EZRain – things we’ve noticed 2007-05-01T00:40:43+00:00

HOME Forums Irrigation EZFlora EZRain – things we’ve noticed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    #39712 |

We had a power failure in our neighborhood that lasted for about 3 ½ hours yesterday. Today we noticed that none of the KPL’s buttons worked anymore. I pulled up your software utility to check out the links and they are all gone. I had to re-link my KPL’s to the EZRain. The programs and zone run times were all still there, but the links were gone.

Another thing we’ve noticed is a glitch using the KPL. If we start zone 1 from a KPL button and then start zone 2 from a different KPL button, the EZRain will instantly shut off zone 1 and start zone 2 (that’s cool with us). However, the KPL button(s) for zone 1 remain on and it doesn’t matter if we turn off zone 1 or zone 2, the EZRain shuts off the active zone. Here’s another way to explain this. If zone 1 is turned on with a KPL button, the zone comes on and the KPL button lights up. Without turning off zone 1 we turn on zone 2. The EZRain shuts off zone 1 and instantly turns on zone 2. The KPL buttons for zone 1 and zone 2 are now on. If we then turn off zone 1, the EZRain turns off zone 2 but the zone 2 buttons on the KPL’s are still on.

Another thing we’ve noticed is the KPL lights do not follow the zones when programmed timers are running their cycle. They also don’t turn off after the EZRain shuts off a zone when the manual zone run time limit is reached. The EZRain turns off, but the KPL lights do not.

Future requests –
    Field upgradeable firmware
    Inhibit function linked to KPL buttons
    Skip forward and back linked to KPL buttons

That’s it for now…
    Thanks for listening.

Tim

Anonymous

Tim,

Thanks for providing this info. This is exactly the kind of thing we need from our customers to continually improve our products.

We also will make sure to keep track of your feature requests for future versions.

Anonymous

Thanks again for the suggested improvements. As far as the behavior in the KPL’s LEDs, this is, unfortunately, the way they work. The EZRain, if so enabled, sends a status broadcast when its valve status changes, such as when turning a valve off and another one on in a program sequence. A higher level application,such as mControl, HomeSeer or Indigo would interpret this broadcast and update whatever devices it needs to. The KPL does not have this intelligence, however, and this is the reason the LEDs stay on when another device turns the corresponding linked device off independently.

Anonymous

We had another power failure today. It only lasted a few seconds but we still lost all the links to the KPL’s. Looks like this is a glitch of some type where the KeyPad links don’t stay when power fails.

Anonymous

We are looking into this. Links are written into the database of the PLM (that the EZRain is built upon) and should not be erased on power glitches. Same for the KPL.

Anonymous

I have seen similar behavior with my EZIO8SA loosing links when the power is removed from the device. At first, I thought I was just crazy (I haven’t rulled that out yet), but now I’m pretty sure the links are not getting stored in non-volatile memory.

Anonymous

Since the PLM is built by SmartLabs, we need to investigate further. Could you tell us the firmware revsions of the devices involved? Refer to the sticker on the back of the unit for the number following “REV” or “FIRM”

Anonymous

I’m not really sure what this means, but here it is:

3007FIRM52
    REV 2.4

Also, after about of the EZIO8SA working with HomeSeer and my script, the EZIO would report incorrectly sometimes when polling the status of the inputs. I have since rebooted the computer, to restart HomeSeer and removed and repowered the PLM. This seems to have fixed things and I will post if I notice anything strange. What this does seem to indicate is that the Insteon links are persistant across power cycles.

Anonymous

Thanks. You can be sure the links are persistent as they are stored in EEPROM.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.