I/O Linc and Ezserve interoperability 2008-11-21T02:56:39+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve I/O Linc and Ezserve interoperability

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #40105 |

Hello,

Has anyone used the input contacts feature of the I/O Linc to send switch closure events to an Ezserve?

I want to replace my X10 PowerFlash interface with an I/O Linc. The PowerFlash is set to control an X10 address, but even if there is no unit at the X10 address, you can catch the switch closure events with a cm11a connected to a computer.

Because insteon devices need to link to another device to get addresses set, it’s not clear to me if I will be able to link the I/O Linc to the Ezserve, as the I/O Linc is expecting to link to light switch, etc, not a controller. And I don’t see I/O Linc in the list of devices the Ezserve knows about.

So has anyone tried this or have any insight into how or if this will work?

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous

The Smarthome I/O Linc is not available until the end of December so I doubt you will find many folks who have used it. Someone participating in the Smarthome beta test program I think has to sign a NDA to participate. That is what I think as opposed to what I know for sure as I am not a beta participant. To your question, EZSrve functions as a Controller and a Responder. You can certainly link a controller to EZSrve acting as a responder. I have done that with several of my Insteon controller devices. It can be defined as Other if the specific device type does not appear in the device type pulldown. Linking EZSrve as a Responder permits an EZSrve Macro to be triggered from an Input state change at the controller, turning on/off an individual device or Group (Scene) of devices. As the general availability date approaches for the I/O LInc details about its actual operation and capability will begin to surface on the Smarthome forum. It happened that way with the Smarthome Motion Sensor. I checked the Smarthome web site and the only doc I could find is the Quick Start Guide. There is a place holder on their WIki for the I/O Linc User Guide but it has no technical detail.

EDIT: There is one caveat. The Smarthome Motion Sensor did not implement Peek and Poke commands needed for EZSrve to create a Scene. If the same is true for the I/O Linc EZSrve will not be able to create links to the I/O Linc.

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll have to wait for someone to be a guinea pig once it comes out, unless more technical info becomes available.

Does the peek/poke issue apply only for controlling the output of the device, or do you need it for the Ezsrve to act as a responder as well?

Anonymous

If the Smarthome I/O Linc does not implement Peek and Poke commands EZSrve will not be able to write link records (create Scenes) in it using today’s function. You should still be able to establish the link between the I/O Linc and EZsrve using the Set button on the I/O Linc. With that link established the I/O Linc hardware will send Insteon Group commands to EZSrve which can then trigger a Macro(s).

This is all an assumption about how the I/O Linc will work, based on how other Smarthome 120V plugin devices work today. As you say, we will have to wait until someone gets one to see how it actually works.

Anonymous

Will the I/O Linc be added to the Device Management menu?

I got mine added and functioning, but added it as type OTHER.
    thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.