Possible future feature? 2008-01-30T18:21:42+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Possible future feature?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    #39852 |

I just though of this the other day – not something that I _need_ but I can see where it might be useful at some point:

Any chance of changing the port number that EZServe talks on? I haven’t dug into it but since a normal web address gets there I assume it is on port 80.

I think that the usual firewall/gateway can only redirect a port to a single internal net address – so that would limit me to a single web server on my home net, which in this case will be the EZServe.

thanks
    edc

Anonymous

Added to the new feature list – it is a good idea. We do already have the provision for the socket port to be changed, but missed the HTML.

As far as routers go, my home router allows me to direct a unique external port number to the same ports inside (it is a DLink).

So, I can have

MYIPADDRESS:8080 –> localserver:80
    MYIPADDRESS:8080 –> differentlocalserver:80

So, it should not be a limitation there, but based on configurations users may still want to change the port. The only risk, if you forget the port, you will have to reset the module – always a downer.

Anonymous

Paul:

I’m a bit confused – how does the router know _which_ of the two or more hosts to send each connection to? Simple alternation?

edc

Anonymous

Here is a link to a DLink Emulator:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/adv_virtual.htm

From that page:

“The Virtual Server option allows you to define a single public port on your router for redirection to an internal LAN IP Address and Private LAN port if required. This feature is useful for hosting online services such as FTP or Web Servers. “

Anonymous

Paul:

Forgive me if I’m being dense here:

What that page says makes sense, but what you posted:
    MYIPADDRESS:8080 –> localserver:80
    MYIPADDRESS:8080 –> differentlocalserver:80

shows the _same_ external port going to two different internal servers, and what I can’t figure out is who or what is making the choice as to which internal server shoudl get the traffic at any one time. It looks like the DLink lets you schedule it (which I assume means time schedule – i.e. localserver gets traffic from 1PM to 2PM, differentlocalserver gets it the reast of the time).

What I was hoping to do is to have multiple servers available concurrently.

thanks again
    edc

Anonymous

No, not dense. I had some typos. Take two.

MYEXTERNAL_IPADDRESS:80 –> localserver:80
    MYEXTERNAL_IPADDRESS:8080 –> differentlocalserver:80

So, if you type in your IP address from a remote location

http://123.123.213.123:80

It will load localserver:80

while

http://123.123.123.123:8080

will load differentlocalserver:80

Hope that makes sense?

Anonymous

OK.. that makes sense and is exactly what I was looking for – change the EZServe to 8080 or such and point the external browser at MyHomeIP:8080 to turn the lights on & off…. but still able to have a normal web server (say a webcam or something without the flexibility to change ports) up and running at port 80.

thanks..
    edc

Anonymous

The trick is that you don’t need to change the EZSrve port number. Both a web cam and the EZSrve can be port 80, and the router routes external traffic based on the external port.

Yeah though, you got it.

Anonymous

I missed that bit of cleverness! Let the _router_ do the magic!

edc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.