EZServe Timer can’t see devices 2009-03-04T15:17:18+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve EZServe Timer can’t see devices

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Anonymous
    Post count: 5
    #40139 |

    I just installed a new EZServe system and am a novice on this system. I am running V1.60. Device management allows me to add devices and links, both directly and by detect mode. But the EZServe timer and macro funcitions do not show devices in the device pull downs. I do see a series of blank lines in the pull down that appears to correspond to the number of linked devices.

    I can set the timers from the SHN Utility.

    The timer function also does not provide a pull down for the commands, but I assume that is because it does not have a selected device.

    What am I missing.

    Anonymous
    Post count: 1001

    Can you confirm that the devices that have been added do display individually under Device Management? What are the device types that cannot be seen? Not all devices can be controlled by Timers and Macros, such as ControLincs, RemoteLincs and Motion Sensors. Using the Server Administration/Server Configuration screen click “List Files” button. In the popup window, RIGHT click on the devices3.xml file and click on “Open in New Window”. Do you see all the devices listed in the file?

    Did you migrate to 1.60 from an earlier EZSrve image level, if so what was the earlier image level?

    Finally if the devices3.xml file does contain all the missing devices, please send the devices3.xml file to
    lwgwork@embarqmail.com
    and I will take a look at it. While List Files popup is displayed, RIGHT click on the devices3.xml file and click on “Save Target as…” to offload devices3.xml file from EZSrve.

    Anonymous
    Post count: 5

    Thanks

    Yes the devices do show up in device control with the linkages. They are Switchlinks and a Keypad link. I did figure out that the control link unit was not being recognized.

    The unit came with v1.57 and when this problem did not seem simple, I upgraded to the v1.60. Both were doing the same thing. Since the timer menu shows up with blank lines for the devices, I assume it is not reading the device names correctly.

    I will forward you the device3 file.

    Anonymous
    Post count: 1001

    I see the same results on my EZSrve using your devices3.xml file. I will go through the file and see what is causing the problem. The first thing I noticed is that you defined the Access Points. These devices cannot/should not be controlled/configured/linked etc. in any way and need not be defined as devices (yes, I know the device type is listed). I’ll post back as soon as I have identified the problem. Thanks for sending the file.

    EDIT: the Access Points device definitions were causing the problem. Do not add Access Points as a device. They cannot be managed so the lack of the device entries will have no adverse effect.

    Anonymous
    Post count: 5

    Thanks. That did fix the problem.

    I just assumed that if the device was on the list that it should be added. There is no reason to include an access point since it can’t be controlled. It just never occurred to me that it would create a problem.

    On the other hand, the Control linc is listed on the device list and I spent an hour trying to get the EZServe to recognize it. Is there a thread related to how that works? The EZServe does not see the Control linc or its commands, but the switches will see both.

    Thanks again

    Anonymous
    Post count: 1001

    Thanks for your response. Your assumption is very logical and if the device type is listed it should be capable of being added without creating a problem. The Access Point device definition causing the pulldown problem is a bug and I have forwarded your devices3.xml file on to SimpleHomeNet support for their evaluation. Removing the Access Point device definitions is a temporary work around until the bug can be resolved. Since Access Points have no function to manage there should be no operational impact to not having the device definitions. Some products, such as PowerHome2, do not list a 2443 device type. This information is more for other folks who follow the forum so they can avoid the issue.

    The ControLinc is a different matter. I can see were one might want to trigger a Macro action from a ControLinc button. This would make the ControLinc a “Controller”. A Timer is not applicable to a ControLinc as the device has no “Responder” function. A SwitchLinc is both a “Controller” and a “Responder” so a Macro and a Timer could be applicable to that device type. Can you provide the specifics of what you tried relating to your ControLinc and I will see if I can recreate. There are posts on the Smarthome forum regarding HouseLinc2 not recognizing ControLincs. Don’t know if that is an issue with HL2 or the device itself. I’m away until Thursday evening EST, will look into the ControLinc when I get back.

    Thanks again for taking the time to provide information. It helps the entire EZSrve community.

    Anonymous
    Post count: 1001

    Turns out this problem is related to the class of device rather than Access Points alone. A “Controller Only” device cannot be the first device definition following EZServe in the devices3.xml file. A ControLinc, an Access Point, a Remotelinc, any device type that has no responder function cannot be the first device following EZServe. The symptom remains the same, the Timer and Macro device pulldown displays blank lines. Should you have this symptom carefully edit the devices3.xml file, moving something other than a Controller Only type device into Device Rec=”1″ position. The Device Rec=”x” values will have to be adjusted in each of the Device Rec=”x” tags to put them back into ascending sequence.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.