HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx EZeye & EZIO6I

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Bob,

Don’t the following trace messages indicate you are getting Group commands from Input 1 and Input 5? This indicates to me that you were successful in linking Input 1 and Input 5. Something that may have been introducing some question about what is going on. The “Input Port” bits for Input 1 and Input 5 will change as the respective Input changes state. This is true whether Broadcast messages are being generated which returns the Input Port byte, Group messages are being generated, or NO messages are being generated. The Input Port bits changing is an internal action of EZIOxx devices as Inputs are changing state regardless of what message is generated, if any. If you had the SHN Utility running you can query the Input Port byte value as you change Input states and watch the bits turn On and Off. The Input Port byte is reflecting the physical state of the Input, not whether that state change is generating any message (Broadcast or Group).

Jul-10 11:46:19 PM
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” off (button 1)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” off (button 5)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” on (button 1)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” on (button 5)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” off (button 1)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” off (button 5)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” on (button 1)
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” on (button 5)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lee,

I think I see what is going on now. Indigo is designed to work with the Broadcast Status Change. When I have one input linked Indigo still sees the second input using Broadcast Status Change and automatically updates in inputs in Indigo but when I link the second input it switched off the Broadcast Status Change and Indigo has no way of updating the inputs as it is not designed to work with linking.

This was Matt’s last post on the subject.

f you link only 1 of the groups, then the EZIO is still sending the broadcast status change command because the other input is changing. Whenever it broadcasts, it includes the binary state for all of the inputs so they both update. But once you link the other input as well, then broadcasting is disabled for both inputs (per their reply above) and it stops sending the broadcast status change command.

So, you need to either use only linking and patch into the INSTEON Group commands coming in, or you need to not link and just use the broadcast status change functionality. If you do the former, then you’ll likely want to track the state of the inputs in separate Indigo variables (using Trigger Actions) since the internal binary input states of Indigo won’t be automatically updated. That is, Indigo doesn’t update its internal EZIO states based on the incoming Group/Button linked commands. This is because Indigo is currently designed to work with the EZIOs using the broadcast information, or via status polling.

I think this could be the root of the unreliability problem I had with the EXIO8SA. All the inputs relied on Broadcast Status Change. I have some questions on the EZsrve, can I contact you by email?

thanks,

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob,

The analysis of the Broadcast message presenting the Input Port byte which has a snapshot of all the input states is correct. When Input 5 had no active link and was continuing to generate Broadcast messages Indigo would see current state information for all inputs when Input 5 changed state. Once both Inputs have active link records all Broadcast messages stop. Other Inputs without active links would continue to generate Broadcast messages. Since Input 1 and Input 5 are the only ones in use at present all Broadcast messages stop. Good conclusion on the Indigo end.

My email is lwgwork@embarqmail.com if you want to take a conversation off line from the forum.

Lee

EDIT: the Broadcast messages stop when all the Inputs in use have active links. The Configuration Register will still have the Broadcast Status Chg bit On assuming it was On already but an active link for a particular Input suppresses the Broadcast status message for that Input. This order of precedence is described in the EZIOxx documents. From the EZIOxx Advanced Details document “A broadcast on an input change can only happen if the input is not linked.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you tell me why I get so many of the “Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” inputs status changed: 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0″ at the same time?

thanks,

bob

2-Aug-10 6:37:19 AM
    Received INSTEON “EZIO6I” inputs status changed: 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen this happen most often because one of the Inputs is floating. In this case that should only be one of the Analog Inputs as the opto-isolated Inputs do not float. What are the trigger points for Analog 2.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the EZeye on AN1 and AN2 is shorted to the ground as that is what the forms at Perceptive Automation recommend. The trip points for AN2 are set to 600,200.

regards,
    bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another possibility would be the trip points for Analog 1 are the same or very close together. I thought I saw in one of your earlier posts that was not the case. Basic stuff such as connections are not tight allowing an Input to transition falsely. Some diagnostics might be in order. Disconnect Input 1 and see if that has any affect. Then try disconnecting Input 5 and lock it to GND to see if that has an effect. How much time do those trace entries cover.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had AN1 set to 50,30 so I changed it to 100,30. Is that still too close together?

bob

The trace entries I sent you were on the date/time shown on the log. Here is an example of the times apart:

2-Aug-10 6:14:19 PM

2-Aug-10 8:35:23 PM

Anonymous
    Inactive

The trigger point values for AN1 depend on what the EZEye is seeing. The 100/30 seems okay. You can usually tell by watching the actual analog value and see what the range is as clouds move over, reflections of things that may be driving by, I had it picking up sun reflecting off of water. Since the Input bit pattern is not changing I would think the 100/30 is okay but the analog value itself will confirm that. With the same input pattern it looks more like connection type situation. Give each wire a slight tug to be sure it was captured. I once actually stripped one of those little screws trying to get stable results. Turned out the wire was inserted below the compression strip rather than above it so when I tightened the screw it was not securing the wire. Normally I have the Input identified by Group number in the inbound message. With the same Input bit pattern it does not identify which Input is causing the Broadcast. I’ll set up the EZIO6I with the EZEye again and see if I see anything similar to your results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I taped the EZEye to the inside of a North facing sliding glass door. Almost two hours without a Broadcast once the environment had been established. Of course it is dark outside. Both analog inputs are defined with trigger points of 400/200 with Analog 2 floating. I’ll update this post later in the day after the sun has been up a few hours.

EDIT1: so far I have not seen the Broadcast pattern. Input 1 (the EZEye digital output) cycled On/Off/On/Off/On a few times as the sun came up but no Broadcast messages without a state change. The Analog 1 value is running in the 360/370 range at 10:40 AM EDT so I lowered the AN1 trip points to 300/100 at which point Analog 1 Broadcast message was sent with both Input 1 and Input 5 On. My earlier tests were done under a desk lamp where the Analog value was higher which is why I had to lower the AN1 trip points. I will continue to monitor throughout the day and update this post, particularly on the dusk side to see if any Broadcast messages are sent as light disappears.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I taped the EZEye to the inside of a North facing sliding glass door. Almost two hours without a Broadcast once the environment had been established. Of course it is dark outside. Both analog inputs are defined with trigger points of 400/200 with Analog 2 floating. I’ll update this post later in the day after the sun has been up a few hours.

EDIT1: so far I have not seen the Broadcast pattern. Input 1 (the EZEye digital output) cycled On/Off/On/Off/On a few times as the sun came up but no Broadcast messages without a state change. The Analog 1 value is running in the 360/370 range at 10:40 AM EDT so I lowered the AN1 trip points to 300/100 at which point Analog 1 Broadcast message was sent with both Input 1 and Input 5 (AN1) On. My earlier tests were done under a desk lamp where the Analog value was higher which is why I had to lower the AN1 trip points. I will continue to monitor throughout the day and update this post, particularly on the dusk side to see if any Broadcast messages are sent as light disappears.

EDIT2: at 1:30 PM EDT Analog 1 value has dropped to 301 as cloud cover has moved in. No Broadcast messages since Analog 1 turned On after I lowered the analog trip points earlier this morning. A Query of the Input Port shows Input 1 and Input 5 (AN1) On.

EDIT3: Input 1 cycled Off/On/Off/On/Off at sunset similar to what happened at sunrise. The Analog 1 Input sent 1 Broadcast message when it went below the On to Off trip point at the sunset and no more Broadcast messages after that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lee,

If I use the UDI ISY device with it’s own PLC, can I use Indigo with it’s own PLC? I thought I’d get a UDI ISY device and slowly transfer stuff from Indigo to the UDI ISY using both until I get everything moved/operating with the UDI ISY. I’m really loosing patience with all the problems I have and I think they are down to the way Indigo is set up to work with Insteon.

I had AN1 set to 50,30 so I changed it to 100,30. It’s reduced the log entries, I had one of those long log entries at 6 am but none since. I just deselected using the analog inputs to see if that stops it all together. My connections check OK.

Thanks for your help!

bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can use multiple powerline controllers at the same time. The ISY supports either the 2412S Serial PLM or 2413S Dual Band Serial PLM. I think you would have to limit a given Insteon device to one or the other. Trying to manage and control the same device from two different systems could be a logical issue. I am still monitoring for Broadcast messages from the EZIO6I. Sunset is a few hours away. No Broadcast messages since mid morning when I lowered the AN1 analog trip points to get AN1 to show an On state.

The 2413S Dual Band PLM does not provide 12V power as the 2412S does so an external power supply (wall wort) is needed if using the 2413S.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lee,

I think my problem is that I have a loop set up with some of my scripts that are checking for a status change then running a “check status”. I’ll know better after checking my log in the morning.

Input 1 (the EZEye digital output) cycled On/Off/On/Off/On a few times as the sun came up but no Broadcast messages without a state change.

How can the EZEye cycle on/off and the EZIO6I not broadcast the on/off?

The more I try to get this working the more I think all my problems are because Indigo relies on the Broadcast Status Change. I found this info on the PA forms http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2162&p=11340&hilit=ezio+inputs+status+change#p11340.

I set the EZeye to switch on/off at a specific light setting for morning & night. This is used to turn on/off my night lights. Can this be done with the ISY?

I do have a 2412S so all I need is the ISY.

thanks again,

bob

P.S. You are doing this testing with the ISY yes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The reference to the EZEye digital output turning On/Off/On/Off was referring to the Broadcast messages it was generating. It looks like at least this EZEye digital output is sensitive to the light level at the dialed in set point. I have another EZEye I will test later to see if the same thing. It does not impact Programs that want to do something at Sunrise such as turning Off lights. It would create an issue if you wanted to turn something On/Off in direct response to the digital output. Sensors in flood lights that have a dusk/dawn function have circuitry that suppress cycling when right at the light level that triggers a response. Does not look like the EZEye has that once On stay On or once Off stay Off logic built into the digital output. The Analog output produces that effect in combination with trigger points as the level has to reach a certain level to turn On and then has to drop the distance between the Off to On versus On to Off trip point value before turning Off. The Analog 1 Input produced one Broadcast message at sunrise and one Broadcast message at sunset.

I am monitoring the Broadcast traffic with the SHN Utility. The ISY defines active links for all the EZIOxx Inputs so Broadcast messages are not generated when using EZIOxx devices with an ISY.

Yes, the ISY can have a Program that reacts to a Group On or Group Off from an EZIOxx Input. Looks like some delay would have to be programmed to insure the EZEye digital output cycling did not cause the lights being controlled to cycle when the light level is right at the digital output trip point. Not sure if that characteristic is the same when an active link has been established for the Input connected to the EZEye digital output.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.