Pre 12/2007 EZBridge/EZServe 2008-11-20T06:10:31+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Pre 12/2007 EZBridge/EZServe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    #40103 |

How can I tell what the latest version of the EZServe firmware will run on my EZBridge/EZServe? Is it something that can be determined by the serial number or mac?

Anonymous

What he said.

I’ve got one of the early EZBridge units (the separate unit with the PLM, connected via an RJ-45 serial cable). It’s been hidden away for most of the last year while we had our basement finished, and now that the holidays are upon us (and my CM11A seems to have finally given up the ghost) I’ve dug it up and want to get it up to speed.

However, I’m really not sure what I can upgrade to.

I’ve seen a few people ask whether you can skip versions, or how to find old versions, but never saw any useful responses. So, please — what do I do? My current version is 0.32 (from early January 2008) and I’d love to get upgraded to something current, but am afraid to brick my box.

I *did* get it sent back to SHN at one point late last year for some kind of hardware magic that was necessary for one of the earlier firmware upgrades. Is that what’s meant by the pre-12/07 units?

Anonymous

From the Downloads section of the SHN web site for downloading the current image, “Please also note that this file version is NOT compatible with EZBridge units shipped before 12/1/07!! Contact us for EZBridge upgrade details.” If your EZBridge was shipped after 12/1/2007 it is suppose to be compatible with the latest EZSrve/EZBridge image available which is 1.59 as of this post. Has anyone with a unit shipped before 12/1/2007 contacted SHN as requested and got different information?

You can skip upgrades. The XML database was changed at 1.54 so if you are migrating from an image before that there is a utility provided in the Downloads section to merge the devices and scenes xml files together. Again from the Downloads section regarding the conversion tool, “Run in the command line under Windows to convert the devices and scenes file to the single file format used in version 1.54.”

The EZBridge device can still be purchased so you should be able to bring an EZBridge up to the current image (not ignoring the 12/1/2007 question!).

Like any upgrade that is skipping many intermediate versions of software (or firmware in this case) it is often best to just start over from scratch with the latest version. Depends on how many devices, timers, macros etc you have defined whether trying to migrate very old stuff is really worth the effort. Again, this is independent from the question of hardware compatibility based on ship date.

Anonymous

Thanks for the update. I’m still uncertain about a couple of things, the answers for which might be useful to others on the forum:

• When did my older bridge become incompatible with current releases? (that is, is it only 1.59 that won’t work, or did the problem arise with an earlier release?) Phrased another way: What’s the most recent release I can use?
    • Where can I find the older releases? The downloads page has only 1.59 available.

Meanwhile, I’ll contact SHN directly to try and figure out what’s what. The previous hardware upgrade I remembered happened way back in August of 2007, so I’m definitely in the “can’t use 1.59” camp.

Anonymous

I think I understand now based on those last questions. Thanks. There is no repository of old images and matching documentation (user guide and release notes) that would be in sync with each of the older images. You upgrade to whatever is the latest image. The only question is whether your EZBridge was shipped prior to 12/1/2007 and requires an upgrade before moving to the latest image. I don’t remember which functional upgrade (which EZSrve image level) introduced the need to upgrade EZBridge but it is quite some time back. I’ll search through the old EZSrve forum entries to see if I can find that answer but it might have been noted on the downloads section only. I did find a Jan 29, 2008 post which documented the 1.00 EZsrve image release and that it was installable on EZBridge but there was no mention of EZBridge ship date so I don’t know if that applied that far back. The EZBridge forum topic was shifted to EZSrve at that time.

Anonymous

I have found a user with an EZBridge purchased in Jan 2008 who has updated to the 1.59 EZSrve image and is running fine. I cannot find anything in the forums that identifies which EZSrve image required an EZBridge shipped before 12/1/2007 to be updated. It might actually be the first “EZSrve” image but I can’t find anything in writing to support that. It was not any of the recent EZSrve images.

Anonymous

I have found a user with an EZBridge purchased in Jan 2008 who has updated to the 1.59 EZSrve image and is running fine. I cannot find anything in the forums that identifies which EZSrve image required an EZBridge shipped before 12/1/2007 to be updated. It might actually be the first “EZSrve” image but I can’t find anything in writing to support that. It was not any of the recent EZSrve images.

Thanks a bunch for checking! I did some rough looking (mostly at subject lines and inside a few threads) but hadn’t found anything either. Perhaps the 1.59 image is the first that won’t work with older hardware. But even if I knew that the previous firmware would work (or any given particular version), I’m not sure there’s a way to get those older versions.

That Java discovery and upgrade tool might have access to older versions, so maybe I should take that apart and see if there are other URLs for past firmwares. But I’d still need to know which version won’t brick my box (as I’ve bricked it once before and don’t want to do that again!) That might also let us find older release notes (the one link we’ve got seems to only be notes for the current release, not a cumulative history of all release notes).

I’ve sent a note directly to Simple Home Net, but haven’t heard back yet. I’ll post here with whatever I learn.

david.

Anonymous

Okay, I’ve found a URL in the Java discovery tool:

http://www.simplehomenet.com/firmware.xml

This XML document lists links for binaries and release notes for 1.55 through 1.59, but nothing prior. And none of these release notes indicate incompatibility with hardware from before Dec 2007, so I’m still betting that I can’t use any of them on my box.

Still waiting for a direct response from SHN on this, either to my email or here in the forum. Anyone listening? 🙂

Anonymous

Okay, I haven’t had all my questions answered (like which firmware revision initiated the need for a hardware fix), but I did get my device upgraded.

In short: I have a 1st generation (or so) EZBridge unit, which I got in early/mid 2007. In late summer 2007, it was sent back for some kind of hardware upgrade to make it into an EZServe (though still a separate unit from the PLM, unlike the current EZServe product).

Apparently, there was still some need for hardware tweaking (not sure how) even though I’d had the EZServe upgrade. Also, they upgraded the PLM somehow (actually sending that out to Smartlabs). So though it was a pain (this makes the 3rd time I’ve had to RMA this damned thing! 🙂 ), at least now I know I’m at the absolutely current revision for everything.

It’s no longer a free process (unlike when we beta users got upgraded to EZServe), which I’m not sure how I feel about that but I suppose I can’t really fault them since I got a PLM upgrade out of the deal (which I’d expect to be Smartlabs’ problem, not SimpleHomeNet’s).

And thanks to Al and everyone for getting it fixed QUICKLY and sent back to me fast. I really do appreciate that.

Now I just have to figure out everything I’ve missed over the past year. I’ll save that for other threads…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.