Yes, I am able to control them. The reason I tried adding the devices by hand is that I was able to retrieve status and control them just fine using the utility. I figured that meant communications was working.
But here’s something strange. There is an issue reporting device status for the manually added devices. I clicked the Get Area Status button a couple of times and the page refreshes, but I don’t see the device polling page and progress bar. When I refresh the area containing switches that were added using the Web interface, polling occurs and status is updated correctly.
However, if I select a manually added device and click the On or Off buttons, the lights are controlled correctly.