EZIO6I 2008-07-12T22:52:33+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx EZIO6I

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    #40005 |

I purchased the EXIO6I and it arrived today. I have eventual plans to hook in at a basic level to my alarm system, but for now, just want to replace an old X10 PSC01 that I was using with a magnetic sensor to determine the garage door status (opened/closed).

Here is what I have. I have a wire connecting I1+ to the +12V, and then I have I1- going to one screw on the magnetic sensor, and the GND going to the other. I am using Indigo for the Mac to monitor the communications.

I am getting ‘1’ for the status for the input (I1) with the magnetic door sensor attached. If I disconnect from the magnetic sensor and just cross and uncross the wires, I see change from ‘1’ to ‘0’, back to ‘1’ etc, as I would expect.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

The results you describe are expected assuming the magnetic contact is NC. Moving the wires on the sensor removes and restores the GND to the I1- connection which causes an Input state change. Can you expand on your question? Thanks.

EDIT:
    Supplying +12V to I1+ and GND to I1- turns the Input ON, which is reported as a “1” in the status field. Removing the GND from I1- causes the Input to turn OFF, which is reported as a “0” in the status field. If you are looking for a “0” (Input OFF) when the door is closed, use a NO magnetic contact. As the door opens, the NO magnetic contact closes, causing the Input to turn ON and report a “1”. All four opto-isolated Inputs operate the same on the EZIO6I as well as the two opto-isolated Inputs on the EZIO2X4.

Anonymous

So my current problem is that I believe my magnetic sensor is NC, not NO. Is the internet my best bet for picking on of these up? Or would I be able to find it somewhere local quicker?

Anonymous

I think my last NO magnetic contacts came from Radio Shack. http://www.smarthome.com carries a full line of magnetic switches. Part # 7040 is the NO variant. Any online site that carries security devices will probably have magnetic switches of the NO and NC type. Retailers like Lowes or Home Depot may also have them if they carry security devices.

You have a Normally Closed (NC) magnetic switch if the Input is ON, GND connected to I1- through the magnetic switch, when the magnet and the switch are adjacent. Removing the magnet will open a NC switch, turning the Input off, because the GND is no longer connected to I1-. A Normally Open (NO) magnetic switch works just the opposite. When the magnet is adjacent to the switch, the switch is open. When the magnet is moved away from the switch it closes.

Anonymous

OK – so then I must have a problem, as my NC magnetic sensor doesn’t seem to change the status of the input from 1 (which is what it shows adjacent), and 1 (which is also what it shows when I remove the magnetic portion away from the sensor). This same sensor was in use and operational earlier today??? I’d be okay if my status was just backward, but I haven’t been able to make it work with the magnetic sensor. Thanks for your time – any other ideas / suggestions?

EDIT: I think my sensor is bad. I am going to try a new one and will report back. Thanks for your quick responses and helping me to better understand the EZIO.

Anonymous

Be sure the magnet is well away from the switch, several inches may be necessary for a wide gap magnetic switch. If moving the magnet away does not report a state change, disconnect one of the wires from the switch. If a state change is reported when the wire is removed, the magnetic switch is not working.

Could be the EZIO6I is not reporting a state change. There is an option “Broadcast Status Chg” which must be set for the EZIO6I to send those Status Change messages Indigo is using to report state changes. Did you set that option through Indigo or the Simplehomenet Utility Suite? Using the SHN Utility the option can be changed temporarily by doing a “Write” of the Configuration Register with the Broadcast Status Chg option set. This setting is made permanent by clicking on the yellow “Save Changes” button. Don’t know what the process is using Indigo. Also, if you link an Insteon device to the Input, the Status Change message is suppressed, even if the Broadcast Status Chg option is set.

You can try unplugging the EZIO6I but if the Broadcast Status Chg option was not set permanently, the option will be lost when power is removed.

Does Indigo have a mechanism for displaying Insteon traffic? If so you want to look for a Status Change message.

Anonymous

The magnet was plenty far away. I hooked it back up to the PSC01 which I knew was operational prior and it didn’t work either, so I must have zapped it when trying to configure it. Disconnecting one wire and then reconnecting registers the changes, so, like you said, that proved the sensor is garbage.

I saw the Broadcast Status change option and made sure to set that up (Indigo allows you to configure that).

I am going to order a sensor of the internet tonight, assuming I can’t find them anywhere locally (went to Home Depot, two Radio Shacks, and Harbor Freight and nobody had them).

I appreciate your expertise – I am learning!

Anonymous

I’ve had good results with the EZIO6I. Have the 4 opto-isolated inputs connected to a Dakota Alert receiver which is monitoring mail delivery, driveway activity and some conditions at the dock. I’m using two EZIO2X4s in the garage to monitor door activity as well as remote control of the openers.

Good luck with a new switch.

Anonymous

Thank you. I plan to replace my garage door status, and then add my alarm monitoring (mainly STAY/AWAY mode), but I have a little learning to do before I attempt that. Both my garage and my alarm are using X10 – and they are the only two modules that cause my system to miss triggers (like leaving the house, arming the alarm AWAY, should turn the A/C up several degrees and shut down lights/fans in the house).

Hopefully once I have these two devices replaced, my system will be flawless…

Anonymous

Got the new magnetic contacts (ones that will operate either NO or NC) and had no problems setting it up. Thanks again for your help.

Anonymous

Great news. Post again if something new comes up.

Anonymous

Back already! How easy is it to hook up my door bell into this unit? The transformer in the garage is about 10 feet from the EZIO6I. I just don’t know where I would run the wires into the EZIO?

Anonymous

The door bell is powered from a low voltage AC source, the EZIOxx family of devices Inputs are looking for DC or a dry contact switch. You can use a relay with an AC coil that matches the voltage of the door bell. The relay coil is connected in parallel with the door bell such that when the bell is energized, the relay is energized. The NO or NC relay contacts are connected to an Input, just like the magnetic switch.

I used a low voltage AC relay powered by a door bell transformer when using an EZIO8T which uses Triacs to drive the outputs. Smarthome carries an AC relay, part # 7195A. They are on the expensive side because the relay contacts are rated for 10 amp AC. I’m sure there must be less expensive relays from an online source. Smarthome was just convenient at the time.

You could also create an AC to DC circuit, powered from the door bell, such that you have a DC voltage to connect to one of the opto-isolated Inputs when the door bell is energized. I think the relay option is the easier of the two approaches.

Anonymous

Perfect – I may hold off on that for now, but could be interesting. So the only X10 device that I need to replace is my Ademco Alarm. A while back I bought the X10 Transformer that Ademco made for the Vista-15p and it works most of the time…but occasionally it does not. So I am switching to the EZIO to make communication more reliable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.