Normally On State for Inputs Harmful? 2008-05-22T10:58:33+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Normally On State for Inputs Harmful?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    #39960 |

I am using 2 opto inputs to monitor the status of my 2 garage doors. To do this I have the ~25VDC output that powers the IR sensor beams on the garage door hooked up to the input. When the door is closed the input is on, which is most of the time. Are there any longevity worries for driving the input at all times? Optoisolator lifetime?

Anonymous

I looked through the specs from various optocoupler suppliers and none mentioned a shortened lifespan when the duty cycle is mostly on. You can always go with a NO contact to signal door closed state and use the +5V/+12V supply built into the EZXIOxx device which is lower voltage and probably better regulated than that used to power the IR safety devices. If you chose Input on as the closed state to have an Insteon ON command issued when the door closes, you can change to an Input off state and reverse the Insteon ON/OFF commands using the Simplehomenet Utility.

Anonymous

Well unfortunately I’m using an SPDT switch to monitor garage status and I need the “closed when garage is open” side to ensure that the garage can only be closed remotely, not opened. So I have to use the “closed when garage is closed” side for status… unless I want to put more hardware into the setup.

Obviously the LED will reach lifetime more quickly if it is always on. I guess though since LED lifetimes are ~10 years then I won’t worry too much about it but was just curious.

Anonymous

If you chose Input on as the closed state to have an Insteon ON command issued when the door closes, you can change to an Input off state and reverse the Insteon ON/OFF commands using the Simplehomenet Utility.

I’m currently using my EZIO with a couple of close circuit sensors, so the inputs read ON when the contacts are closed.

I’ve looked at the SimpleHomeNet Utility, and am unsure what option would reverse the inputs so that a closed sensor would read as OFF instead.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Anonymous

You cannot change the state of the input without changing the contact from NC to NO. A NC circuit to GND turns the Input ON. However, if you have linked the Input to another Insteon device, like a Keypadlinc, and want an Input ON condition to be reflected as an OFF button, you reverse the Insteon commands issued for each transition. Using the SHN Utility, EXIOxx tab, Inputs Settings and Monitor tab, Insteon All_Link Group Commands Settings section, Transition Off to On is, by default, an Insteon ON (0x11) command and Transition On to Off is, by default, an Insteon OFF (0x13) command. For the particular Input, change the 0x11 to a 0x13 and the 0x13 to a 0x11. With that change, when the Input goes to an ON state, an Insteon Group OFF command is issued. When the Input goes to an OFF state, an Insteon Group ON command is issued. This affects an Input only if linked to another Insteon device. The data in a Broadcast Status Change message is unchanged and the actual state of the Input is unchanged.

The GND state being Input ON applies to the opto-isolated inputs and the analog inputs working in Digital (default) mode. However, when the analog inputs are operating in Analog mode, a zero (GND) voltage is considered OFF and a positive voltage is considered ON. I have tested and confirmed this on an EZIO2X4. I have not tested the analog inputs in analog mode on the other EZIOxx devices.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured this out last night, and it’s working fairly well. I’m using the EZIO with an ISY.

The only problem that I found was that when the ISY does its nightly poll (or any time the EZIO is polled), it will return it’s actual status rather than the reversed commands and my ISY will get “out of sync”. So, it will once again read ON when my door is closed, and OFF when my door is open.

This is the garage door contact I am currently using:
    http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html

I think what I actually want is these:
    http://www.smarthome.com/7455b.html

I went ahead and ordered 2, so hopefully they will do what I need.

Anonymous

That will do it. Using the NO side of the switch will put the state of the door and the state of the input in sync. When the door is closed, the switch will be open and the input will be off. When the door opens, the switch closes and the input will be on.

Anonymous

Great – thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.