Need additional documentation on INSTEON commands 2008-07-20T04:16:26+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Need additional documentation on INSTEON commands

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #40016 |

I have the EZIOxx Advanced.pdf, but it doesn’t explain what I’m seeing from my EZIO2X4. Can someone please help me? The short version is that my command #1 byte doesn’t match the 0x27 that the documentation says to expect for a status change message. I have a sticker on my EZIO2X4 that says, “v1.1”, and the documentation says it is for “firmware 2.0”, so maybe my confusion is entirely related to bad documentation? I just can’t tell.

I have linked input port #1 to an INSTEON PLM, and when I force a change in the input port, I see commands such as the following:

02 50 08 9B 03 00 00 01 CB 11 00 0D
    02 50 08 9B 03 AA AA AA 41 11 01 0D
    02 50 08 9B 03 00 00 01 C7 13 00 0D
    02 50 08 9B 03 AA AA AA 41 13 01 0D

The 02 50 simply indicates a standard message, and the 08 9B 03 is the device ID of my EZIO2X4. Great so far.

The documentation for the status change message says that the low byte of the “to address” is used to indicate whether this is for an output port or input port. The first & third messages above would seem to fit that pattern with 00 00 01, but I have no idea what the “AA AA AA” means in the 2nd & 4th messages.

Additionally, the documentation for the status change also says the command 1 byte will be 0x27, which it is not. My cmd1 bytes are either 11 or 13. The command 2 byte should have the status, which seems right.

Does anyone know when firmware 2.0 came out? I just bought this unit directly from SimpleHomeNet back in May, so I didn’t expect to be behind so quickly if that is the cause

Anonymous

As I indicated in your other post, the 1.1 sticker is not the EZIO2X4 firmware level. See the other post for how to obtain the firmware level.

What you are seeing is a Group Broadcast message (flag byte CB) followed by a Group Cleanup Direct message (flag byte 41). The first two messages are for an Insteon ON command (cmd 1 11) and the second two messages are for an Insteon OFF command (cmd 1 13). These messages are generated because of the link you established.

For an Input to generate a Status Change message, you must set the Broadcast Status Chg option in the Configuration Register of the EZIO2X4 using the Simplehomenet Utility I mentioned in your other post. Secondly, you must not have a link for the Input in question. Even with the Broadcast Status Chg option in effect, establishing a link for the specific input suppresses the Status Change message for that input.

Anonymous

That helps. Thank you so much.

Let me ask your (& others’) opinion on whether I should be using the broadcast status change, or the linked option. I’m trying to communicate the status of the input to a HomeVision controller, hooked to the PowerLinc Modem (PLM) via a serial cable.

The HomeVision controller doesn’t care whether it gets a “status change” message or an “on” message, since it just needs to know something happened in order to perform whatever actions it will control. I chose to explicitly link to the PLM, since that seemed more flexible in case I later wanted to have some other module receive receive an actual “on” message. I did this because it’s my understanding that as soon as one module is linked, it’s not possible to send the general broadcast message.

I also assumed that my reliability would be higher by explicitly linking the PLM to the EZIO2X4. It seems that a general broadcast message could be missed and won’t be re-transmitted, while the directly linked message would require some acknowledgment.

So it seemed for me that a directly linked message would be more flexible (to add additional modules in the future) and more reliable. Do I understand that correctly, and do you think I made the right choice in linking the EZIO2X4 to my HomeVision controller via the PLM?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

You are right on all points. The Status Change message is sent in the blind to no specific device address so no ACK or retry. A Group Cleanup Direct command is sent to each device that has been linked to the Input, with ACK and message retry. With a good powerline network, Status Change should be reliable, but I would recommend using a link and the Group commands that go with it if you have that option.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.