A Simple Macro Question 2008-05-04T17:07:24+00:00

HOME Forums Gateways EZSrve A Simple Macro Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    #39937 |

Can someone tell me step-by-step how to get get a macro up and running on my EZServe that is triggered by an external INSTEON device, such as a paddle switch?

I can get a macro to work fine by giving the paddle switch an X10 address and using this to trigger it; and I can get a macro to work fine based on an event triggered by a timer; but I cannot get a macro to work via an external INSTEON device.

Thanks

Anonymous

I second that – I have not been able to successfully make a macro and find the documentation has a lot of room for improvement. Is there a Wiki? Chances are I’d contribute.

Anonymous

We are working on a Smarthome Power Line Modem issue. We discovered that the modem will not reliably send non-PLM related Insteon traffic.

What does this mean generally?
    Any device in the market using a PLM cannot reliably detect non-device initiated Insteon traffic.

What does this mean for the EZSrve?
    For the EZSrve, the Macros with an INSTEON initiator or “ACTOR” are only partially reliable at best.

What are we doing about it?
    We have three approaches:
    1. Work with Smarthome to resolve the issue
    2. Look at what Simplehomenet can do to FIX the issue
    3. Provide a workaround for the EZSrve as it stands today, where for a macro, the user can select to poll an Insteon device at a specific period. We are going to have this in the next release after 1.50.

We are sorry this problem has occurred, and we are doing everything we can to fix it ASAP.

I second that – I have not been able to successfully make a macro and find the documentation has a lot of room for improvement. Is there a Wiki? Chances are I’d contribute.

this is an excellent idea – we will look into it

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, however, I do not quite understand your answer. Are you telling me that, whereas an INSTEON device can both send and receive INSTEON signals, that the EZSrve can only send INSTEON signals? I hope not since the EZSrve acts as a repeater for INSTEON signals. Is the Smarthome PLM built into the EZSrve because I do not have this device as a standalone unit.

To restate my question “Is it possible to link an INSTEON Paddle Switch as a device to the EZSrve and use it to trigger a macro stored in the EZSrve?” This seems to be well documented as a feature in EZSrve advertisements. I quote from the Smarthome web page, “Event triggered actions are possible with the EZSrve which can receive INSTEON and X10 commands and act according to user defined parameters.” This feature works very well if the INSTEON device is assigned an X10 address – the EZSrve receives the X10 signal and it then acts on it to initiate a macro. I have used this to control a closet light which someone in my household insists on leaving on – once the light is switched on, the X10 command signal generated by the switch activates a macro which shuts the light off a after a two-minute timeout. So, why again can I not do this with an INSTEON signal?

Anonymous

@outofcontrol wrote:

Thanks for the reply, however, I do not quite understand your answer. Are you telling me that, whereas an INSTEON device can both send and receive INSTEON signals, that the EZSrve can only send INSTEON signals? I hope not since the EZSrve acts as a repeater for INSTEON signals. Is the Smarthome PLM built into the EZSrve because I do not have this device as a standalone unit.

The Smarthome PLM is built into the EZSrve. The EZSrve CAN send and receive Insteon signals.

To restate my question “Is it possible to link an INSTEON Paddle Switch as a device to the EZSrve and use it to trigger a macro stored in the EZSrve?” This seems to be well documented as a feature in EZSrve advertisements. I quote from the Smarthome web page, “Event triggered actions are possible with the EZSrve which can receive INSTEON and X10 commands and act according to user defined parameters.” This feature works very well if the INSTEON device is assigned an X10 address – the EZSrve receives the X10 signal and it then acts on it to initiate a macro. I have used this to control a closet light which someone in my household insists on leaving on – once the light is switched on, the X10 command signal generated by the switch activates a macro which shuts the light off a after a two-minute timeout. So, why again can I not do this with an INSTEON signal?

Okay – simply put – there is a bug. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this will / has caused, but know that we are actively working on a solution. We cannot fix this as fast as we would like, as the bug is located in the Smarthome PLM (inside the EZSrve) and is not in our code directly, so the fix is taking a little longer than we would like.

The VERY SHORT term solution is:
    We are going to poll the Insteon device at a period you select, to trigger a macro. (this would have a lag, depending on the polling period)

The real solution is to correct the Smarthome PLM. We are working with Smarthome on this.

We also have a backup solution independent of Smarthome, just in case.

We DO support this feature, and we are working with customers. Feel free to call us or email us directly if you have some very specific needs / requirements. Also, if you want to talk about what you want your network to do, we can typically construct a workaround with you for the short term.

Sorry, and please let me know if you have more questions.

Anonymous

Paul,

I just recently got a SmartLabs PLM and I have been toying with the same thing, trying to make my own homebrew macro controller.

My PLM is revision 63 in case it matters.

I have found that I can make my PLM report events from prospective Actors as long as I “force” Responder links for those Actors into its device table, and then enable Monitor Mode. My Actors don’t even have to be Controllers of the PLM for it to get the traffic. (However, all the better if they are, so they can ensure the traffic is acknowledged).

I had a very difficult time getting my EZSrve to force links into its internal PLM even though the commands to do so are documented – they appear unimplemented and non-operational and return an “Invalid XML” message. I tried this, thinking that this would make my broken macros start working. (I was able to get macros working if I did the normal linking sequence between the EZSrve and my light switch).

Anonymous

I had a very difficult time getting my EZSrve to force links into its internal PLM even though the commands to do so are documented – they appear unimplemented and non-operational and return an “Invalid XML” message. I tried this, thinking that this would make my broken macros start working. (I was able to get macros working if I did the normal linking sequence between the EZSrve and my light switch).

Can you share the XML you used?

In regards to the responder mode, we are probably going to implement that in the next version. The plus side is it does side step the problem with monitoring mode in the PLM so we receive the traffic, the downside is that it will effectively cut the link number in half (from 1024 to 512, since you need a controller and a responder link, assuming you have each device in a group).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.