Detect X10 device status? 2008-11-25T15:40:39+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve Detect X10 device status?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    #40109 |

Hi, i just got my EZServe and it takes care of some basic functions i wanted without needing to have a PC on, which is good, but…

thus far i have only X10 devices, and the EZServe does not correctly detect their on/off status. such a simple thing i had foolishly expected to “just work”. am i missing something?

i think the search feature of this forum should not have such strict requirements. try searching “X10 device status”…

Anonymous

Although it is a few years back when the house was full of X10, most of the X10 devices did not have the ability to report status or even report the success or failure of a specific X10 command. What type of X10 devices do you have that have the ability to report status?

Anonymous

well, that would be the logical answer to my question. i was misinterpreting the activity i saw when trying out Homeseer. i think Homeseer, like the EZServe, was simply monitoring activity it detected and changing device status accordingly. darn.
    thanks!

Anonymous

Most of the X10 modules are receive only and will not respond to a Status Request. The AM14A and LM14A where two way modules
    Some of the Smarthome X10 modules and Insteon modules in the X10 mode can respond to a Status Request.

Anonymous

would it make sense to anyone except me (wouldn’t be surprised if i’m the oddball) that the device does what all the software packages i’ve tried do, namely monitoring the power line and changing the status of the devices according to signals received? the way it stands now, the ezserve just changes displayed X10 device status according to when IT sends and on/off. i have many other modules changing other modules’ status…

Anonymous

no replies, so i’ll try to explain again, what the heck.

i am thinking it would be a good idea for the EZSrve to display on it’s default page the “status” of X10 devices based on what it sees by monitoring the power line for signals. so, for example, if one of my motion detectors sends an A05 ON, then the EZSrve keeps track of this and considers the A05 device(s) ON until it sees or sends an A05 OFF. at the moment, the EZSrve just considers each X10 device’s status to be whatever the EZSrve itself sent last.

Anonymous

@dahlheim wrote:

i am thinking it would be a good idea for the EZSrve to display on it’s default page the “status” of X10 devices based on what it sees by monitoring the power line for signals. so, for example, if one of my motion detectors sends an A05 ON, then the EZSrve keeps track of this and considers the A05 device(s) ON until it sees or sends an A05 OFF. at the moment, the EZSrve just considers each X10 device’s status to be whatever the EZSrve itself sent last.

Except you have no way to know if the X10 device “saw” the on message, since it doesn’t report it’s status. In either case you don’t really know if the status is correct.

Anonymous

@asw24b wrote:

@dahlheim wrote:

Except you have no way to know if the X10 device “saw” the on message, since it doesn’t report it’s status. In either case you don’t really know if the status is correct.

fair enough, but my devices are pretty reliable, and i’d much rather the EZSrve report what the status ought to be based on signals it sees (which it would seem to me to be pretty easy to implement) rather than assuming it is the only controller in the house and reporting based on signals it alone sends.

Anonymous

I agree with you except with X10 the problem is bi-directional. You actually don’t know if the device received the signal from EZSrve or any other X10 controller and you don’t know if EZSrve saw a message from another X10 controller that actually affected the X10 device but was not received by EZSrve. Looking at an X10 device status display would only be maybe this is the status of the X10 devices. That said, other products like Powerhome do reflect the X10 device status based on X10 messages received as well as X10 messages sent. There is a version 2 of EZSrve coming soon according to the release notes document. Perhaps that version will do what you are looking for.

Anonymous

@grif091 wrote:

I agree with you except with X10 the problem is bi-directional. You actually don’t know if the device received the signal from EZSrve or any other X10 controller and you don’t know if EZSrve saw a message from another X10 controller that actually affected the X10 device but was not received by EZSrve. Looking at an X10 device status display would only be maybe this is the status of the X10 devices. That said, other products like Powerhome do reflect the X10 device status based on X10 messages received as well as X10 messages sent. There is a version 2 of EZSrve coming soon according to the release notes document. Perhaps that version will do what you are looking for.

yes, several commercial products watch the powerline commands that way. it can be quite useful, even if x10 isn’t 100% reliable. i’ve created some relatively complex “macros” on a pc using that paradigm, which unfortunately aren’t possible as yet with the EZSrve firmware. for example, “presence detection” in a room which is covered by two motion detectors in different areas. give the motion detectors the addresses A03 and A04, and a lamp in the room B03. then, the pc (hopefully someday the more power-conservative EZSrve) can be programmed with a macro such as (for turning the lamp on:) “(if A03-ON) OR (A04-ON) is seen then send B03-ON”, and (for turning it back off, and also for turning it off if it has come on for some other reason, like false detection, light switch malfunction, manual operation, etc:) “(if A03-ON hasn’t been seen for >1 minute) AND (if A04-ON hasn’t been seen for >1 minute) then send B03-OFF”. this avoids the automatic “OFF” from the EagleEye or ActiveEye turning off the light while i am still in the room but only visible by one or the other motion detector.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.