EZIO2x4 and garage doors 2007-07-23T21:30:58+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx EZIO2x4 and garage doors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    #39740 |

Hi,

I’m interested in automating my 2 garage doors and looks like a single EZIO2x4 should do the trick. I’ve read through the instructions and want to verify that this is possible:

I have a keypadlinc and want to assign a secondary button in toggle mode to each door. I want the button lights to always reflect the status of the doors, whether opened by physically pressing the button or remotely from my car. This seems quite do-able from what I’ve read.

Taking this a step further, I have a couple of NON-toggle buttons for “Bedtime” and “Away” that turn off all the lights in the house. I would like those buttons to close the garage doors if they are open. If the doors are already closed, I don’t want them opening.

Now the icing on the cake. I understand that the EZIO can automatically close the doors if left open for x minutes. Am I correct in this?

Please note I do not have any automation controller and would prefer to be able to do this without one.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,
    Rob

Anonymous

So no comments? Let me rephrase the question:

Is the EZIO2x4 smart enough to respond to device ON and OFF commands depending on the status of the sensor inputs? For example, if a sensor shows the garage door is closed and I send an OFF command I don’t want the door opening if it was already closed.

Should I simply call the sales # and these questions?

Thanks,
    Rob

Anonymous

Hi just received the EZIO2X4 Friday.
    Tried all weekend to set it up, but got so upset I gave up.
    I there any one that has gone through this that can help me.
    I feel so stupid. 🙁

Thanks, Mr B

Anonymous

I haven’t purchased it myself as I still don’t know if it will do what I want it to do w/o a dedicated automation controller.

That being said, what kind of problem are you having? Detecting the garage door state, sending/receiving insteon messages, or what?

Anonymous

I was planning on using this for my garage door automation, well, really only just sensors to let me know if a door was open and flash some lights. After reading about some issues here, I decided against the EZIO device and bought a Fusion Brain which has a lot more I/O ports than the EZIO’s and is way cheaper. I will be using it with PowerHome. It does not do native Insteon.

Simplehomenet, you ought to see if you can OEM the Fusion Brain and put the Insteon front end on it. That would be a great IO device!
    They also have a forum at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fusion-brain/
    [/url]

Anonymous

pavlov70,

In regards to capabilities, I am not sure what configuration you are looking at operating. In regards to capabilities, there are triggers for transitions on the outputs. For the two outputs, you can either set those with Insteon or trigger them based on transitions on the inputs. The transition prevents repeated messages.

If you let me know a little more specifics, perhaps I can be more specific. Check out the utility suite in the download section (free download) to see the capability of the 2×4.

feel free to email me directly
    paul@simplehomenet.com

Anonymous

Sorry for the struggles – what exactly are you trying to setup? Feel free to either post or email me directly

paul@simplehomenet.com

Anonymous

Hi Paul, thanks for the response. I’ve downloaded the configuration tool and it looks pretty nifty.

My primary goal is to be able to open and close the garage door via an Insteon command and replace the “doorbell-style” garage door switch with an Insteon KeypadLinc.

My existing garage door opener uses a simple contact closure switch. Press it and the state of the garage door changes. I will attach the door opener to R1_A and B on the EZIO as per instructions. Using a door sensor hooked up to I1- and GND will determine the state of the door.

Now say I send an Insteon OFF command from a KeypadLinc to close the door but the door is already open. Will the EZIO ignore this command because the door sensor shows the door as already closed and triggering the output relay would open the door? Can this logic be accomplished with just the EZIO or is a dedicated automation controller needed?

Thanks for your patience.
    – Rob

Anonymous

I am using HomeSeer so your results may differ but I poll the EZIO input to keep HomeSeer in sync with the status of the garage door.

Do the KeypadLincs have buttons that light up (I don’t own any of them)?

[RANT]
    One thing that I have noticed with the EZIO8SA that I have is that if the input changes too quickly, like on then off within about 5 seconds or so, then the off command will not get sent and the status will get out of sync. I tried to inform SimpleHomeNet about this, but I am not sure if they have confirmed or plan to change the functionallity. They said that it is because there are group cleanup massages that need to be sent. That’s fine, but I would still like to see the off command get sent even if there is some delay! I would really like to see these commands get queued and sent instead of dropped.
    [/RANT]

Sorry for the rant!

Anonymous

First and update and then the excuse. We are preparing some application notes to take the mistery out of the EZIOxx setup, wit emphasis on garage door automation. But it will be impossible for us to do this with all the various automation packages out there, so the first will be a stand-alone version (no automation package) and the second one using our utility. Due to the need to use a utility to set timers and enable things like putting the output timers in seconds, the stand-alone functionality will be somewhat limited.
    We are also testing new firmware that takes advantage of the new PLM engine to improve the response to changes on the inputs. This will be released as version 2.0 in mid-September.
    Now the excuse: we realize the EZIOxx devices are quite flexible and thus the complexity of setup can be daunting. We encourage you to use the free utility suite and provide us with feedback on improvements.
    Also note that the LEDs on the KPL have no way of knowing when a device other than the KPL button has activated the controlled device. This makes it difficult to have the LEDs reflect the true status of the controlled device without a home automation package that is updating everything.

Anonymous

I will be anxiously awaiting the app notes! I am still trying to get my hands around the setup between the EZIO and HomeSeer. I do have rudimentary functionallity working such that I can poll the EZIO to determine the status of the inputs.

Any idea when the app notes might be ready?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.