Problem adding new device 2009-06-18T15:12:23+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Problem adding new device

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #40169 |

I have an early-model EZSrve with an external PLM. (It started life as an EZBridge.) I recently upgraded the firmware to version 1.60.

I’m having a couple of problems:

– After power-on, the LED on the PLM blinks continuously. Eventually, it stops blinking, but I’m not sure what causes it to stop. Is that correct behavior?

– If I try to add a device on the EZSrve web form, and answer Yes to “Would you like to create an Insteon link?”, the “Device additon/deletion in progress” screen appears, and never goes away. I have to cancel the operation. The device appears to get added, but the Device Management screen says “Device links database is empty.”

Got any idea what’s wrong?

Also, I am interested in linking a device to the EZSrve so that when the device’s buttons are pressed, xml messages are transmitted over the EZBridge interface to a program I am writing. What is the correct procedure for configuring the EZSrve so that this happens? I assume I have to create some kind of link(s).

Anonymous

Do you have manual control of the new device from the EZBridge? That is, if you add the new device to an Area can you turn it On and Off from the Device View/Control screen. It sounds like you have a communication problem with that device. What type of device is it? If a plug in type device you can try plugging it into another location. If hardwired, then Access Point locations, do you have a FilterLinc at the PC/UPS location to isolate the PC/UPS, questions of this nature regarding general powerline communication come to mind. You can try the SYNCH EZSERVE function to read the device link database. However, if you are having communication problems with the device this may not work either.

Define a Scene with the device as a Controller with the EZBridge as the responder. This will allow the EZBridge to receive the Group messages when the device is manually turned On and Off. Execute the SHN Utility Suite, connect to EZBridge, then click on EZBridge/EZSrve tab and then the Control tab, manually turn device On, you will see the xml in the “data received” window that your application will receive.

Anonymous

Thanks for your help!

I was able to get everything to work with a SwitchLinc. Then, I tried to link a 6-button keypad to the ezsrve/bridge. First, I added the keypad as a device in the EZSrve web interface. Next, I confirmed that I was able to turn the keypad on and off from the EZSrve. So, I know the devices are able to communicate. But, when I try to create a scene with the keypad as a controller and the EZSrve as a responder, the “Scene Creation/Deletion in Progress…” screen appears and never finishes. I have to cancel it.

Is there something special you have to do to configure a keypad as a scene controller? Also, how do you specify which keypad button controls the scene? What I’m trying to do is configure things so that I get an xml message from the ezbridge when I press button “C” on the keypad.

Anonymous

Each KeypadLinc button uses a Group number based on a hardware convention. In 6 button mode, the large ON and OFF buttons use Group 1. The 4 smaller buttons, A, B, C, D use Group 3, 4, 5, 6 respectively. Button C uses Group 5 (unit 05).

ON
    A B
    C D
    OFF

There is nothing special about creating a Scene with a KeypadLinc. Since you have an EZBridge I would download the free SimpleHomeNet Utility Suite and use it to display the link database in the KeypadLinc. It can take many minutes to work with a link database depending on the current content because the database is accessed 1 byte at a time, with each link record being 8 bytes long. Running the Utility will show what is in the KeypadLinc link database as well as determining if there are communication problems with the device. It could be on the opposite 120V leg as the EZBridge, the EZBridge Insteon signals could be attenuated by the power supplies of a PC and/or UPS that is generally connected close to the EZridge PLM. If the Utility can display the KeypadLinc link database consistently without errors, the EZBridge should be able to do the same.

Anonymous

Yee ha, it works.

BTW, I’m in Chapel Hill. Whereabouts are you, and how did you figure all of this out? Are you working with Insteon professionally or just playing around with it as am I?

Anonymous

Glad it is working. I sent you PM.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.