Reply To: Wiring and grounding, house ground, lightning protection etc 2017-12-21T23:13:42+00:00

HOME Forums Irrigation EZFlora Wiring and grounding, house ground, lightning protection etc Reply To: Wiring and grounding, house ground, lightning protection etc

Anonymous

A little off target but I lost a RainBird irrigation controller last summer due to lightening. With low voltage cable running around the yard from each valve box back to the controller, a close lightening strike can be a problem. In my case, the pump control circuit shorted causing the pump to run without any zone valves being open. Nearly destroyed the irrigation pump. I added a pressure relief valve to avoid that issue in the future. The installation guide I followed even suggested running extra low voltage wires in case lightening damaged a cable. I keep a few value solenoids on hand just in case. I looked for lightening grounding blocks, like you install in coax cable or that the phone company uses where the phone line enters the house, but found none for irrigation systems.