EZIO_utility – Need EZIO ID? 2007-08-01T02:47:53+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx EZIO_utility – Need EZIO ID?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    #39748 |

I apologize if this is obvious somewhere – I have searched here and smarthome. I am trying to connect my USB PLC to the EZIO8SA to change the default behavior. The SimpleHomeNet util asks for an EZIO ID (format aa.bb.cc) and I dont know how to find it. Please help. Thanks -Doug

Anonymous

Take a look at the back of the PLM that the EZIO8SA connects to – there should be a sticker with the ID.

Anonymous

Simplehomeutility V1.71

Is that address on the back of the PLM (ie.AA.BB.CC) the address you put in the box marked “EZBridge IP Address” ? i put that address (on the back of my PLM) in that box and hit Connect but i keep getting “System.Net.Sockets.SocketExecption” No Such host is known”

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anonymous

The SHN Utility Suite talks to the powerline through an EZBridge/EZServ device or a PLC. If you have an EZBridge/EZServ device, you have established an IP address for it, either by defining an explicit IP address or having your DHCP server dynamically assign it. It is this IP address that goes into the “EZBridge IP Address” field. If you do not have an EZBridge/EZServ device, you do not use the “EZBridge IP Address” field.

Without an EZBridge/EZServ device (which is the majority of folks using Insteon) you click on the “Use PLC” button and then click on “Connect”. A message will be displayed on the bottom of the Utility screen when a connection to the PLC has been established. You do not need to enter the xx.xx.xx address of the PLC, the Utility finds it automatically. The xx.xx.xx value of your EZIOS8A is not entered until you get to the configuration screen for EZIOxx devices by clicking on the EZIOxx tab at the top of the screen.

EDIT: There is a later version of the Utility available (1.73). I would suggest getting the latest level of the Utility.

Anonymous

Sorry for sounding stupid here… im new…

This is what i have

http://www.simplehomenet.com/prods.asp?page_id=prodInputOutput_EZIO8SAPLM_Combo

?1) Can you hook up the PowerLine modem (PLM) directly to the PC Using the Serial cable provided?

?2) Can you hook up the EZIO directly to the PC using the same serial cable?

Out of the two methods (if they are both possible) which one do you do to setup the unit to reverse a command (IE.Send a Light OFF command when it sends a ON Command) when i open the front door the light turns off not on.

Thanks

Anonymous

No reason to apologize. There is a learning curve here that we are trying to remove.

The EZIO8SA cannot connect directly to a PC. The EZIO8SA can only communicate on an Insteon network. You configure the EZIO8SA through the insteon network.

To use the free utility you must connect through a PLC or through an EZSrve that is connected to your computer. If you decide to not use the free utility, you need to use a different sw package or use a manual method.

Smarthome’s PLC:
    http://www.smarthome.com/2414u.html

EZSrve:
    http://www.simplehomenet.com/prods.asp?page_id=prodServers_EZSrve

If you decide to use the free utility, you need to purchase one of the above. I am sorry, but we do not have support for the PLM with the utility.

Also, depending on your needs, you can just use a manual configuration, though you are limited in how much you can configure. See the quick start guide.

http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloads/EZIO8SA%20Quick-start.pdf

If you still have more questions, feel free to continue posting or if you are getting impatient you can contact support@simplehomenet.com or call us (877-495-0144 9AM – 5PM PST).

Anonymous

I received a suggestion from grif091 (unable to post right now), here are his comments:

“… I was going to offer some suggestions to Doug regarding HA software that I have used over the past two years. Planned to suggest getting a PLC rather than an EZServ at this point in his usage of Insteon. I’ve used a PLC ever since I purchased Smarthomes Houselinc Desktop, now using PowerHome because of the delays in updates to Houselinc to support the Simplehomenet devices. I also have an EZServ which works fine but my sense is Doug is not ready for that level of complexity yet.”

In general, I agree. For connecting to the EZSrve, it is straightforward and the EZSrve does have greater capabilities than the PLC, though to be honest since the EZSrve does more than the PLC, it is more complex to some degree. For the PLC, you plug it in and go (after installing the SDM, link is on the utility). The EZSrve connects to your home network, so you need a home router, and then you connect to the Insteon network through that.

A question to ask yourself is, start in the shallow end of the pool or just dive into the deep end (both ways will work)? Also, how big is your HA setup going to be? If it is just a couple devices, and some basic timers, the PLC should be fine. Though, I am guessing EZIO customers typically have bigger plans.

Anonymous

Paul, thanks for passing the info on and finding my login mistake.

Doug, Paul makes good points as always. You will not find a better group of folks to deal with nor a better set of products. I have some 7 or 8 Simplethomenet devices installed (including an EZServ) along with 40+ Insteon devices from Smarthome (including a PLC). I do suggest starting with a PLC. It is less expensive (not the primary reason for using a PLC), it requires no setup, and various Home Automation software interfaces to it. Smarthome’s Houselinc Desktop software, which I have used for a few years, is an okay starting point, It has some good drag & drop features for linking Insteon devices which makes its cost worth it alone. A major problem with Houselinc is that it does not effectively support Simplehomenet devices. There are promises on the Smarthome forum that the product is being rewritten and will be rereleased when it is stable but no hard date and no list of devices supported. PowerHome is a better choice (my opinion only). You can download it and use it free for 30 days. Although the base product does not have all the Simplehomenet devices listed, you can add devices to the list and define enough of the characteristics to make the Insteon network manageable. PowerHome goes through a PLC. They are working on a version that supports a PLM, which is available as an Alpha release. The Alpha has to be installed on top of the latest PowerHome Beta. You will still need the Simplehomenet Utility Suite to configure some of the features in the Simplehomenet devices, like command overrides. If you don’t plan to have much Insteon, then get a PLC, use the SHN Utility Suite to set your options and you are off and running. If you are looking down the road at a significant investment in Insteon, and want to start with building blocks that are robust enough for the long term, and you can handle the extra complexity, get an EZServ. EZServ supports Insteon Extended Messages which the PLC does not. Some of the neat new stuff coming to Insteon devices require Extended Message support. As Paul said, EZServ gets you on your Ethernet network and all the flexibility that offers. EZServ is being updated with new features all the time and is user updateable with images downloaded from the Simplehomenet web site.

Hope you enjoy your Insteon experience.

Anonymous

Still no luck with the PLM but I just wanted to comment on the PowerHome software. I have tried almost EVERY trial of home automation software out there!! I am not a programmer nor have the patients or time to be one. I am simply looking for a piece of software that has a minimal “break in period” or “learning process” with features that i find interesting. PowerHome BY FAR has met/exceeded my demands. Grif091, you mentioned that PH may not have all the hardware devices listed in it’s trial version and i certainly hope that is the case because the 2412S PLM is not listed and that is what im currently working on.

Just wanted to leave my input. I will continue trying to get the PLM interface to communicate with my pc.

Rob

Anonymous

Support of the PLM is one of the things that is in the ALPHA release. The link will get you to the PowerHome forum where Dave announced the ALPHA. Probably too early in the cycle for you to join in based on your post. Dave is another one of those folks who you could not ask more of. I’m sure he will get that into a Beta as soon as he can.

http://www.power-home.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1738&PN=1

Have you gotten your PLM to work at all. From the number of posts discussing the PLM in the various forums, there may be some comm problems. Really too early to be sure. Have not seen anyone say definitively they have actually proven an issue with the PLM itself. Some say it works with normal Insteon traffic but seems to have problems when the network becomes flooded with traffic. I don’t have one yet so cannot speak from personal experience. Good Luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.