Getting it working after a factory reset 2010-11-30T18:11:12+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Getting it working after a factory reset

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    #40287 |

Folks,
    I lost my password and felt the only way to recover it was to factory reset. After I did this I uploaded the latest firmware, and then uploaded the 4 XML files that I saved from my last backup. I restarted the EzServ. I updated the timezone, the lat. and long. and waited for the first event. Nothing. It doesn’t seem to be controlling anything.

What steps did I miss? Do I need to recreate all of the devices and scenes so they are saved properly?

Thanks,
    Scott

Anonymous

Try clicking on the SET TIMEZONE button after setting the information. Then unplug the EZSrve for 30 seconds. After a few minutes to allow for the EZSrve to reboot verify the time, date and zone are correct.

What image did you migrate from and to?

Which Actions are not triggering, Event based, Time based, None ?

Are the Actions viewable?

As a side note for anyone who loses a password, there is an XML command that can be issued through the SHN Utility that will reset the password. Select EZSrve/EZBridge | Control , enter XML command from API document in Data to Send pane and click on Send XML.

Anonymous

This is a good discussion. I didn’t realize there was an API for PW reset, but wouldn’t that mean the SHN would have to have the correct PW? I think what happened in my case was I changed it on the road from my laptop, then had some German beer. The SHN I run on the local network from a different computer (my workstation).

Answers to questions:

After I reset, I loaded 2.06.12 (strange that it shows as 02.06.10 on screen) The backup was taken with 2.06 (the last image that I could download from the support->downloads menu off the SimpleHomeNet Web site. I loaded the new one with the discovery tool. Then uploaded the XML files created on the 2.06 image to it by connecting to it and uploading the files. I restarted after that, and then again with the timezone set. It currently shows the correct local time (13:22) and Sunrise Time: 07 : 09 Sunset Time: 17 : 29 for Round Rock, TX (which is pretty dang close to what I see).

Timer based conditions are not working. I can control individual devices from the EZserv, but the timer based scenes are not working right. I also added a new Christmas scene (the reason to look for the PW) and it isn’t working either.

Are the actions viewable? Yes. They look normal.

And, is it a best practice to create an area named Scenes and add the Scene devices to it to control them. I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this until now.

Anonymous

OK.. I created a room with my scenes in it, and it appears that when I turn one ON, the status doesn’t change. I also don’t see the individual device status as affected either. So, somehow the scenes are not right. Should I re-save?

-Scott

Anonymous

And it looks like I cannot control the individual devices.. Strange. do I need to relink?

Anonymous

Go to Device Management, select EZServe and do a SYNCH DEVICE. It sounds like the PLM link records were deleted by the factory reset (normal) and need to be restored. This should restore Scenes as they need link records in the EZSrve PLM and individual devices to function.

The link records have nothing to do with individual device control. Perhaps the missing link records have the PLM is a state where it can no longer communicate with the powerline after trying to run Scenes that are not defined in the PLM. After restoring the PLM with the SYNCH DEVICE unplug EZSrve again for 30 seconds to recycle the PLM. A simple Restart (not Reset) may be enough.

Anonymous

It is getting better. Thanks. I did a Sync Device, then did a restart. Some scenes (haven’t look at all of them) cannot activate all the devices in the scene (I get a device does not respond error). When I manually activate the device, many respond correctly, expect one. Would one non-responding device cause the PLM to stop trying to activate the scene?

When I use the Insteon remote programmed with a similar scene, everything works. So, could this be still a linking issue?

Anonymous

Display the Scene, look at the list of Responders. If the device that is not responding appears in the Scene definition, do a SYNC DEVICE for that specific device. The PLM has a link to the device. Otherwise it would not be processing a device did not respond. The individual device control does not use link records so it can work even when a Scene may not. If individual device control is intermittent then powerline problems are suspect. Also try turning on all the devices in the scene individually. Sometimes the load being turned on by one of the responders could be having an adverse effect on the poweline that would not be seen unless that device was on when the other device is not responding. Since you are running from backup copies of the XML files they may not be in sync with each other. Were the backup XML files taken at the same time with the same configuration.

Anonymous

Mmmm… you are on to something. Seems like some devices have two records for the EZServ PLM All the files were backed up at the same time with the same config (to the best of my ability.

Anonymous

It also seems that some devices have NO links for the EZServ. I remember a discussion that there is no longer has to be links to the PLM. But I’ve gone through so many of these devices and firmware upgrades I bet my links are in need of a cleanup.

Anonymous

Since there are several controllers in my home (keypads, remotes, and the PLM I use with desktop software to configure devices), I am wondering if the link records in the EZserv’s configuration file are really the most recent. If I “Update Device” will I be backleveling them. Will I?

Anonymous

Yes. After you get the devices the way you need to, a SYNCH EZSERVE with each device will bring the link records from the device into the EZSrve XML files.

Anonymous

Does there need to be any EZServ links for devices? Or is it recommended to link?

Anonymous

The Default_0 Group/Scene does not exist in V2. For the EZSrve to “see” device events (button/paddle press) for Actions to trigger on Device based Events the EZSrve must have a responder link for each device button/paddle. This is an Insteon requirement, not an EZSrve requirement. For EZSrve to initiate a Scene there must be Controller link records for the particular Unit (Group) number and each responder device in the Scene. Again this is an Insteon requirement, not an EZSrve requirement.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.