EZRain will not enter link mode after reset 2007-09-06T02:28:48+00:00

HOME Forums Irrigation EZFlora EZRain will not enter link mode after reset

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    #39779 |

I had my EZRain lockup today and after I reset it, it no longer will go into linking mode. When I hold the Set button in for over 10 seconds and release it, the led stays solid on. I tried several times and also did a power resets.

I can control the EZRain via the utility although I get intermittent read/write errors.

My current need for the linking mode is that I want to enable X10 commands.

Thanks
    George.

Anonymous

A couple of things:

– For a factory reset, please make sure the unit is unplugged, then hold the pushbutton in as you plug it back in, then keep holding the button for about 12 seconds. It is also possible to reset the unit with our utility by activating the “restore to factory configuration” button.

We would like to see this lockup mode as we have never experienced it. If the problem persists, please call our support line to arrange an exchange.

Anonymous

– For a factory reset, please make sure the unit is unplugged, then hold the pushbutton in as you plug it back in, then keep holding the button for about 12 seconds.

I know I followed this procedure for over 10 seconds last week and it did not work. The EZRain has been disconnected since then.

Last night I tried it again and held the button for 15 seconds. The first time it did not work, but the second time it did and I was able to enable X10. I was very careful to insure that the set button was pressed in firmly both times.

I then tried a reset using the utility, which ran and turned off the LED. Nothing else seemed to happen. After about 4 minutes I unplugged the EZRain and plugged it in again. The EZRain no longer accepted X10 commands, so the reset appeared to have been successful. I then put the EZRain into linking mode and I was then able to enable X10 commands.

We would like to see this lockup mode as we have never experienced it. If the problem persists, please call our support line to arrange an exchange.

I have had periodic lockups of the ISY/PLM and EZRain over the last couple of months. It was only during the last few weeks that they were becoming move frequent. I would be generally alerted by a lighting timer not working or the sprinkler not going off in the morning. A reset of all three devices would clear up the problem.

Months ago, I do remember that the EZRain would stop accepting linking commands. At that time I was experimenting with linking KPL buttons to the EZRain. A simple power on/off would solve that. On one occasion it did lock up the ISY/PLM also.

Last week, however, I was no longer able to reset the PLM. In order to get up and working again, I used the PLM from my EZIO8SA. I have a replacement PLM coming from Smarthome latter this week. When I was unable to get the EZRain into linking mode last week, I decided to take it off the system and put back my prior Rain8 X10 controller. That is where my system stands now.

Now that the EZRain appears to have reset correctly, I will be adding it back to the system and remove the Rain8. When the new PLM arrives I will also add back the EZIO8SA.

Please let me know, if you have any suggestions as to how to proceed other than what I have outlined above.

Thanks,
    George.

Anonymous

George,
    It is always difficult to troubleshoot what you describe at the systems level. Good design would ensure that one device locking up does not lock up the whole system. That being said, in a system having an EZRain, a PLM and an ISY, a failure on any of them should NOT create a failure in the other. When you mention lockup, I’d like to better understand what is happening symptomatically. The PLM’s LED going off and staying off forever, even after a reset, would indicate a hard failure on that device. We can’t think of any reason why an EZRain would make that happen. Conversely, we can’t think of any reason the PLM would make an EZRain lockup.
    Can you read me the firmware revision on both the PLM (sticker on the back of both units) and the firmware reviosion of the EZRain (can get with our PC utility, I don’t know if the ISY lets you see it).
    There are many details behind linking PLMs and using them afterwards in a sender/responder relationship. Again, I don’t know the particulars of how theISY is accomplishing that, but would be more than happy to evaluate an actual setup with some description of what is implemented.
    Only after studying this could we have an opinion as to what is going on.

The EZRain is based on the PLM. It has a microprocessor sitting on top of the PLM and using it as the Insteon engine. We are aware that in the latest rev. of the PLM (5.2), the reset scheme that we use to synchronize the PLM microprocesor with the EZRain microprocessor requires that the button be held for at least 15 seconds to do the factory reset. Upon the reset completes, please unplug the EZRain and plug it back in again for normal operation.

Anonymous

I will gather up the firmware and revision information when I get home tonight. I can tell you now that both PLM’s are firmware 5.2 and I will include the information on the replacement unit when it arrives today or tomorrow.

I use the term “lockup” to describe when a device no longer responds to commands and I appreciate that this may not indicate the problem device. For example:

When the ISY no longer responds and rebooting the unit only results in one LED remaining on, it generally means that it is unable to communicate with the PLM it is connected to. Doing a factory reset on the PLM corrects the problem. I would initially describe the situation as “the ISY is locked up” when it is really the PLM that is locked up.

If after restoring the ISY (which I understand rebuilds the prior links) and then not being able to control the EZRain, I would refer to the EZRain as “locked up” and would proceed to do a reset on the EZRain.

In this latest incident, however, I could not get the PLM to do a factory reset after many attempts and a call to Smarthome determined that the PLM should be replaced. I should note that the PLM LED was on solidly, but it would not respond. At the same time I wanted to use X10 commands in the mean time to control the EZRain with my PLC, but was unable to get the EZRain to go into linking mode in order to enable X10 commands. That is what prompted this post.

If there is any other information that would be useful, please let me know. Also, it would be helpful if you would provide me with any suggestions as to how to proceed should this occur again.

Thanks,
    George.

Anonymous

Here is the Rev / Firmware information:

All the PLM’s including the new replacement are all Rev2.4 and Firm 52.
    The EZRain Firm is 2.4 no Rev listed

Anonymous

@simplehome wrote:

The EZRain is based on the PLM. It has a microprocessor sitting on top of the PLM and using it as the Insteon engine. We are aware that in the latest rev. of the PLM (5.2), the reset scheme that we use to synchronize the PLM microprocesor with the EZRain microprocessor requires that the button be held for at least 15 seconds to do the factory reset. Upon the reset completes, please unplug the EZRain and plug it back in again for normal operation.

How do you normally make people aware of these types of new information? During conversations with support, and through other postings here, I have seen numbers of hold for 10 sec, 12 sec, and now 15 seconds. It also looks like you haven’t updated the instruction manual. I think it’s important to get this info out to your user base. It will save end user frustration, and save you time on support calls.

Anonymous

Good point. Thanks for the suggestion.

George, the EZRain firmware is not “stickered” on the back of the unit. It is, however, available by intrrogation from our utility or some of the other applications. I don’t know ifthe ISY does that. In any event, the 2.4 you see on the back of the EZRain is the firmware rev. of its PLM. We’ll be more than happy to upgrade this one to 5.2 so your EZRain is up to date.

Anonymous

I ran the Utility but did not see where I could obtain the firmware of the EZRain. Which tab is it located on? I will check again tonight.

Regarding your second comment: how do I go about upgrading the EZRain?

Thanks,
    George.

Anonymous

I still do not see where the firmware of the EZRain is in the Simplehomenet Utility Suite.

However, I did find it using Houselinc Destop. It is located under Direct Control/More Properties/General.

My current firmware shows as: 255(15.15)

Should I just call the main phone number regarding the upgrading of the PLM?

Thanks,
    George

Anonymous

George, the firmware version shows up instead of the “not connected” message next to the box where you enter the EZRain ID for the device you are controlling.
    Please call our office for details and help on firmware versions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.