Garage door opener connected to EZIO2X4 relay doesn’t work 2007-06-06T21:58:24+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx Garage door opener connected to EZIO2X4 relay doesn’t work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    #39722 |

I am following the “Complete Garage Manager” instructions that came with the EZIO2X4. The magnetic sensor shows open/closed status just fine. The relays connected to my opener do not work, however.

Using a continuity tester on the EZIO2X4 relays with nothing else connected shows that they work and are controlled just fine (I use Indigo 2.0 on the Mac). When I connect the wires that go to my garage door opener button to either relay, the EZIO continually sends “inputs status changed” messages every second. What does this mean when the status doesn’t actually change? Every once-in-a-while input 3 or 4 will change from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0. But again, nothing is connected to any input terminals. Also, inputs 3 and 4 are set to the factory defaults. I haven’t touched ’em!

Can anyone tell me what continuous “inputs status changed” messages mean when no inputs are connected?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

The input status changed message is in response to a feature in the EZIOxx, where a bit in the configuration register can be set to enable a broadcast message in response to either an input or an output changing. Another feature is that the inputs can be made to act on the outputs (also by enabling a bit in the configuration register). This is what we call input/output coupling. But, what you report is that something connected to the outputs can trigger an input. This is not supposed to happen and we will investigate.

Anonymous

@simplehome wrote:

This is not supposed to happen and we will investigate.

Thank you for looking into this. I appreciate it and eagerly await your response.

Anonymous

@tjreo wrote:

@simplehome wrote:

Thank you for looking into this. I appreciate it and eagerly await your response.

I ran into the same problem; After hooking up a gate switch to output 1, inputs 3 and 4 started toggling. I solved this by connecting 10k pull up resistors between inputs 3 and 4 and 5v.

(Hooking a pull up only to input 3 causes input 4 to begin to toggle as well…)

Anonymous

@asw24b wrote:

@tjreo wrote:

@simplehome wrote:

I ran into the same problem; After hooking up a gate switch to output 1, inputs 3 and 4 started toggling. I solved this by connecting 10k pull up resistors between inputs 3 and 4 and 5v.

(Hooking a pull up only to input 3 causes input 4 to begin to toggle as well…)

Thank you! I am not so up on my electronics? What do those 10K pull up resistors do? And if I want to use them again, can I or are they useless now?

Thanks again.

Anonymous

On the EZIO2X4, Inputs 1 and 2 are opto-isolated and there is an internal resistor that keeps the logic level “put” so noise is not an issue whenever the inputs are left disconnected. Because Inputs 3 and 4 can be used as analog inputs, there is no termination on them, meaning that their logic level can be indeterminate when the inputs are left disconnected. This causes the actual logic level seeing internally to “bounce” between logic levels causing the issue some of you have seen. The pull-up resistors simply take the inputs and force them to a given logic level.

Anonymous

Thanks you, asw24b. That did the trick.

I don’t understand what is happening internally but I do know that it now works. After installing the 10K resistors, no more random input status changes are being reported.

BTW, gotta love Radio Shack. As much as they have changed into a more high-tech place to buy cell phones and plasma/lcd tvs, you can still go and purchase resistors without them having to be ordered. Nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.