EZServe problem in Netgear FVS318V3 network 2008-12-22T21:00:28+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve EZServe problem in Netgear FVS318V3 network

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #40117 |

I note that there have been other forum entries discussing the problem of using the EZServe in a FVS318V3 network. I have found no solutions offered other than people swapping out the router for a different model / version. Are there any other options available?

The problem:
    I cannot “Discover” a newly installed EZServe (Firmware V1.58) on my home network. My home network includes a Netgear FVS348V3 router. The Discovery tool does not see the device.

I created a standalone network consisting of my desktop PC, an old Linksys router and the EZServe. This stand alone network had no problem discovering and linking to the device. While in this setup, I changed the IP Setup to a Static IP. I rebooted everything to be sure that change took. So it appears that the EZServe device does work correctly … at least in this environment.

I went back to the Home network environment and I still could not ‘discover’ the EZServe. I could not get my browser to attach to it by entering the static IP address. I could not get a good PING on the static address. Interestingly, I could see the new static IP address in the router’s list of attached devices. It would appear that the problem must be somewhere in how the device fits into the Netgear FVS318V3 home network.

Anonymous

I don’t think anyone sent in the wireshark trace Paul asked for in the earlier Topic.

http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=459&p=2269&hilit=wireshark#p2269

Anonymous

I had no idea what wireshark is — so I downloaded it and started to play around with it. This is certainly not the type of tool that an ‘End User’ of a basic home automation system should be expected to use. I checked with my local commercial geek support outfit to see what it would cost to have someone help look into this. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to just replace the router.

Anonymous

If you want to pursue on your current router I will download/install wireshark on my system and do a trace on mine so I can then walk you through the process. Please post back and let me know if you want to do this. Thanks.

EDIT:

I installed WireShark and ran a trace of my login to EZSrve. I think the following process will get a WireShark trace file that SimpleHomeNet can start analyzing.

Insure no other IP network traffic is being generated during this process.

Invoke IE in preparation for login to EZSrve. Do Not login.

Invode WireShark
    Click Capture/Interfaces/click on Start button for entry representing your NIC card.

Enter EZSrve IP address into IE session and attempt to login to EZSrve. If password screen is displayed go ahead and enter EZSrve ID and password. I don’t know what symptom you see but at the point where you have completed the login attempt, under WireShare click Capture/Stop to stop trace. Under WireShark File/Save as, save WireShark trace file.

Send WireShark trace file to support at simplehomenet Attn: Paul, including as detailed a description as possible of the externals you observe when attempting to login to EZSrve.

EDIT2:

You can also use WireShark to trace the Discovery Java program.

Insure no other IP network traffic is being generated during this process.

Invoke WireShark
    Click Capture/Interfaces/click on Start button for entry representing your NIC card.

Invoke Discovery Java program

When the trace activity stops
    Under WireShare click Capture/Stop to stop trace.
    Under WireShark click File/Save as, save WireShark trace file.

You can post the problem with the author of the Discovery Java tool and see if he can see from the WireShark trace what the issue is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.