Any Luck With Vista Compatibility? 2007-07-24T15:49:28+00:00

HOME Forums Software SimpleHomeNet Utility Any Luck With Vista Compatibility?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    #39742 |

Have you guys made any progress getting the utility to work with Vista?

Anonymous

At this time the utility is not compatible with Vista. We have open sourced the utility to try to expedite platforms and functions. It is high on the suite’s support list.

Sorry there is not more progress to report at this time.

Anonymous

How about now? Is version 1.8 Vista compatible?
    The download page still indicates Windows XP.

Thanks

Anonymous

I don’t believe Vista is supported in 1.80. Is it a 64 bit issue or Vista in general, if you know? Also is it connecting to a PLC or EZSrve or does it not come up that far?

Anonymous

I’m just curious whether it would work in general before I expend any time downloading/installing.

I have an EZUIRT I’d like to add functionality to. I guess my options are a) wait for the EZSrve functionality, b) scrounge up an XP machine, c) wait for the Vista compatibility?

Anonymous

Unfortunately I don’t have a Vista environment to test in. I do have the 1.80 source loaded in a VB 2008 express project and I have made some custom additions to the version of the Utility I run on XP so I can make changes if I knew what they should be. The problem so far is no one has provided any specifics about the symptoms; does not install, installs but will not display initial screen, displays initial screen but cannot connect to PLC, displays initial screen but cannot connect to EZSrve, and so on. The PLC path may be a problem as that involves the Smarthome SDM3 and I feel certain if that does not run on Vista it never will. The PLM device seems to be the focus at Smarthome. With HouseLinc 2 running with a PLM only and the serial PLC not shown anymore I think the writing is on the wall. Of course Smarthome is very quiet about future plans so I may be all wet. I ran the Vista evaluation utility on my system long ago and the amount of hardware changes necessary were prohibitive. I’d be happy to make some changes if anyone can contribute specific details as to the failures, symptoms, etc.

Anonymous

I can verify that the SHN utility will run (with some issues) on Vista. I have used it to connect succesfully to an EZSrve.

It finds and connects to the device without issue. If I hit the disconnect it crashes (Vista says SHN Utility Suite stopped working…)

List timers works correctly
    List macros pulls the macros into the control window but not the macro window
    The control window monitors data correctly.
    The manage links window pulls links correctly.
    I haven’t tested extensively, as for some reason my Vista laptop intermittently loses TCP/IP connectivity to the EZSrve, so for the most part I’m doing RDP to a Windows Server 2K3 machine for communicating with the EZServe.

Anonymous

That is great information! Thanks. The error you see when you Disconnnect from EZsrve may not be related to Vista. I see that running on XP. Try using the X button to terminate the Utility after connecting to EZSrve. I’ll look into the Disconnnect and Macro problems.

Using a Laptop you are running Vista 32 bit?

EDIT: the error I see on XP when doing a Disconnect from an EZSrve connection is due to a blocking stream.Read call that throws an exception when the connection is closed. Just need a Try/Catch around the logic in the subroutine to catch the error. I have looked into this in the past. Try using the X button to close out the Utility. This avoids the error on XP.

EDIT2: The Macro List also fails on XP. The data is displayed in the Control window but not the Macro window. I’ll look into this tomorrow.

Thanks for the great work testing on Vista.

EDIT3: the Macro List problem is not specific to Vista. If the number of Macro definitions exceed the size of the stream buffer the Utility tries to assemble a complete Macro file string before processing. There is a problem with the thread the assembly object is in versus the thread the stream.Read is running on. As a result the assembly object being used to hold the composite string is created for each stream.Read which causes the first part of the Macro definitions to be lost. This will take a little thought to fix. You can confirm that the Macro List function will work on Vista by temporarily deleting some of your macro definitions. I did this by saving my macros3.xml file, making a working copy, and deleted all but the first 20 Macro definitions and then uploaded the smaller Macro file. The smaller Macro file was displayed correctly by the Utility on XP. Would assume the same would be true on Vista.

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the laptop is running 32 bit Vista Business. Using the X button to close it works fine. And the macro list displays correctly when I reduce the total number of macros to ~20.

My setup is relatively stable right now and I’m primarily using the EZSrve web interface for minor modifications. I mainly use the SHN Utilities control window to monitor X10 and Insteon traffic, but I occasionally use it to look at and change links. I’ll try to use the Vista laptop the next time I need to change a link and let you know if I have any problems. Is there any other functionality it would be helpful for me to test?

Regards,

Stuart Sweet

Anonymous

Thanks for the information. Really appreciate you testing the X button and Macro List with fewer definitions. It confirms the Utility installs and basically runs on Vista 32 bit using EZSrve with no Vista specific issues so far. I have modified my local copy of the Utility with fixes for the Disconnect problem and the Macro List problem. I passed on my fix for the Disconnect problem to SHN for possible inclusion in a future Utility update but since the X button is a reasonable workaround it may not be a priority, particularly since I suspect SHN is working hard on EZSrve V2. Finished the Macro List problem fix this morning. My 57 Macro definitions now display in the Macro window. I want to test it a little more before passing on those updates to SHN. It turns out the change was much simpler than I originally thought. I don’t know of anything in link management that would have dependencies on the OS platform. Of course that is why we run tests to find the unknown. You could try doing a Display of a device link database. That path makes no changes to the device and would answer the question of whether basic link management will run Vista.

The other aspect that needs testing on Vista is the use of a PLC as the connection device. A PLC involves the use of the Smartlabs Device Manager (SDM3) which is not listed as being supported on Vista. The SDM3 interface introduces another Vista question mark and will probably never be updated for Vista if it has a problem. With major parts of the Utility code common to EZSrve and PLC connections I’m hopeful the SHN Utility PLC path will run on Vista 32 bit if SDM3 will work.

The other Vista question is the 64 bit environment if someone has Vista 64 bit and is interested in testing the Utility.

Thanks Stuart for your efforts in this test. I know several people have been interested in whether the Utility would run on Vista.

Lee

Anonymous

To my pleasant surprise I was able to install the Smartlabs SDM3 (308) on Vista 32 bit and connect the SHN Utility to my PLC. Although not extensively tested I have been able to connect the Utility through the PLC to my EZIO8SA and monitor both the analog and digit outputs of two new EZEyes. Also Displayed the link database in a few of my Insteon devices. I was also able to successfully reproduce what Stuart Sweet had already tested in connecting the Utility to my EZSrve. Displayed the link database in my EZIO8SA as well as doing a successful Timer List. I see the same Macro List problem that Stuart found using the base 1.80 version of the Utility.

That leaves the Vista 64 bit compatibility question.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.