Scene won’t stick when creating macro 2008-06-28T00:56:58+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Scene won’t stick when creating macro

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    #39989 |

I have setup a scene which includes outdoor lights (switchlink relays).

I have tried to create macros that will turn on the scene when an event happens, such as X10 sensor sends on, or when a Insteon switch is pressed.

The Macro screen won’t let me save the scene as the device to activate. It will let me save a named device – but not a scene.

I have 1.52 firmware.

How is this supposed to work?

Thanks

Anonymous

Make sure the EZSrve is listed as one of the controllers.

Anonymous

Scene refuses to stick in the setting. I had the EZServe as the controller and that did not work. I tried adding other devices as controllers and the scene won’t stick. It always reverts to the first device in the list as the device to activate. (A single device instead of the scene)

This happens for timers and for macros.

The scene shows up in the list of devices that can be added – just won’t stick.

What is the correct procedure? The documentation does not explain it. Also, what is the time window?

Thanks

Anonymous

Probably easier to work through this with a Timer as there are fewer variables. Can you provide detail as to content of a specific group/scene that you cannot assign to a Timer? When the Group/Scene was established by EZSrve, did it say “Scene Saved Successfully” (meaning all the links had been successful). What is the Controller, what is the Responder(s)? I have many Groups/Scenes in my Insteon network and most cannot be controlled by a Timer. For example, SwitchLinc A is the Controller, LampLinc A and LampLinc B are the Responders. SwitchLinc A will have a “Controller of” link for LampLinc A and a “Controller of” link for LampLinc B. LampLinc A will have a “Responder to” link for SwitchLinc A and LampLinc B will have a “Responder to” link for SwitchLinc A. This Group/Scene can be defined by EZSrve, the links can be established by EZSrve, but the Group/Scene cannot be controlled by EZSrve. Nothing in the current Insteon architecture allows EZSrve, as a Controller, to operate this Group/Scene. Only SwitchLinc A can control this Group/Scene. Once we have a Group/Scene that can be controlled by an EZSrve Timer, then we can move on to a Macro. Someone in another thread made the comment that one has to think like an Insteon device when looking at Groups/Scenes and how they relate to Timers and Macros. I found this to be a helpful tip. Sorry if all of this is old news.

EDIT: Knowing the Unit (group) number of the scene that you created that cannot be assigned to a Timer is also important. The Unit number is stored in the Timer XML entry, where the Insteon device address would be for a specific device. I have found that Default_01 Group/Scene cannot be assigned to a Timer/Macro. If Unit 01 was used for your new group/scene, it could appear to be Default_01 and not be accepted.

EDIT2: I have created a Macro that triggers when X10 A06 ON, turning on Scene/Group SWineBottle and a second Macro that triggers when X10 A06 OFF, turning Scene/Group SWineBottle OFF. Scene/Group SWineBottle has EZSrve Unit 02 as Controller and a LampLinc as a responder. X10 A06 ON turns on the Lamplinc as a Group with a Group Broadcast, Group Cleanup Direct ON sequence and X10 A06 OFF turns off the Lamplinc as a Group with a Group Broadcast, Group Cleanup Direct OFF sequence. Image level is 1.52.

Anonymous

Creating a Macro with a Scene/Group number of 01 actually does create the XML file entry, with Group 01 as the RID value. When you redisplay the Macro, the Then: field is not set explicitly so it displays whatever was in that field from the previous Macro display. Much of the time it is the first device in the list. However, if I display a Macro which has a Scene name in the Then: field that has a Unit number other than 01, the Scene name appears correctly. Follow that with a Macro display where the Then: Scene name has a group of 01, the Scene name from the previous Macro display remains in the Then: field.

Creating multiple scenes with EZSrve as the Controller, using the same Unit/Scene/Group number is not logical. Native Insteon hardware devices would not create that situation, nor would well behaved software. If you trigger a Macro for any Scene with Unit 01, where multiple Scenes have been created using Unit 01, the Default_01 Scene is driven, regardless of what the Macro definition might have specified for a Scene name. This is due to the fact that the Unit/Scene/Group number is stored in the Macro definition, not the actual Scene/Group name, and the first Scene in the Scenes XML file with Group 01 is Default_01.

Conclusions:

DON’T define multiple scenes with EZSrve as the Controller using the same Unit number. You will have to manage (remember) the Unit number when defining Scenes with EZSrve as the Controller. You can always review the existing Macro definitions to be sure a new Unit number is being used.

It is possible to drive the Default_01 scene from a Macro. The scene name will not appear correctly if the Macro is redisplayed but the Default_01 Scene is actually driven. I watched the Group Broadcast, Group Cleanup Direct messages issued when a Unit 01 Scene is driven, with the Group Cleanup Direct messages following the sequence of devices in the Default_01 Scene/Group.

Anonymous

Thanks for the help with scene/group info.

Here is more detail about my setup:

I have 4 Switch Link Relays controlling outdoor lighting. In addition there are two 4+2 button Keypad Links for other lighting loads and to display status and to control outdoor lights. For example, a Keypad link in the bedroom shows the status and can control outdoor lighting. (In the “old” days had to get up and walk to the other end of the house to turn out lights).

I also have a driveway sensor that closes a contact when a car comes down my road (rural area). The contact closure causes a X10 signal to be sent that is seen by another relay that causes the doorbell to ring. Housecode D02 is the trigger that rings the bell. Although X10 is bad for reliablity, this works well as both relays are on the same circuit.

The various Insteon devices were linked and worked well prior to adding the EZServe.

I would like the EZServe to see the X10 from the driveway sensor and turn on outside lights, if it is night time. The EZServe is on the same circuit as the X10 relays so it should see the X10 traffic. So far I have not been able to trigger a macro based upon a X10 D02 ON signal.

I have tried to create a scene containing the outside lights and then have that scene controlled by a timer as well as the X10 D02 ON. I can’t get a scene to stick. (even with EZSerev as controller and using other than 01 as the group)

Right now my EZServe is showing “Scene Creation/Deletion in progress”. This has been going for 15 minutes. I am going to cancel.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anonymous

The fact that linking a Scene did not complete suggests the EZSrve is having communication problems with one or more Insteon devices in the Scene. The only time I have seen this happen here was when I changed from Signalincs to Access Points and had the Access Points on the same phase. I figured this out by plugging the EZSrve into a good 50’ three prong extension cord and moving the plug end around until I had good communication. Not a solution but it did help analyze the problem. There was another thread where communication problems were resolved by adding a BoosterLinc, plugging the EZSrve directly into the BoosterLinc.

As far as having a Macro fire when an X10 signal is received, turning on a Scene, is working here under 1.52 so were looking for something unique about your configuration or environment. Perhaps trying something simpler to start with. I assume you have the X10 D02 device defined to EZSrve and that at least one of the SwitchLincs controlling the outside lights is also defined as a device to EZSrve. Create this Macro ….

If: X10D02name Does: ON
    At: Anytime
    On all days checked
    Then: Switchlincname Does: ON

That is about as simple as a Macro gets. No Scene links required. The Switchlincname should be turned on with an Insteon Direct command.

Create an Area and add the Switchlincname to the area. Using the first screen displayed when EZSrve starts up, select the Area and be sure you can reliably turn on/off the Switchlincname. Do you have an X10 controller that can send the X10 D02 ON message. That would allow plugging the X10 controller closer to the EZSrve. Also do you have anything that traces the X10 and Insteon message traffic, like HouseLinc or PowerHome using a PLC. Knowing what X10 and Insteon traffic did or did not flow should help.

Can you post the Scene from the XML file that you are having trouble with.

Anonymous

This is a fairly simple item, but we found a bug in the macro naming that will be resolved in the next release (v1.53)

If an underscore ‘_’ is used in the name of the macro, you will have problems. To resolve this, change the name of the macro to not include the ‘_’.

Sorry for the bug to all users out there.

Anonymous

Thanks Paul. That actually makes more sense than my conclusion it was group 01. With cherokeesix having problems with the Scene names other than group 01 not displaying, probably has _ in those Scene names. Really appreciate your post as it saves time tracking down something that was already known.

EDIT: Paul, did you mean Scene name has a problem with _ or Macro name or maybe it applies to both. In my case the Macro name has no _ but trying to use the Scene name Default_01 in the Then: clause of the Macro is where I see the problem.

Anonymous

Clarification – I meant both.

Thanks grif091!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.