AnonymousInactiveNovember 11, 2008 at 4:38 pmPost count: 29
I have a second PLM (not part of EZServe) for controlling devices. I have been using the devices3.xml file as an easy way to manage links on this plm. When I use the “synch device” button in the web interface it seems to erase the old links and update with the new list just fine. But, when I check the link database on the plm with the SHN utility the links are messed up- it appears to write about the first thirty links and then starts over at the beginning of the list. This has happened to me twice now. So, I did a manual reset on the PLM to clear the data base and tried to synch again- this time it added only the first 32 links and then started repeating the first 32 over again. When I try to add a link using the SHN utility I get a “no room-link not added” error message. I don’t have any other way to manage links right now. My questions are:
1. Is the EZServe (firmware 1.58 ) really duplicating links and filling up the link database in my PLM, or is the SHN utility giving me misleading information?
2. What is the link limit on my PLM? (It is at least a year old).
3. Is there a better way to manage links?
Thanks for your suggestions.AnonymousInactiveNovember 11, 2008 at 7:01 pmPost count: 1001
There is some magic about the number 32 links. That is the number of links it takes to fill up 256 bytes of memory. At that point something new has to happen to adjust the MSB value from 0F to 0E so that the next 256 bytes of link database memory can be written to. If that adjustment does not happen the same set of space would be written into for the next 32 links or read from in the case of the Utility giving the appearance that the links were repeated when they were not. I would assume there is a problem with the SHN Utility rather than EZSrve. Particularly since the Utility cannot add a link. The Utility keeps scanning the same 32 links looking for an empty slot and never finds one. Since we need EZSrve to be right regardless of what the Utility is able to do I would like to suggest you run a trace of EZSrve while doing a SYNCH DEVICE to the second PLM. Invoke the SHN Utility, connect to EZSrve, and click on the EZSrve/EZBridge tab and then the Control tab. In the bottom right corner check Enable Logging. This will write the xml trace to a log.txt file in the SHN Utility install directory (SHN Utility Suite). If you have been using the log.txt file before, erase it before invoking the Utility so it will be as small as it can be. Then bring up EZSrve and do the SYNCH DEVICE and email (I think you have my email address) the log.txt file along with the devices3.xml file (or at least that part showing the second PLM and its associated links) so I can compare what EZSrve is writing (and where) to the second PLM versus what is in devices3.xml file. The log.txt file will be much too large to post the content on the forum.
The max links for the old PLM is something in the neighborhood of 500. The new PLM expanded that number to 2000+.
The other thing you can do is run SYNCH EZSERVE against the second PLM after doing the SYNCH DEVICE. The SYNCH EZSERVE will read the link database of the second PLM and display it. If it shows all the links then the SYNCH DEVICE worked.AnonymousInactiveNovember 11, 2008 at 7:14 pmPost count: 29
Ok, I will give this a try tonight. The other thing I should mention is that this PLM has lost some or all of its links a few times now (most recently last night). I’m starting to think the problem is with the PLM, but hopefully this test will tell us that.
Thanks again for all your help!AnonymousInactiveNovember 11, 2008 at 7:46 pmPost count: 1001
Two points of clarification. If you do run the trace, leave the SHN Utility running as it is the one doing the actual xml tracing.
If you do the SYNCH EZSERVE to read the second PLM link database, upload a temporary devices3.xml file that has all the second PLM link definitions deleted. That way we can be sure any links that show up are from the second PLM database and not something left over from the devices3.xml. Of course save the original devices3.xml file with all the link information in case the SYNCH EZSERVE does not pull all the expected links back.AnonymousInactiveNovember 12, 2008 at 1:35 amPost count: 29
Update: I sent the log.txt file and device files as requested. The problem seems to be a glitch with the SHN utility, which apparently is going to be replaced in the near future. When I checked to links on the PLM with the EZServe interface they all appeared to be fine, and were listed only once. The PLM also seems to be controlling all my devices just fine.
Thanks for your help!AnonymousInactiveNovember 14, 2008 at 11:33 pmPost count: 256
This issue is not addressed by 1.59 as it is a function of the utility suite. We are working on a new release of the utility to accommodate different database sizes and to allow for more convenient links management. Stay tuned
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.