HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve New here, Need X10 and HCS-II Adptation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Just received by EZSrve and EZIO2X4 and learning to use them via both the Harmony web page flash interface and the direct HTML interface to the IP device. Have two devices setup, an appliance and a lamp module to experiment. How does this system detect and report the status of an X10 command monitored on the powerline from some other device. In this case an X10 RF transciever. Both should operate independantly but the EZServe ought to track the on-off status and maybe dim/brighten level. I will want to have a macro work based on logic operating with the status or flag value of a particular house/unit code.

Many needs for this and other features so that I can recreate the functions I’ve used for years with my Circuit Celler HCS-II automation controller and associated I/O features.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Define the X10 addresses to EZSrve. The Harmony client will show the X10 device Icon as illuminated when an On command is received and not illuminated when an Off command is received. Not sure about bright/dim levels. Actions can be defined to trigger from X10 On (02) and Off (03) commands for sure. Never tried triggering from a Bright or Dim X10 command.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After many months, I’m back to working with my EZServ and 2x4IO module.
    I’m finding that I need to manuually send X10 dim commands about 16 times to get to the level I want. What is the easiest way to get EZServ to get the equivalent action to X10 devices?

Anonymous
    Inactive

BobW, welcome back. If you are referring to the X10 Extended Dim command that allows a percentage Dim value, that is not available. Not an EZSrve limitation. All powerline communication goes through a Smartlabs PLM which does not support Extended X10 commands.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, as of last night, I have enough of this working semi-reliably to say I’ve accomplished the basic work to replace the functions of my HCS-2.
    It took adding new outlets so that I have access to both phases directly at 2 of my subpanels, and a whole lot of experimenting and learning. There is a lot more tinkering needed to improve the setup but the skeleton is functional.

I have basic timed functions working based on sunrise and sunset logic with offsets;

I can have the system read an X10 event that occurs on the PL and take an X10 and/or Insteon action. (Such as an on/off command broadcast due to an X10 RF to PL command.

The EZIO has all 4 inputs functional and being read over Insteon by EZServe and taking actions. These consist of a lighting sequence for each of (1) our main garage door; (2) a PIR in one area of the house and (3) another PIR in a separate area both with lighting events to turn on, dim and later turn off. I used Inputs 1 and 2 with simple contacts and the +5/ground of the EZIO. I used inputs 3 and 4 with 10K pullups, which is read as OFF by EZServe and ON when you short out the resistor. I experimented with Analog but didn’t get far yet.

One EXIO just has a toggle switch on it for testing. The (2) relay outputs work using the Utility to toggle and I have a couple of LEDs connected for testing, I haven’t taken time to program some action yet to set those using Insteon/X10.

A dimming sequence on X10 works poorly and is awkward. It would be far better if they built in a command to dim to a level (dim X times) in one command, which properly times and maybe deals with other PL traffic when it does it.

There have been a few strange X10 lights on for unknown reasons (which generally didn’t happen with the HCS and TW523 running things.

The EZServe does NOT seem to put out as strong a signal for X10 as the TW523 here.

I plugged in my Smarthome PLM 2413S but it does not have a computer hooked to it right now for anything. I’m hoping it does some Insteon repeating to help some of the communication – although I have the EZServe and EZIO piggybacked into each other right at a single phase at my main power panel (same place I used to have the TW523. I have an X10 booster link at one of my subpanels where I used to have it before also. The 2413S is tested both with Simplehomenet’s utility, as well as a couple of demo PC based programs on a PC. I have not played with Misterhouse at all yet.

I’ve not used the Harmony interface other than for looking because I’m still on what part of it works right and what incorrectly. The html interface from the EZServe itself is what I’ve used for devices, areas and actions. I have no scenes set up for any of what I’m doing thus far as I have no active Insteon switches or keypads, etc.

The EZServe is very pokey at times as evidenced by slow screen change actions via its TCP/IP address – usually when a change is being made to conditions or actions. There seems to be problems when there are a bunch of X10 commands going on – as seen by the results on X10 lights – but its unclear on why. I didn’t have this with the HCS2 and TW523 doing the control actions.

-Bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob,

Inputs 3 & 4 in the default digital mode require a pullup resister to +5 V (10K between Input and +5V works well, as you have done). To change the state of Inputs 3 or 4 when in digital mode, connect Input to GND through a dry contact switch, just like Inputs 1 & 2.

When Inputs 3 & 4 are configured for Analog operation, the analog Input voltage should swing from 0 volts to +5 volts with no pullup resister.

Not specific to EZSrve, Smarthome documents that devices with BoosterLinc can interfere with Insteon powerline traffic and BoosterLinc should be turned off.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to know about the BoosterLincs…I didn’t remember that from my days at Smarthome 😉

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Justin,

I was referring to non-Smarthome X10 devices containing BoosterLinc technology. From the KeypadLinc User Guide (all the User Guides contain this warning) ….

“If you have installed older Smarthome Plug-In BoosterLinc™ X10 Signal Boosters or certain other BoosterLinc-enabled products, the older BoosterLinc technology may interfere with INSTEON communications.”

All the newer Smarthome actual BoosterLinc devices do not interfere with Insteon. It comes up from time to time on the Smarthome forum when a user is moving from an X10 installation to an Insteon installation. Seems rather common for some of the X10 devices (not necessarily from Smarthome) with BoosterLinc circuitry interfering with Insteon.

Lee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ohh yes, I do remember that now…prior to version V3.0…

http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=About_INSTEON_and_X10

Good memory Lee!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen reports of even the newer Insteon aware BoosterLinc giving some users problems. That went away when unplugged.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.