Firmware update / interface overhaul? 2008-12-30T23:16:29+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Firmware update / interface overhaul?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #40119 |

When is 2.0 coming? It’s been a few months since I read mention of it.

I’m getting a little antsy. I really want to get the Insteon thermostats, but I want to be able to easily and intuitively control them at home, by schedule and over the interwebs via my iPhone. The lack of this capability is seriously having me look at regular old programmable thermostats and resigning myself to forget using the EZServe as anything more than a timer for my lights.

Anonymous

No word on this? I’m disappointed. I saw the SmartLinc mentioned in PopMech, and I’m pretty sure it does what I want my controller to do.

When will the EZServ do it? I’m tempted to shell out the money for the SmartLinc and throw the EZServ on ebay…

Anonymous

I share your frustration, but am a little more optimistic… SimpleHomeNet posted the XML reference for their 2.0 API on their website (and in the announcements section of this forum) earlier this week. What I find most interesting in that document is that actions (I’m assuming this is the new term for macros) now allow logical combinations of multiple conditions, as well as multiple effects. I believe this will allow for more sophisticated control. I don’t believe that the SmartLinc has any macro capability; I’ve used macros heavily in my setup with X10 wireless remotes and motion sensors to trigger Insteon actions.

I looked at the SmartLinc and the isy99 series when deciding what to purchase. The lack of macro capability excluded the SmartLinc for me. I seriously considerd the isy99 but opted to try the EzSrve because it was less expensive. I’ll admit that I’ve questioned that choice several times along the way but after talking to their tech support people, learning more about the device and working through some of its limitations I’m willing to wait and see…

Good luck!

S. Sweet

Anonymous

I hope they will get it out soon… Been waiting a long time!

Anonymous

We are coming close. We are working with several different people to ensure the API supports not just our front end, but front ends from other third party clients.

We have an alpha version we are currently testing. If you are interested in being a beta tester when ready, please email support@simplehomenet.com and we can talk.

It is coming soon, along with a ‘bee line of zigbee products.

Anonymous

Cool. Looking forward to the zigbee stuff! Would this be able to translate between insteon/zigbee? I’ve been waiting for more consumer level zigbee apps…

Anonymous

Paul, I emailed a couple days ago.

I’m highly interested in the new firmware – I just ordered two Insteon thermostats to put into my network. I’d really like to be able to manage them through the EZserv.

Anonymous

The good news is that adding true native support to a device like the thermostat in 2.0 is easy and the display will be more than cool. The bad news is that it is harder to do with the exisitng web interface, so it will be out with 2.0 first. Thanks for your patience!

Anonymous

Looks VERY nice. I suppose thermostat settings will be easy to set timers for? I ordered two of the one-day thermostats, assuming I’d be able to set as many timers as I wanted in the EZServ.

Any ETA on the beta versions, and possibly when it will go gold?

Anonymous

I’d also appreciate seeing an ETA, even if it’s only a guess. I recently bought an EZSrve after seeing the v2.0 docs, mistakenly thinking that meant that the API had been released. No big deal, but I don’t feel like writing a lot of code for 1.x with 2.0 coming so soon, so I’d like to know when to check back.

Anonymous

Yes, an ETA would be nice, even if it happens to be ‘two weeks’!

I got my thermostats installed, and while they’re a great improvement over the simple manual thermostats I had before, they will become much more when the EZServ can handle them.

Anonymous

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a customer of SimpleHomeNet, a fan of SimpleHomeNet products for years, and I have no access to absolute schedules/projections etc. for EZSrve V2. I am testing various components of what will be EZSrve V2 at what I would consider an Alpha level. Some of the components have tested perfectly, no faults. Some have bugs to work through. Some of V2 was incorporated into EZSrve 1.60, specifically the dynamic memory model that provides the 256 link record support was ported from V2 to V1, so there are parts of V2 which are much more advanced than others. Paul has solicited users to participate in the Beta test when it becomes available.

Again, from an outsider looking in with no privileged information, you may see a Beta in time measured in weeks. Two weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, would only be a guess. Depends on how quickly all the components come together in a stable package. No sense releasing a Beta until the majority of components are put together and there is a reasonable chance of things working. The Beta will not be bug free. The point of having a Beta is to expose it to the real world to work out the kinks. How long it will take to move V2 from Beta to the released image depends on how long it takes to get the Beta stable. No one can know that date today with any certainty.

As frustrating as it is wanting V2 and not having it, it would be far worse to release something that was not stable and died from a bad reputation before it got started. From the bits and pieces I have seen during testing this should be a fun product. There is an EZSrve V2.0 Design Document in the downloads section which shows the V2 API. You can get a good sense of the direction of V2 from this document.

Edit: corrected name from Tony to Paul, sorry Paul, wrong forum.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.