SCENES ??? 2008-11-19T01:16:45+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve SCENES ???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #40098 |

I’m trying to add a SCENE to my EZServe network. I have a Remote Linc and want to attach my scene to Button 1 on this controller. The way I started having this work was to create links to my devices from that button separate from the EZServe programming. This approach works fine. But, I want to understand SCENES.

I have 3 Devices that I’ll control from the one button; OFF WIN, OFF SPOT, and OFF CORNER. These are all OUTLETLINCS.

The first thing I did was to look at the devices files for my Remote Linc and remove ALL links referring to the above 3 devices. I then pulled up each of the devices and removed all links referring to the Remote Linc, button 1. I “SYNCHED” each device to make sure all the links were clean. I also checked to see that my Button 1 on the Remote link no longer worked.

I then added the scene pretty much as is shown in the Youtube video. At several points in this process, I had to make sure the Remote Linc was in linking mode by my pressing and holding button 1 down until it was flashing. I had to do this before I could add it as a controller or it would not find the remote linc.

I then added each of the 3 devices above one at a time. I again made sure that the remote link was flashing and then did a SAVE of the SCENE. After much flashing, I got an error message that it could not access one of the 3 devices; OFF WIN to be precise. Anyway, I then tested button 1 on the remote linc and it successfully controlled all three devices. Looks like a success.

HOWEVER, What I see when I look at the SCENE window is that the controlled devices are just OFF SPOT and EZServe. The other 2 devices don’t show up at all. What is with this.

AND, I deleted the SCENE and the OFF CORNER and OFF WIN still work but OFF SPOT no longer works, remember it was the only device that showed up when I looked at the SCENE.

This is very confusing. Why don’t all the devices show up properly.

Lee

Anonymous

The Scene SAVE had a communication problem with one of the OutletLincs and stopped the Scene creation process. From the Scene display results it looks like communication with the OutletLinc OFF SPOT was successful. For the RemoteLinc to control all three OutletLincs even though the EZSrve Scene creation was not totally completed, Responder link records must still exist in the OutletLincs from when you established links manually. When button 1 ON is pressed the RemoteLinc sends out a Group Broadcast ON message for Group 1. This message is not addressed to any specific device. All devices that have a responder link record with the RemoteLinc address will respond to the Group Broadcast ON message. This is a normal Insteon hardware response. You will find this written up in the Quick Start guide or the User Guides of the various Insteon devices under the section on Factory reset. When you deleted the Scene, EZSrve deleted the responder link from OFF SPOT because that was the only responder device it was aware of in the Scene. That is why that device no longer responds to a button 1 press. The other two OutletLincs did not have their responder link records deleted by EZSrve because they were not part of the Scene definition when the Scene was deleted.

Do you Smarthome Access Points installed for cross phase communication. The communication problem with OFF WIN OutletLinc could have been a transient problem, other Insteon traffic on the powerline during the scene creation process, or perhaps a persistent communication problem that will have to be resolved. There are devices which can induce noise on the powerline and devices which can attenuate the Insteon powerline signals. PC power supplies, UPS power supplies, some battery chargers can be either. Smarthome makes a FilterLinc device which can resolve both noise and signal attenuation problems. Plugging EZSrve into a surge suppressor will also degrade the powerline signals sent and received.

A RemoteLinc is one of the hardest devices to link with because of the receiver timeout to save battery life. Of course we are past that point now but there is a SYNCH EZSERVE function under EZSrve Device Management that reads the link records in a device and records them in the devices3.xml file. It is a good idea when the RemoteLinc times out, to use a different button than the one you are creating links with a Home Automation device or software. Once the first link is established with button 1. each time you press button 1 could cause it to send a Group Broadcast if the timing of the button 1 press is not correct. Of course when linking using the manual process you must use the RemoteLinc button you want to link with.

I would suggest downloading from the Simplehomenet web site their Simplehomenet Utility Suite. It is a free program that connects to the powerline through EZSrve. It can be used to display the link records in the OutletLincs. It can also be used to remove the responder links that were originally created during the manual linking process.

Anonymous

I have made several attempts to create scenes with the web interface and have never been able to get it to work properly. Perhaps my Insteon network is flaky, but Insteon direct commands and group commands seem to work just fine. I have found it easier to just manually create the scene using the SHN utility that Lee mentioned. In the Manage Device Links tab you can indicate the device you want to create the link in. The second device is the link-to device. The data entries are pretty easy once you get the hang of it. For the controlling device these will be 00 00 00, and then just fill in a group number (each scene controlled must have a unique group number with respect to that device: 2 – 255 I think). For the responder the link data determines how it will respond to a group(scene) command from the controller. The first data entry is the brightness level for a dimmer (0-FF in hex, always FF for a relay), the second is the ramp rate (32 steps, 0 – 1F – a hex value of 19 gives about a 4 sec ramp; always 00 for a relay), and the third you can leave as 00 (indicates the keypad number for the responder if you want a button to light up, enter thy number [1-8 for 8-button: 1 and 3-6 for a 6-button: 1 is always the load control button). The easiest way to deal with the hex code is to find one of many hex-decimal converters on the web. Convert a decimal value for your brightness level to hex code (e.g., 50% is decimal 255/2=128, which converts to a hex value of 80), and enter that in the first data slot, and so forth. Just make sure your group number matches between the controller and responder links and make sure you tick off the responder/controller button at the bottom.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.