Problems with EZX10RF 2008-01-20T03:53:08+00:00

HOME Forums Controllers EZX10RF Problems with EZX10RF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    #39844 |

I find that the EZX10RF’s RF reception is very flaky. Often I press a switch on an RF remote and get no response from the EZ unit: the Insteon command doesn’t execute and no signal appears in the log of my computer automation software (Indigo running under Mac OS 10.5.1). This happens even when the RF remote is right next to the EZ unit, so it’s not an RF range issue. At other times, the signals go through just fine — I’d say it works about half the time.

Does anyone have advice, or should I give up on the EZX10RF and go back to (slower) X10 RF modules?

George

Anonymous

Maybe defective. Mine seems to have a good range.
    Is the LED on steady or flickering?
    Flickering could be showing powerline noise that maybe causing problems.

Anonymous

I don’t see any flickering. I do notice that the LED is sometimes bright blue and sometimes a dimmer blue, although I can’t correlate that with the problems I’m having. I set up an X10 RF repeater but that doesn’t help, so the problem isn’t RF range, but something internal to the EZX10RF.
    George

Anonymous

You may want to call Simplehomenet Support and talk to them or they may reply here.
    It does not sound right on the intermitent no response and the Blue LED being bright or dim. Only time that happens with mine is when first powered up and it is being initilized.

Anonymous

It does indeed sound like something is either disrupting the signal or their is an issue with the module.

Have you tried moving the module somewhere else in the house to see how it works?

Are you looking at just Insteon messaging, or also X10 echo? Is there a difference in performance between the two?

For immediate support, call our number. Even if you get the machine, leave your name and number – we do call back. You can also email support@simplehomenet.com for quicker response.

You can continue to use the forums, though they are targeted more for the community.

Anonymous

I dug an old Windows machine out of my closet to run Simplehomenet Utility Suite 1.6. When I type in my EZX10RF Insteon ID, I get an error dialog box: “Unhandled exception has occurred… The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRRESULT: 0x80010105 (RFC_E_SERVERFAULT)).”

This is all very frustrating.

George

Anonymous

Are you using an EZBridge or a PLC? If you are using a PLC – did you check the first screen that tells you to download the SDM, and verify connectivity with the PLC?

Sorry for the frustration – I strongly encourage you to call our support number or email us directly.

1-877-495-0144

support@simplehomenet.com

Anonymous

@pauln wrote:

Are you using an EZBridge or a PLC? If you are using a PLC – did you check the first screen that tells you to download the SDM, and verify connectivity with the PLC?

Sorry for the frustration – I strongly encourage you to call our support number or email us directly.

1-877-495-0144

support@simplehomenet.com

I’m using the PLC and, yes, I did install the SDM first.

George

Anonymous

Did the application connect to the PLC?

Anonymous

Yes, it connected and showed the correct Insteon address for the PowerLinc.
    George

Anonymous

After a monumental struggle, I was able to install XP on my Intel MacBook and get SHN Utility to run. Acting on the assumption that “X10 House/Unit Filter” refers to X10 signal relaying, I’ve shut down the relay function to see whether that clears up my problem.

I’m encountering a good deal of communications timeouts between my PowerLinc module and the EZX10RF unit, even when both are plugged into the same outlet. I wish I could ascertain the source of the noise. Whatever it is, I have yet to be able to complete a Display Existing Links in the EZX10RF in order to begin disentangling the X10-to-Insteon translation.

I think you’d have a lot of grateful users out here — we might even buy the first round of drinks — if you made the utility easier to use or worked with developers to get EZX10RF link support into the various automation software packages.

George

Anonymous

Sorry about your frustration. We’ve made some strides with some third party software but find that “user pull” is more effective than “Simplehomenet push” in getting their support.
    Our utility will improve in the future but given its free and open-source nature, we count on the user base to step in and help..

We do get it, however. Our products may be unique but our business success will depend on how easy we make it for everyone to use them effectively.

Anonymous

Thanks. I hope I didn’t come across as too harsh because I do appreciate your efforts, although it *is* frustrating to have to jump through so many hoops. I’ve started to figure out the EZX10RF command structure and am working on a simple AppleScript for Indigo, as a stopgap measure.
    George

Anonymous

If you have any question about the command set, feel free to email us directly. Also, when you are done with the script, I hope you will be willing to share it so other customers can benefit, we can post it if you would like.

Thanks

paul _at_ simplehomenet.com

Anonymous

My attempts at a script are at http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2833. If someone can test it out, I can then clean it up.
    George

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.