Offtopic: Insteon vs X10 Devices 2008-07-19T15:09:51+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Offtopic: Insteon vs X10 Devices

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #40013 |

I have a house full of X10 and now that I have the EZServe (and loving it now that 1.53 is out) I am thinking of augmenting my existing X10 installation with Insteon devices. I have done a lot of research and understand many of the technical differences. However I have one more question that I can not find the answer for…

My X10 Outlet devices making a “clicking” noise when turned on/off. I realize that this is a physical change that is occurring inside the outlet and is needed. I was wondering whether the Insteon devices do the same or if they are at least quieter.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Steve

Anonymous

The X10 outlet has a mechanical ratchet switch in it and toggles between on and off. Thus the CLUNK. Same for the X10 WS13 wall switch.

I don’t have an OutletLinc but if it is like the ApplianceLinc and Switchlinc Relay modules; they uses a power relay and not a mechanical ratchet switch. It will be much quieter.

I am sure someone with an OutletLinc will verify this for you.

Remember Insteon Devices are two way so as you add Insteon devices the remaining X10 ones may start missing things. Two way modules can absorb signals and Insteon does not rebroadcast X10 messages only Insteon ones.

Anonymous

@BLH wrote:

Remember Insteon Devices are two way so as you add Insteon devices the remaining X10 ones may start missing things. Two way modules can absorb signals and Insteon does not rebroadcast X10 messages only Insteon ones.

Thanks good to know. That might make we wait a while until I can afford (time wise) to upgrade all devices at the same time.

Anonymous

I am still using my Insteon devices with X10 Primary Addresses for now along with Insteon.
    Mostly not needed anymore as the RemoteLinc can control the lights now, except a few X10 switches where Insteon will not fit. Basically where my old home only has no Neutral wiring in the switch box. Insteon switches need a line and neutral wire. Technically a control only switch does not need a load if it is linked to another switch in a three way setup.

Also there isn’t a Insteon Chime Module so for now I have a mixed system. I also have a decent X10 repeater across the phases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.