Linked SwitchLincs Not Behaving 2008-12-10T22:10:11+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Linked SwitchLincs Not Behaving

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    #40113 |

OK – so this is probably another “dumb” question – but I’m puzzled.

I have tow SwitchLinc V2 600W switches linked to each other – Family A and Family B.

When I work the paddles on the wall – the LED’s on the units move in sync – which is what I expect.

However – when I turn one on from the EZServe (let’s say A) – then I get:

A – LED in ON position
    B – LED in OFF position

Am I missing something here? I would expect that if I turn either switch on/off from the EZServe that they wold BOTH be in the same position at the actual switches.

Didn’t I set the switches up correctly if they are respnding to the paddle presses the way I expect?

Family A shows itself as a Controller and Responder for Family B and a Responder for the EZServer.

Family B shows itself as a Controller and Responder for Family A and a Responder for the EZServe.

Can someone kick me in the right direction – I’m having this same problem with two additional “linked” switches.

Thanks!

Chris

Anonymous

Sure can. The cross linking is correct for A and B to stay in sync with each other when A or B is the Controller. That is, when either switch paddle is pressed, a command is sent to the other because the switch where the paddle press occurs has a Controller of link to the other switch. Unfortunately, when any other controller (including but not limited to EZSrve) turns on A or B, A or B switch does not propagate the command on to the other because at that point A or B is a responder, not a controller.

What you need is to define a Scene/Group with EZSrve as the Controller and switch A & B as responders. You send a Group On or Off to the Scene name and both A & B will receive the necessary commands to turn On or Off. There is a rumor that in the new Insteon 2 architecture there is a new command that can be sent to A for example telling A to react as though its paddle had been pressed, In this case A would turn On or Off and send a command on to B, just as though A’s paddle had been pressed. Don’t know how many switches in the field have that command support, if any, and EZSrve does not support this I2 function. Would be the same if you added switch C to the mix. If you linked switch C as a controller and A as a responder, only A would turn on when turning on C. Again, because A is a responder at that point, it would not send commands to B. A has to be a controller (paddle press at A) for it to pass commands to B and vice versa.

Anonymous

grif,

I must be a putz – I cannot get this working.

I defined the “Scene” – controller is EZServe, 2 responders Family A & Family B.

Then I create the Area “House”. Then I added the scene “Family Room” to the “House” area.

SO – when I go to device view/control – I select house, and I can see the Family Room scene. But when I click on/off – absolutely NOTHING happens.

When I added the responders to the scene – did I need to pick any special values or something in the LD1-3 fields?

Thanks for the help (and the patience).

Chris

Anonymous

Happy to help. You were exactly right in defining the Area and assigning the Scene to the Area. There is always a learning curve associated with Insteon hardware. There is a document on the Wiki under EZSrve that has screen captures and detail on defining a Scene with EZSrve as a Controller. The information in LD1-LD3 is important as it describes what the Responder should do when it receives a command from the Controller (EZSrve in this case). LD1 is the Bright level, how bright should the load be turned on. You should start out at 100%. LD2 is the Ramp rate. How fast should the device ramp up to reach the Bright level or down until Off. You should start out at 0.1 seconds. LD3 is the output unit number. This should be 00 for a SwitchLinc. Since this field defaults to 00 it is probably correct. The LD1-LD3 values can be different for each Responder defined. This permits one Responder to turn On at 50% Bright, another Responder to turn On at 100% Bright.

If these values are correct, what Unit number did you assign to the Controller EZSrve for the Scene? Needs to be greater than 01 as EZSrve reserves 01 for its own use.

The SimpleHomeNet Utility Suite has an option to trace the commands being sent and received by EZSrve. Invoke the SHN Utility, Connect to EZBridge/EZSrve using the IP address assigned to EZSrve. Under the EZSrve/EZBridge / Control tabs, the Data Received window displays the XML representing the commands sent from and received by EZSrve. You can post that information back and I can interpret. There is also a check box in the lower right corner of the Control tab screen, Enable Logging, which causes a file to be written with the same XML command information. The file is log.txt and resides in the SHN Utility Suite install directory. It might be easier to copy/paste that file content but copy only the entries time stamped around the time when the On or Off is directed to the Scene name.

Anonymous

OK grif – almost there!

Read the Wiki – watched the videos, and … started from scratch.

Here’s what I did:

1) Reset the EZServe to the factory default settings.
    2) Added all the devices by address (much faster this time).
    3) Created an area called IndividualDevices and added all 8 switches to the area.
    4) Switched to Device View/Control and confirmed that all 8 devices are working correctly in the IndividualDevices area. (1 click for on, 1 click for off, always has status correct regardless of how the light was powered on, etc, etc).
    5) Created a scene called AllLightsOn. For the scene, I added each of the 8 switches with the parameters set to 100%, .1 sec, 00.
    6) Created an areas called Scenes and placed the AllLightsOn scene into that area.
    7) Go to Device View/Control – select Scenes from drop down.
    8) Click AllLightsOn – then click ON.

PROBLEM ONE: 7/8 lights come on (all except the Guest Room). All lights go off when I select AllLights and then select OFF.

All of my other scenes function perfectly now – I have a scene for each room that controls all the lights in that room. Click, on – they go on. Click off – they go off. But …

PROBLEM TWO: The status for the scene in the Device View/Control area does not seem to recognize when the scene is ON ( I get STATUS N/A instead). But it does recognize when the scene is OFF (Status shows as OFF).

I made sure to start numbering the EZServe unit beginning at #20 (20-24 currently) so as not to have a problem with the default of 01, etc.

I also went back and verified that the links for each device are now correct. Each switch is linked as a responder to the EZServe at the default 01, and at the unit number for whatever Scenes I placed it in. If it is a 3-way switch, it is also linked as a responder/controller of the switch it is associated with.

So – any last words of advice for me as I head into the weekend playing around with this stuff?

Why would the one switch not respond to the scene (even though it is set up identical to the other devices in the scene) – and yet it responds individually? Could there be some residual memory on the SwitchLinc device – should I sync it to the EZServe so that it only has the links defined as I have currently established them?

And what about the status indicator for the scenes? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance. I’m already light years beyond where I was yesterday.

Chris

Anonymous

The Status N/A when turning On a Scene is also what happens on my system. For an individual device the display shows the percentage of ON. With a Scene likely representing more than one device, although not a absolute requirement, it would not be possible to display the percentage of ON for each of the 8 different devices in one of your cases, for example. For OFF, all the devices are OFF so that works. Status N/A is representing something other than all OFF. Perhaps another approach could have been to display N/A for the percentage but show on when the last click was on. Something you could suggest under the new features Topic.

When you select an individual device and click ON/OFF, an Insteon Direct command is sent to the selected device. A Direct command does not utilize a Responder link record in the individual device. For a Scene ON/OFF a Group command sequence is issued which requires a Responder link in each of the Responder devices to tell each device how Bright, and how fast (Ramp rate) to get there. Sounds like something is wrong with the Responder link in the 8th device. It could have a Bright level so low as to look off when it is actually on very low. It could have a ramp rate so long that it looks like it did not turn on when actually it is taking several minutes to turn on. There could be other problems as well.

I would like to use the SImpleHomeNet Utility Suite as a independent tool to view the Responder link records in the 8th device. DId you get that program working? If so I will walk you through the process of displaying link records. If not then use EZSrve under Device Management and do a SYNCH EZSERVE for the device that does not respond to the Group. This will read the device link database and rebuild the link information in EZSrve. Look at the Responder link and see what the various values are.

You are making good progress. Almost there.

EDIT: when looking at the link information after the SYNCH EZSERVE, also look for a duplicate entry. You may have an old link entry in that device with LD1-3 values that do not match the last Responder link you created.

Anonymous

grif – you’re the best.

While I was waiting for your response – I went through all of the individual devices and synced them – that resolved the control issues. So now I am in business !! Thank you!

That Status N/A is a bit tedious. I would prefer ON (or ACTIVE) based on whether the devices in the scene match the scene settings (which means that they were LIKELY turned on by the scene, but match its settings regardless of how they got that way), OFF if none of the devices in the scene are on, and N/A for any other situation.

I am going to play with the utility this weekend to see if I can get it going. Do you know of any issues using the utility with Vista Ultimate x64 – that’s the OS I’m on and I wonder if it has anything to do with these problems?

Anyway – next up is playing with timers and vacation settings. I hope that the vacation function offers some sort of “randomizer” to make the house look “lived in” while we are not around – that was the whole purpose behind the purchase of the system! 🙂 If not, then’ll I’ll have to code it myself (thankfully I’m a developer).

BTW – do you know of anywhere to get the pieces cheaper than smarthome (which is the only place I can seem to locate them)? I’d like to buy in bulk – but at $45 a switch – that gets out of hand VERY quickly.

Thanks again for the help!

If I don’t hear from you – have a great weekend.

Chris

Anonymous

Good to hear you found the resolution. Great work. I have seen comments on the Smarthome forum that suggest talking with someone in sales with authority might result in a discount for a bulk purchase but have never seen a comment from someone who actually was successful. There are some sales going on at Smarthome now. Maybe free shipping on orders over a certain amount. These sales go on at different times during the year and with different devices. Generally don’t last too long so you have to keep an eye on the web site. I would recommend buying from the manufacturer. Just as I would recommend buying SimpleHomeNet products from SHN. Have heard of cases where someone bought a SHN product through Smarthome and it was not the most current firmware level.

I don’t disagree that EZSrve could display something different for Scene status when it turns on a Scene. Not sure about querying every device in a Scene to see if they currently match the responder link information in EZSrve. That could take a lot Insteon traffic.

Have no experience running the Utility on Vista in 64 bit mode. Still running XP. Is there a 32 bit compatibility mode under Vista? Let me know any details about the problem are experiencing when you get to it this weekend. I have the Utility source downloaded and under a VB 2008 Express project. Not the VB development package the Utility was written under but I can build and run a modified executable. This is a holiday shopping weekend so I may be slow in responding to a post but I will read it eventually.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.