Reply To: EZX10RF X-10 RF to Insteon Linking Issue 2017-12-22T16:11:26+00:00

HOME Forums Controllers EZX10RF EZX10RF X-10 RF to Insteon Linking Issue Reply To: EZX10RF X-10 RF to Insteon Linking Issue

Anonymous

Thank you, that clarification helps. I have seen different documentation refering to Group and to All-Link, commands/messages, and now knowing that these are the same thing helps a lot. I think SmartLabs should have stuck with the term “Group” commands — “All-Link” commands might be wrongfully interpreted as simlar to or related to “All On / All Off” commands. 🙁

Now that I understand that better, my original question remains. The Simplehomenet documentation implies in many places that the EZX10RF can respond in THREE possible ways. Here are some clips from documentation:

Up to 20 wireless X10 unique devices can be set up to send an INSTEON broadcast message or “linked” with INSTEON devices to send group commands. X10 House/Unit codes are “learned” by EZX10RF such that their activation can trigger INSTEON broadcast messages or group commands to conveniently cause INSTEON events

Depending on how a unique X10 code is set up with EZX10RF, the unit either rebroadcasts the X10 signal, sends an INSTEON broadcast message, or sends an INSTEON group command. An INSTEON group command is sent for a code with a linked record (both “in use” and “linked” flags set). An INSTEON broadcast message is sent for a code where only the “in use” flag is set.

An INSTEON group command is sent for a code with a linked record (both “in use” and “linked” flags set). An INSTEON broadcast message is sent for a code where only the “in use” flag is set.

In the tables that follow, the column heading SE DAB denotes whether the command is Standard-length (S) or Extendedlength (E), and whether it is a Direct (D), ALL-Link (A), or Broadcast (B) command.

So my remaining question is: When would it be useful to send a Broadcast message instead of a Group command?