How to link a single Insteon module to an input on the EZIO8 2007-08-02T00:27:32+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx How to link a single Insteon module to an input on the EZIO8

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #39749 |

The documentation is very confusing and the manual linking process described in the quick-start guide does not seem to work. I just want to have the EZIO8SA send an insteon on/off command in response to input 1 on/off. Is there a simple example of the link that can be added to the device using the EZIOxx utility?

Anonymous

I had linked input 1 of my EZIO8SA to a lamp module at one time. I just followed the directions in the quick start guide:
    A) Press and hold the set-button on the EZIO8SA PLM for
    about 10 seconds, then release it. Its LED will turn off indicating
    that it is ready to accept a number of taps corresponding
    to the input number desired to be linked. Tap the setbutton
    1 time for input number one. Now press and
    hold the set-button again for about 4 seconds at which point
    the LED will start flashing rapidly indicating the EZIO8SA
    is listening for responders to link to.
    B) On the Insteon responder device to be linked
    (a lamp module for me), press and hold
    its set-button until its LED flashes momentarily (about 3
    seconds.) Please follow the specific directions for the device
    being linked as linking directions vary among the various
    Insteon devices. Once linked, the LED on the
    EZIO8SA PLM will stop flashing and glow steadily.
    C) The EZIO8SA now acts as an Insteon sender to control
    other Insteon devices in response to transitions on its inputs.

If you have a lamp plugged into the lamp module, the lamp will blink when the 2 modules are linked together.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous

This is the message we have internalized and are frantically trying to address as it is the biggest issue with Insteon: “IT’S THE LINKING, STUPID”

We hope to bring you very soon the ability to cross link devices in an effortless, effective way. Stay tuned.

Anonymous

Has anybody linked a dakota driveway detector to a relay output on an ezio?

Anonymous

The process of using the Simplehomenet Utility to create a link from an EZIO8SA Input to a responder is as follows:

1. Assign Group number 1 to Input 1. Under the Inputs Setting and Monitor tab, Insteon All_Link Group Commands Settings, select Input 1 in the Input field. Click on “Read”. When Ready is displayed in the lower right corner, set the Group field to 1 and click on “Write”. When Ready is displayed in the lower right corner, click on the yellow “Save Changes” button.
    2. Create a “Controller of” link record in the EZIO8SA. Under the Manage Device Links tab, enter the EZIO8SA Insteon address in the Device Insteon ID: field. In the Second Insteon ID: field, enter the Insteon address of the responder device to be turned ON/OFF by the EZIO8SA Input 1 transition. In the Device Link Data: enter 00 00 00. In the Group: field enter 1. Under Mode: select Controller. Click on “Create New Link Record”. Wait for Ready in lower right corner.
    3. Create a “Responder to” link record in the responder device. Under the Manage Device Links tab, enter the responder Insteon address in the Device Insteon ID: field. In the Second Insteon ID: field, enter the Insteon address of the EZIO8SA. In the Device Link Data: enter FF 1F 00. In the Group: field enter 1. Under Mode: select Responder. Click on “Create New Link Record”. Wait for Ready in the lower right corner.

I would suggest after writing the link records you use the Display Existing Link Records to display both link records just created to confirm their existence with the expected information.

There is one issue with this process. If you are using one the newer PLMs that supports the 2016 links (larger memory PLM), the SHN Utility will not write the link record in the EZIO8SA PLM in the correct location. This is a known problem that SHN is working on. The way to tell if you have a newer PLM is to create a link using the Set button technique described in the earlier post. Then use the SHN Utility to “Display Existing Link Records” in the EZIO8SA. If you can see the link record established by the Set button, the EZIO8SA PLM has the smaller memory and the SHN Utility will work correctly. If you do not see the link record created by the Set button, you cannot use the existing Utility to write link records in the EZIO8SA PLM. Then you must use the Set button technique to establish links. I’ve created many links using the Set button. If you have a kitchen digital cooking timer stuck to the refrigerator use it to time the Set button presses. About the only time I have had a problem with the Set button process is when I held the Set button too long or too short. The Set button hold time is not so critical that a timer is necessary but it does help prevent mistakes.

Anonymous

n1djs – Yes, I have linked Dakota Alert to an EZIOxx Output relay through an EZSnsRF, linked to an EZSrve which used a macro to turn on/off the EZIOxx output relay. I have linked the Dakota Alert through an EZSnsRF, directly linked to an EZIOxx Output relay. I have also connected a Dakota Alert WR-3000 receiver relay (triggered by one of two Dakota Alert driveway detectors) to an EZIO6I Input, linked to an EZIOxx Output relay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.