Thanks, I’ll give that a try.
Follow-up question: Is there something special about I4? I have no problem tap-linking inputs 1, 2, and 3, to Insteon responders, but when I try to tap-link I4, the 2×4 freezes or acts strangely (not consistent) and needs to be unplugged/replugged to start working again.
1. Hold SET button on 2×4 for 10 seconds
2. Release SET button, see if LED goes off
3. If LED is off, tap SET button x times
4. LED should start fast/bright blink, enter Insteon linking mode
5. On responder, hold SET button or paddle until link happens
This works if the value of x is 1, 2, or 3. If the value of x is 4, then step 4 never happens. The LED on the 2×4 either comes on solid (or maybe is just blinking VERY fast, flicking solid on).
I’ve gone ahead and tried step 5 just in case it was a problem with the blink timer, but it doesn’t work. Eventually I fired up another machine and watched the signals; the group enrollment broadcast is never sent.