Lost net config and can’t re-connect 2007-08-18T21:02:03+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Lost net config and can’t re-connect

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    #39765 |

I was cruising along, testing out all the features of the EZServe and taking copious notes, when I decided to try and give it a hard-coded IP address. See, it wasn’t taking the NTP server, so I figured maybe it wasn’t getting the right router information, even though the addresses given in the config panel were pretty darned close to perfect (it had the right router and netmask, but gave 192.168.1.150 instead of .50 as my IP address) (this was with DHCP enabled).

I turned off DHCP, corrected .150 to .50, and rebooted. Can’t connect to it again on any address — .150, .50, etc. It doesn’t respond to broadcast ping (192.168.1.255), it doesn’t appear in the ARP table, I don’t see any traffic from it on tcpdump, and my DHCP server is not seeing any DHCP requests from it.

Worst of all, the reset button seems to have no effect. I push it in, count to 4, and release — and the lights don’t even flicker. Same thing if I hold it to 10+ seconds. So it’s definitely not resetting to factory-fresh values, nor is it rebooting.

I’ve obviously removed power a few times, and I’ve even tried holding reset while I plug the PLM back into the unit, just in case that’s how it’s supposed to work. No dice.

Any ideas how I can get it reset? I’ve downloaded Scapy (a nifty Python utility that lets you fine-craft packets) but haven’t had time to try and send anything its way. (I’m wondering if a properly-crafted ping or arp packet sent to its ethernet address will get it to return something containing its IP address).

For just about any other product, I’d’ve said that I turned it into a doorstop, but this is so light that it’s not even good in that role. 🙂

Thanks!

Anonymous

Follow-up:

I’ve now tried sending all manner of packets at the thing. ICMP to 255.255.255.255 (with the EZServe mac address as the ethernet destination address), ARP requests, more generalized pings, etc.

I’ve also tried the multicast UDP method (224.0.7.107 port 2157), but wasn’t positive how to add the GUID as the payload. Was that the literal string ‘{0xd769f6ae,0x… or a “{” followed by byte values d7 69 f6 ae followed by “,”, or “{” followed by ae f6 69 d7 (endian issues), or just raw bytes d7 69 f6 ae (or reversed for each block based on endian issues), or what?

Obviously, none of those packets netted me a response, either. I’m really at wits end here — is there any way to force a reset? I’m ready and willing to open the box up and short a couple pins together if that’s what it’ll take…

Anonymous

I don’t have the module you have, but I do use the PLM with the EZIO8SA and EZX10RF. How long did you hold the set button as you pluged it in. The PLM reset requires at least a 10 second hold for a factory reset on the PLM.

Anonymous

The PLM reset requires at least a 10 second hold for a factory reset on the PLM.

I’m resetting the EZBridge, and the docs there say that holding reset for 2-7 seconds will reset the network config and reboot the bridge, and that holding it for more than 7 seconds will reset everything (all settings, not just network) and reboot. Neither works. Resetting the PLM in this case should have no bearing on the Bridge/Server unit…

Anonymous

Hello dschuetz

It look like you and I have the same problem after I gave it a hard-coded IP address the EZbridge is no loger on the network. I’ve reset per the the EZBridge docs by holding reset for 2-7 seconds (even tried 2 minutes). Look like we both have a door stop. Let me know if you are able to resolve your issue.

Anonymous

Hi,

Well, I guess we’re all in the same boat – while checking the network settings out, I also set a static IP (didn’t have to – I usually allow DHCP to set things up) in hopes there was a setting for a NTP time server as the EZServer doesn’t seem to get it’s time set via network…

Now, there is nothing when powered on. No DHCP requests, no other apparent network activity either. Like you, I’ve also tried the several stages of resetting the EZServe with short and long reset button holds on powerup. Same results as everyone else too – no luck in recovering.

In case it helps in debugging – I do see the yellow network light go on about 2 seconds after power-up, then go off and on once (not blinking) during what I’m guessing is bootup. The green LED never blinks. The module is also not discoverable via the EZBridge Utility.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what Simplehomenet says can be done…

-Russ

Anonymous

The module is also not discoverable via the EZBridge Utility.

Okay, that’s the UDP multicast method that’s described in the docs. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t setting up the packets properly, so knowing that the official utility won’t discover it eliminates that as a possibility. Damn.

Anonymous

Hello Russ and Dschuetz

Is there a way we can use the MAC address to telnet to the EZbridge to reset the IP address ?

Anonymous

Is there a way we can use the MAC address to telnet to the EZbridge to reset the IP address ?

I don’t know. For some networked devices, a way to remotely set an IP address was to force an arp entry on your box (something like “arp -s {desired IP address} {target’s MAC addr}”) and then ping it. The ping would be sent directly to the device, which’d see that, and automatically reset its IP address to that of the ping.

I tried that, and similar other approaches, with the EZServe, with no luck. I’ll bring my work laptop home tonight and try hitting it directly, with a crossover cable, to avoid any network switch-induced issues, but I’m not too confident of success…

** Additional Note **

I’ve found a writeup for some NetSilicon hardware, that says the “default” IP for that particular unit was 192.168.1.24. I’m pretty sure I’d’ve scanned that IP, but it’s possible I missed it (especially since I’ve got a box at 1.26, so I might have confused the two). Anyway, I’m not even sure if it’s the same hardware, but it might be worth a shot trying to connect to that IP address. (be sure your host machine is on the same hub as the bridge and set to something else in the 192.168.1.0 subnet). Somehow, I don’t think this’ll help, but I figured I’d throw it out there in case someone could check during the day.

Anonymous

Hopefully, we’ll hear something from Simplehomenet today, but I’ve also been poking around trying to recover (or at least see if the EZServe is still alive).

Looking at the PLM serial interface, I’ve not seen any activity either with a scope on the Tx/Rx pins, or with a PC and terminal program.

I also tried the arp -s trick, also with no success.

Anonymous

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply – I have been burning the midnight oil to get this resolved. Beta testers should have received an email, please respond and let me know how you would like to proceed to resolve the issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.