Impressions after a couple days use. 2008-04-01T03:51:00+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Impressions after a couple days use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #39915 |

I’ve got a few issues I hope you can help me overcome, and some other gripes I’m not sure you can…

– Can I set the default ramp/brightness level of individual devices or scenes from the ezserve?

– Can I create and assign scenes to be controlled from a switch, not the ezserve? I’d like to have a scene where some lights go on, and others turn off, I can’t seem to do this in a “group”.

– When I try to add a device by insteon id I don’t get an error message, but no device gets added. I can successfully add the same device with the push-button method, however. Is the id-entry method working? I can imagine that if I had some relatively inaccessible remotelincs (which I will soon), it’d be much simpler to just enter the id.

– When I try to change a group that a device is in I don’t get an error mesage, but no change occurs. Well, I just tried this again — this time it’s asking me to push the set button on the device again even though the device is selected on the device list. That doesn’t seem right.

– It seems to take a bit for the ezserve to respond to new page requests. Not too long — 2-4 seconds in most cases. But, compound this with every time I change a page or hit a button, it can get a little annoying. Not sure if there’s anything you can do about that one.

– The ezserve is also constantly reloading something in the browser. I’m not sure what it’s doing since I still have to manually refresh to get the current status of an area.

That’s probably enough for now.. 🙂 I just wanted to see if anyone can help direct my muddling. I’ll keep playing with it.

Thanks much!

Anonymous

From a pure Insteon point of view, a Scene/Group initiated from a button or paddle press will be under control of a single command so you cannot DIM some devices in the Scene/Group and BRIGHTEN others in the same Scene/Group. You can set a low “Brightness” level in a particular device when you set up the Scene/Group link for the device. Then when you do a Scene/Group ON from the button/paddle controlling the Scene/Group, the device will go to that low brightness level, even from a full on. Has the appearance of a DIM but it is really an ON to the lower brightness level. I just tried that with a Lamplinc so I can confirm from actual experience that it works. One button on a Keypadlinc turned the lamp full ON, another button with the lower brightness level Scene/Group link turned the lamp ON to the lower level brightness from a full ON.

Perhaps a button/paddle press could run an EZServ macro which dims devices in a “Dim Device Scene/Group” and brightens devices in a “Brighten Device Scene/Group”. I’ve been using Insteon in the house for nearly two years but only just started using my EZServ so I’m reluctant to respond to questions from the EZServ view point. You should update your post with the level of the image running in your EZServ.

Anonymous

All right, I think I can tackle each of these.

– Can I set the default ramp/brightness level of individual devices or scenes from the ezserve?

First, from the HTML, not in the current version. We are working on 1.50, where you will be able to set the ramp level for a scene for a given device. We will have that available within 2 weeks or so (we are hoping sooner).

– Can I create and assign scenes to be controlled from a switch, not the ezserve? I’d like to have a scene where some lights go on, and others turn off, I can’t seem to do this in a “group”.

See the reference to 1.50 above, you can today, but it is somewhat difficult. With the new release, you will be able to set a number of controllers, responders, the action, and the ramp rate.

– When I try to add a device by insteon id I don’t get an error message, but no device gets added. I can successfully add the same device with the push-button method, however. Is the id-entry method working? I can imagine that if I had some relatively inaccessible remotelincs (which I will soon), it’d be much simpler to just enter the id.

The ID-Entry has been working – we will try to duplicate the bug. We will get an answer ASAP.

– When I try to change a group that a device is in I don’t get an error mesage, but no change occurs. Well, I just tried this again — this time it’s asking me to push the set button on the device again even though the device is selected on the device list. That doesn’t seem right.

No, it doesn’t seem right. We will also look into this. It would help if you can email me your .xml files, email is paul at simplehomenet.com

– It seems to take a bit for the ezserve to respond to new page requests. Not too long — 2-4 seconds in most cases. But, compound this with every time I change a page or hit a button, it can get a little annoying. Not sure if there’s anything you can do about that one.

2-4 seconds for a local seems a bit long. I have a refresh time of about 1 second or so – what is your browser / OS? I don’t want to over promise, but I can say we are working on a non-specific OS solution that will remove the latencies you are seeing. I do not have a specific time frame, but we are talking months. In the meantime, if you are technically savy, you can directly edit the XML files and upload them, saving yourself considerable time if you have a large configuration. I will be more than happy to walk you through that.

– The ezserve is also constantly reloading something in the browser. I’m not sure what it’s doing since I still have to manually refresh to get the current status of an area.

The EZSrve will update the screens based on it’s actions. The manual polling is a result of a “bug” in the PLM from Smartlabs. We are working with them to resolve the issue. The bug is that the monitoring of the Insteon traffic is not very reliable for devices that are not sending too or from the EZSrve PLM. So, it is constantly refreshing in case it executes an action such as a timer, but you have to poll to be sure of a status (ex. somebody manually turns on a light).

Let me know how else we can help – we want the EZSrve to work well, easy, and do everything you need + a little more 🙂

Anonymous

Paul, first of all thanks for the detailed response. I’ve gotta say that your involvement on the forums has kept me around longer than I ordinarily would have. I’ve emailed you my xml files. That being said…

Quote:

The ID-Entry has been working – we will try to duplicate the bug. We will get an answer ASAP.

I just tried it again with a device I hadn’t yet added through the tap method, only this time I had the Simplehomenet Utility Suite monitoring traffic. The only thing that showed up was this:

from ID:05.13.7C flags:2B cmd1:9 cmd2:1

The might be interesting…

I have a refresh time of about 1 second or so – what is your browser / OS? I don’t want to over promise, but I can say we are working on a non-specific OS solution that will remove the latencies you are seeing. I do not have a specific time frame, but we are talking months. In the meantime, if you are technically savy, you can directly edit the XML files and upload them, saving yourself considerable time if you have a large configuration. I will be more than happy to walk you through that.

I’m using Windows XP and Firefox 2.0. It’s just an old P4 3Ghz. I’ve got the EZServe hooked up to the same Gigabit swith as my computer, so it shouldn’t even have to go through the router.
    I’m a programmer in a past life, so that usually means I can pull out just enough rope for a hangin’, but if life slows down a bit I’ll give it a whirl.

One last nit — I know the html interface is designed to be Fat Finger Friendly, and I’ll make use of that on my pda, but it’d be nice to have a slider of some sort to change the brightness. If I want to go from Off to 60%, it takes 3 taps with a 4sec refresh between — 12sec just to get one light.

Thanks for the help so far!

Anonymous

I sometimes run HouseLinc Desktop and SHN Utility Suite together (something not recommended by HouseLinc). It has been my experience that the SHN Utility shows for Insteon traffic it receives that is not the result of a command issued by SHN Utility Suite or not the anticipated Insteon message resulting from a command issued by SHN. For example, if during the “Display” of the link database, a command is directed to the same device, that Insteon message will be flagged with because it was not in response to the commands retrieving the link database. Only means the SHN Utility ignored the specific message, not that there is anything wrong with the message itself. HouseLinc Desktop has a good Insteon traffic logger but it has to be purchased. I often use HouseLinc to watch Insteon traffic generated by the SHN Utility Suite and by button/paddle activity on the Insteon devices themselves. The Manage Device Links tab in SHN Utility Suite is a good place to view links in a specific Insteon device link data base, even for devices not from Simplehomenet.

Anonymous

Quote:
    I just tried it again with a device I hadn’t yet added through the tap method, only this time I had the Simplehomenet Utility Suite monitoring traffic. The only thing that showed up was this:

from ID:05.13.7C flags:2B cmd1:9 cmd2:1

The might be interesting…

As grif091 stated, ignored means that the utility didn’t send a message that required that traffic, so, the EZSrve did indeed send a message it appears, just no response from the module.
    I review the XML – I am thinking this may be a noise / comm issue… if we cannot communicate to the device we don’t add it. I am looking into why there is no error displayed (should be), but have you tried the traditional method of adding the device first – JUST to see if it works? If the device is portable, can you try moving it closer to the EZSrve, or move the EZSrve closer to it?

I’m using Windows XP and Firefox 2.0. It’s just an old P4 3Ghz. I’ve got the EZServe hooked up to the same Gigabit swith as my computer, so it shouldn’t even have to go through the router.
    I’m a programmer in a past life, so that usually means I can pull out just enough rope for a hangin’, but if life slows down a bit I’ll give it a whirl.

A P4 3GHz is ample. Have you tried either Firefox 3.0 (much lower memory usage than Firefox 2.0) or IE to see if the refresh time is the same?

One last nit — I know the html interface is designed to be Fat Finger Friendly, and I’ll make use of that on my pda, but it’d be nice to have a slider of some sort to change the brightness. If I want to go from Off to 60%, it takes 3 taps with a 4sec refresh between — 12sec just to get one light.

Yeah – I hear you. Let us work up a couple ideas, throw them at the community, and then we will implement. If you want 40%, it shouldn’t take too many clicks.

-Paul

Anonymous

Sorry it’s taken a while for me to get back to the forum. We’re redoing out kitchen, and countertops finally got installed; meaning I spent all weekend hooking up appliances, etc.

Nevertheless,

I review the XML – I am thinking this may be a noise / comm issue… if we cannot communicate to the device we don’t add it. I am looking into why there is no error displayed (should be), but have you tried the traditional method of adding the device first – JUST to see if it works? If the device is portable, can you try moving it closer to the EZSrve, or move the EZSrve closer to it?

I don’t think it’s a comm issue. I tried to add 3 different devices (keypadlincs or togglelincs) by address — none of them worked, none gave an error. I was able to add all 3 fine using the tap method. Communication to all of them, on’s and off’s, bright’s and dim’s go through without any problem. The rest of my devices I just added through the tap method.

Trying to test further, I tried to delete some of the lights I had added. One light I selected delete — it brought up the progress bar like it was doing something, but the device is still on the list. I tried to delete several devices, but none of them successfully got removed.

A P4 3GHz is ample. Have you tried either Firefox 3.0 (much lower memory usage than Firefox 2.0) or IE to see if the refresh time is the same?

I tried it in IE, but I didn’t notice any appreciable change in response. Isn’t Firefox 3.0 still in Beta? I’m trying to cut down on my free testing 🙂 .

Thanks.

Anonymous

@dgreenb wrote:

I don’t think it’s a comm issue. I tried to add 3 different devices (keypadlincs or togglelincs) by address — none of them worked, none gave an error. I was able to add all 3 fine using the tap method. Communication to all of them, on’s and off’s, bright’s and dim’s go through without any problem. The rest of my devices I just added through the tap method.

I tried it in IE, but I didn’t notice any appreciable change in response. Isn’t Firefox 3.0 still in Beta? I’m trying to cut down on my free testing 🙂 .

Thanks.

Understood – we will try some things to see if we cannot duplicate the problem – can you tell me if the devices are all newer, or are they older I1 devices (basically, did you buy them recently (past 4-6 mos) or are they a couple years old)?

Yeah – Firefox 3.0 is still in beta, pretty stable, but still beta.

Anonymous

can you tell me if the devices are all newer, or are they older I1 devices (basically, did you buy them recently (past 4-6 mos) or are they a couple years old)?

They are all purchased within the last couple months, but one of the keypadlincs in the old refurb one smarthome is selling. It has an updated firmware (1.65) however.

Anonymous

Trying to test further, I tried to delete some of the lights I had added. One light I selected delete — it brought up the progress bar like it was doing something, but the device is still on the list. I tried to delete several devices, but none of them successfully got removed.

Whoops… I was able to delete something today by fully reading the pop-up windows — I wasn’t hitting the button on the to-be-deleted device. So that works. Although, I’m not sure why I should have to hit the button to delete something…

I just tried lying to the program and said the device wasn’t connected. That deleted fine without having to leave my chair. Is the button press some kind of error check?

Anonymous

The popup that appears asks if the device is connected to the network. If you answer yes – we attempt to remove the link from the device as well – if you answer no, we only remove it from the EZSrve. The reason we present the choice is so you can delete a device if it is no longer connected to the network.

So, for some reason you were unable to delete the devices when you answered yes – either they were not on the network, or we were not able to delete the link.

Anonymous

Well, the device was on the network and was able to be controlled fine. It just wouldn’t let me delete it. Why would it not be able to delete the link? Are there any error logs I can look at on the EZServe itself? Why does any button need to be pressed in order to delete those links? I’d think that it has the address of the device already.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.