How to hook up inputs to Alarm System 2007-06-25T07:05:08+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx How to hook up inputs to Alarm System

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    #39728 |

Hi,

I want to hook up the EZIO to the motion detector input from my alarm system.

It seems the Ademco Vista Alarm has each input hooked to two terminals: out of one terminal through contact sensors in series, back through a 2K resistor and back into the other terminal.

I tried placing the input 1+ and input 1- to the two terminals, but this seems to make the alarm think the contacts are open. I don’t get it, since the circuit diagram for the EZIO says there is a 1.2K resistor in series with the opto sensor, then placing the 1.2K in parallel with the 2K resistor across the two terminals should not trip the input to the alarm.

Is there a detailed application note on how to hook alarm inputs into the EZIO?

Or has anyone done this that can tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
    Taber

Anonymous

I’ve just joined the club.

I’ve successfully attached my Ademco Vista Alarm to my EZIO8SA opto isolated inputs. Ademco has a 4204 Relay Module that can be configured to monitor different aspects from your alarm. I use the 4 inputs to monitor away/stay activation and door open/motion. You have to configure what each of the the 4 relays monitor from you alarm keypad. Then connect the output of the relays to your opto isolated inputs. I’ve connected them using the non-isolated method and they seem to work.

If anyone knows a method of activating the stay mode of a typical alarm with some type of contact closure please let me know.

Rolin

Anonymous

taberhsmith; What are you trying to do. Have the Alarm trigger the EZIOs inputs or have the EZIO triger the alarms motion sensor input?
    Almost sound like you are tying an input to an input.
    Anyway the 1.2K resistor is in series with the opto isolators input doide. The voltage drop across the diode and resistor makes the motion input look open to the alarm.
    More deatils on your exact needs maybe a help.

Anonymous

I reread your post and I believe your setup is.
    An alarm console with a motion sensor input.
    On the sensor end is a 2K resistor that I believe gets shorted out on a trigger. If it is in series as you suspect then I would say the sensor opens whan triggered. If the resistance of the wiring back to the console breaks or gets poor. The resistance gets higher than 2K or the loop goes open. That then triggers a open wiring trouble report.

Did you connect I1 and I2 across where the motion sensor ties to the console or in series where you removd one of the original wires to the console. Then connected the loos wire to I1 and I2 to the original terminal where the sensor was connected.

A few great places for more generic Automation things including Insteon and Alarms are here:
    http://www.cocoontech.com/
    http://www.accessha.com/forums/

Anonymous

As an FYI, that 2K resister out by the sensor is probably used for tamper protection. If someone cuts the line to the sensor or bridges the line to the sensor, it presents a resistance change that can be picked up by the alarm system and reported as a tamper. When my hardwired security system was originally configured, I had to define whether there was an “end of line” (EOL) resister installed in each of the circuits.

Anonymous

@rolinster wrote:

I’ve just joined the club.

I’ve successfully attached my Ademco Vista Alarm to my EZIO8SA opto isolated inputs. Ademco has a 4204 Relay Module that can be configured to monitor different aspects from your alarm. I use the 4 inputs to monitor away/stay activation and door open/motion. You have to configure what each of the the 4 relays monitor from you alarm keypad. Then connect the output of the relays to your opto isolated inputs. I’ve connected them using the non-isolated method and they seem to work.

If anyone knows a method of activating the stay mode of a typical alarm with some type of contact closure please let me know.

Rolin

Rolinster – I have the Ademco Vista 15-P and currently use the Ademco X10 transformer for basic alarm triggering (stay/away). Since it is X10, it is highly unreliable. If I purchased the EZIO6I, will I be able to easily hook it up to my system, or do you HAVE TO purchased the 4204 Relay module as well? Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

I also have the same alarm panel (Ademco Vista 15-P) and was able to connect the inputs to my EZIO6I easily.

I just connected them in parallel to the zones exactly where the sensors were connected. It appears as though my end of line resistors are connected in series with the sensor. Don’t know if that’s how it’s supposed to be. So my connection is:

Zone Terminals (I don't remember + or -, but you have to match those up)
    [***] [***]
    | | |
    | | |
    resistor | |
    | | | |
    sensor ezio | |
    | | | |
    | | sensor ezio
    | | | |

Wow that was fun to make. 🙂

It works independently of the alarm panel and so far I have the motion detectors and door sensors working.

I haven’t figured out how to use the analog inputs yet and one of my inputs doesn’t work at all. This is already my second unit and based on other reviews I’m concerned about how reliable these are.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.