:?: General question about this system 2008-04-21T05:25:37+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve :?: General question about this system

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    #39926 |

Hi everybody,

I’m veeery new about this topic of home automation, i’m not even sure is this is the right discussion to make this question but because it’s so generic and started because of this product please forgive me if i’m in the wrong place.

I don’t live in the US but because i work for an american company here in my country i often travel to the US so i’m planning to buy some stuff for my new home which has a terrace and three small places to convert to gardens, i work with networking and what i want to do is to control almost all my house on a budget, to accomplish that i currently have:

– Sony Vaio VGN-UX380N UMPC that can be used as the wireless control center because it’s a complete computer.
    – Archos 605 Wifi to be used as a wireless remote control with touch screen or viewed on the TV when connected to the TV dock station that i also have.
    – Two Airport Extreme Wifi APs
    – Two Airport Express Wifi APs
    – Logitech Harmony 550 to control things via IR

What i think i need:
    – iPod touch to be used as a wireless remote control (a lot cheaper than touch screen controllers)
    – HP Windows Home Server to host mControl online all the time
    – mControl software (any suggestions or complements that can be hosted on the WHS?)
    – EZ Rain to control irrigation
    – Orbit Valves, Sprinklers and Drip watering stuff
    – 24 VAC converter from ELK (ELK-TRG2440)
    – Insteon light switches around the house and some appliance switches for lamps, outdoor and what i think it’s called landscape illumination.
    – two or three IP cameras like Linksys wireless cameras.
    – IR interface.
    – 4 Insteon APs (not sure if needed)
    – Outdoor low voltage landscape lightning stuff from malibu

What i want:

I want to use either the Archos, iPod or Vaio web browsers, any of the three (archos uses opera browser) to control the internal illumination, monitor cams, maybe to turn on/off things like a very smart wifi wireless control, with what i described i have and what i described i think i need to complement, do you think it is feasible?

I saw the web interface of the EZSrve but i think it’s more to program events than to turn on lights an things like that am i right?

I also saw Cortexa and Homeseer Pro boxes but prices “starts” at $2000 😯 and maybe that could be made with a HP EX470 MediaSmart Home Server and mControl (combined price under $700) and then to use the remaining $1300 in everything else… opinions?

– Having the WHS with mControl which way is better, to use a USB connection usin Powerlinc and then the computer connected to the network or the other way arround using EZSrve and everything running trough the network?
    – Is there a way to connect a rain sensor to the EZRain?
    – Keeping everything else Insteon, is there a better controller to integrate with the system if it happens to lack the rain sensor functionality to save water?

Thank you very much in advance, sorry for the length of the topic. 😳

PP

Anonymous

First off, I work for Simplehomenet – so my posts below are inherently biased.

The EZSrve does have a main screen where you can control – through html – your devices.

You can use the ipod touch – also take a look at the nokia 800 – pretty nice tablet as well. More of a personal preference choice between the two.

– Having the WHS with mControl which way is better, to use a USB connection usin Powerlinc and then the computer connected to the network or the other way arround using EZSrve and everything running trough the network?

I am not sure I would go mControl if I was going to outlay 1000 plus. If you are looking at buying new hardware, check out Indigo plus a mac mini.
    This again, is a preference issue. Take a look at the different platforms, and decide which does what you require. I use the EZSrve – and it is more than sufficient for what I am doing. That said, we will be adding to it some new features including enhanced scene management, email alerts, syslog logging, and more.

– Is there a way to connect a rain sensor to the EZRain?

Take a look at
    http://www.smarthome.com/7194.html
    If you use one of these on the ground lines for your irrigation valves, then they will not turn on if there is sufficient moisture.

– Keeping everything else Insteon, is there a better controller to integrate with the system if it happens to lack the rain sensor functionality to save water?

I would use the above sensor. If you want to actually record how much rain falls, look at coupling a one-wire to an EZIO module, and then Insteon can send the amounts – though I do not think this is required for what you want to do.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.