up resistors. Without them, I saw the fluctuations and erroneous messages about the status changing. With them, it’s rock-solid.

I agree with the previous poster: Make sure your connections are tight.

Anonymous

In case someone is searching the forums for similar situations, the analog inputs on EZIO6I and EZIO8SA have the same floating characteristics when not connected, for the same reasons.

Anonymous

@grif091 wrote:

I3 and I4 require pullup resisters if operating those Inputs in digital mode (the default mode) and dry contact switches are used. There are two areas of concern with the results that have been posted. First, connecting GND to I3 and/or I4 should have turned the respective Input to ON for as long as GND is applied. No cycling of the Input connected to GND. Second, connecting a pullup resister between 5V and I3 and a second pullup resister between 5V and I4 should have put the respective Input to OFF, rather than the ON that is indicated in the post.

I rechecked all the connections and everything is secure. I’m using 10K pullup resistors between +5V and I3/I4 and measuring well over 4 volts at those inputs, so I’m still not sure why they are showing a steady ON status. And I still see alternating ON/OFF status at these inputs if I tie them to Gnd.

I should also mention that all of my observations are via an ISY-26 admin console and logs. The ISY-26 has limited support for the EZIO series and doesn’t recognize inputs configured as analog. Is it possible that the weird behavior I’m seeing is because I3/I4 somehow got set to analog? Unfortunately, I don’t have an Insteon PLC, so I don’t have a way of checking via the SHN utility.

Meanwhile, the immediate problem is solved because my network isn’t getting flooded with status change messages anymore.

-Jim

Anonymous

Looks like you have covered the electrical connection questions very well. Perhaps the 0/1 state bit values are viewed differently between the 2X4 and an ISY-26 (what 2X4 defines as OFF is interpreted as ON by ISY-26). I would not think I3/I4 being in analog mode would make any difference with a solid voltage applied to the I3/I4 Inputs.

Does the ISY-26 provide a means of viewing the actual Insteon messages that are flowing. Would be interesting to see what the 2X4 is sending when I3 or I4 is connected to GND. The SHN Utility does a 0x49 (cmd1) command (Read Input Port) to read the state of the Inputs. The cmd2 value in the response shows the state of the 4 Inputs.

0x08 = Input 4 ON
    0x04 = Input 3 ON
    0x02 = Input 2 ON
    0x01 = Input 1 ON

With I3 ON, I4 OFF the Read Input Port returned a 4.
    With I3 ON, I4 ON the Read Input Port returned a C.

Anonymous

I just recreated a situation where my EZIO2X4 sends “Status Changed” commands on a regular basis. With the Configuration Register set for “Enable Analog Inputs” (the I3/I4 Inputs are operating in analog mode rather than digital mode) and “Broadcast on Status Change” is set and the Inputs are not linked, and the I3/I4 Inputs are connected to GND, in come the Status Changed messages. Probably related to the default analog alarm values for I3/I4 causing what appears to be an Input change. When I switched the I3/I4 Inputs to 5V through the pullup resisters, the Status Change messages stopped. By turning off either the “Enable Analog Inputs” option or the “Broadcast on Status Change” option, stopped the flow of Status Messages.

Since you cannot use the SHN Utility to check/reset those options, I suggest doing a Factory reset procedure described in the Quick-Start Guide. Neither of the above options are on with a Factory reset. How those options were set to begin with is a question. They are stored in nonvolatile memory so once set they stay set, even when you pull the plug. Simplehomenet does test their devices so it may be that those options were set during testing and not restored to the Factory settings before shipment.

When those options are off, I3/I4 can be set to GND or 5V through pullup resisters without generating the Status Change messages.

Anonymous

@grif091 wrote:

I just recreated a situation where my EZIO2X4 sends “Status Changed” commands on a regular basis. With the Configuration Register set for “Enable Analog Inputs” (the I3/I4 Inputs are operating in analog mode rather than digital mode) and “Broadcast on Status Change” is set and the Inputs are not linked, and the I3/I4 Inputs are connected to GND, in come the Status Changed messages. Probably related to the default analog alarm values for I3/I4 causing what appears to be an Input change. When I switched the I3/I4 Inputs to 5V through the pullup resisters, the Status Change messages stopped. By turning off either the “Enable Analog Inputs” option or the “Broadcast on Status Change” option, stopped the flow of Status Messages.

Since you cannot use the SHN Utility to check/reset those options, I suggest doing a Factory reset procedure described in the Quick-Start Guide. Neither of the above options are on with a Factory reset. How those options were set to begin with is a question. They are stored in nonvolatile memory so once set they stay set, even when you pull the plug. Simplehomenet does test their devices so it may be that those options were set during testing and not restored to the Factory settings before shipment.

When those options are off, I3/I4 can be set to GND or 5V through pullup resisters without generating the Status Change messages.

Thanks for the testing and info Grif. You confirmed my suspicion that I3/I4 somehow got set to analog mode. The ISY-26 doesn’t log raw Insteon events, so I had no way to confirm this. What’s strange is that I did do a factory reset–held Set 10 seconds and continued holding for another 10 seconds after plugging in–before installing the device. I must have messed up the sequence, or perhaps something went amiss when I linked the EZIO to the ISY.

-Jim

Anonymous

With the 1.75 release of the SHN utility, I was able to test the analog alarm trip points. Testing confirms that GND on I3/I4 produces an analog value of 0 to 1. With a 10 bit analog resolution that is about as close as one would expect. That causes a state change because of the default alarm trip points of 0. After setting the alarm trip points to a midrange value, the flood of state change messages stopped. After debouncing my switches, I received one state change message when I switch between 5V through the pullup resisters and GND through the switch. Also, when I3/I4 are in analog mode, I3/I4 are reported OFF when GND is applied. This is opposite to digital mode and explains why the ISY-26 console was reporting states that looked backwards. In the analog world, GND is considered OFF and positive voltage is ON.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.